Brewer Fanatic

The Panic/Relax Thread

BrewCrewRising
  • Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was feeling temporarily better after reading some of the voices of reason here, but then Dave Bush got on the mound today. Yikes.

Aside from CC and Sheets (who may be hurt), I don't feel like our pitching is fundamentally sound. It has moments of solidness and even occasional brilliance, but overall. Yikes.

Aside from CC and Sheets (who may be hurt), I don't feel like our pitching is fundamentally sound. It has moments of solidness and even occasional brilliance, but overall. Yikes.
Right and a team ERA that ranks 5th in all of baseball is just overall a yikes. As a whole the Brewers have the 8th best batting average against.

If you want to see some more stats on the Brewers as a whole pitching wise against the rest of MLB. Here is a link.

Please note that I'm in panic mode right now. So, I admit I'm overreacting.

But still, it's not that I think the pitching is horrible, I just wonder if it's enough to get the job done.

Russ sarcastically questions above, "you mean we don't have five aces in our rotation" to point out that we don't. Nate82 points out that we have a great team ERA. But anybody will point out that Bush and Suppan pitched way over their heads in August to help those numbers along.We don't after all have five aces in the rotation. If Bush and Suppan regress to their lifetime averages, and if we have to depend on a bullpen full of holes, I have to wonder how far we can into the playoffs if we get there at all. We have yet to win a game in a month where the Phillies have an easy schedule.

In real life I try to teeter between concern (occasionally tipping to panic) and optimism. But I need to excercise my panic now.

I don't see any reason to panic. Especially when the last 3 games of the season mean nothing until a team gets withing 3 games of us. That last series of the year could end up being AAA games.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I am very worried and very panicked after looking at what games the Phillies have left. . My hope is that the Phillies sweep the mets this weekend and go into first place, the mets have a tougher games left, I still don't think the Brewers will make the playoffs, Someone please help me calm my fears.

Are you sure you want to wish that with the Brewers having 4 against Philadelphia next weekend?

I don't see much difference in the remaining schedules for the Mets and Phillies. Comparing the two, the Mets have 3 more games vs. Washington than the Phillies do and they have 3 fewer against FL...so that is advantage Mets. The Mets play Chicago 4 times while the Phillies play four against us, so that is advantage Phillies.

If Bush and Suppan regress to their lifetime averages, and if we have to depend on a bullpen full of holes, I have to wonder how far we can into the playoffs

The quality of the #1 and #2 starters is much more important that the rest of the pitching staff in the post season. In the playoffs, Sheets and Sabbathia should start at least 3 games in a 5 game series and in a 7 game series at least 4.

This does feel like last year when we started losing but the Cubs were losing too, so I told myself not to worry because they were not making up ground. However, this team needs to show me a little fire and clutch hitting the next couple days. If we can get on a little role then I wont be worried but this slide seems all to familiar they just waited a lot longer this year to scare (although the Cubs series early did the same)

Some perspective.

Records since August 1, in order of best record as of today;

22 - 09 / Rays

17 - 14 / Angels

20 - 11 / Cubs

21 - 09 / Red Sox

20 - 11 / Brewers

21 - 11 / Mets

18 - 13 / White Sox

17 - 15 / Twins

17 - 15 / Phillies

16 - 16 / Yankees

14 - 15 / Cardinals

24 - 09 / Astros

Losing 4 in a row is never fun, but the wheels are hardly coming off. I'd rather get our slump in now, and hope to be picking it back up for the stretch. Its the opposite of when the Cubs came into town, we had been blistering hot and lucky before that, it was bound to even out and it evened out hard. But we have the same record as the Cubs since that time, and we're hanging with, or winning more, than all of the other top teams.

The Phillies are within 3.5 games. The Brewers offense has scored 16 runs in the past 7 games. Fielder is in the slump of a lifetime, and he's very fat. Ned Yost is still the manager. Gagne, Riske, Weeks, and Hall figure to play prominent roles down the stretch.

I don't feel so good...

I am in complete panic mode right now. The offense has completely tanked the last week and CC and Sheets are the only starters we can trust. Throw in an awful bullpen and Bill hall as an everyday third basemen and there is clearly reason to worry. I am very worried about that series next weekend in Philadelphia.

Baseball is way too streaky for me to be worried about how we have played the last week. My biggest panic is that a 3-4 game lead is not really a very safe lead with 19 games to go especially when we have 6 games against the Cubs and 4 against the phillies. It is just as likely that we play well from tomorrow on now as it was a week ago, the last weeks struggles haven't really changed anything.

On a positive note none of the teams chasing us is playing good baseball over the last ten games outside of Houston. Milwaukee is 5-5, Philly is 5-5, and St. Loius is 4-6. Houston is 9-1, however they are 6 games back with 19 games to play. If we go 9-10 they would have to go 15-4. St. Louis does not scare me. Philly is the team I worry about but they are not really playing that great right now. If we can split with them we will be in great shape.

Tell ya what, lets get this losing out of the way right now and go into the playoffs streaking.

Exactly. Baseball is a streaky sport and the Brewers have often proven they're highly prone to streaking. When we're off, we're really off, even embarrassingly off, but they've responded well all season after going through these slumps. If the Phillies and the Cubs were tearing it up right now, I'd feel different, but as it stands, we're not losing any real ground right now. I think we have a good chance at getting hot at the right time.

Maybe I'm fooling myself, but that's how I see it.

here's a simple way of looking at it. Brewers have 143 games down, 19 to go. With a 4 game lead, if the Brewers go 10-9, the Phillies would have to go 14-5 just to catch them. Likewise, for the Crew to overtake the Cubs, the Cubs need to really struggle. Let's say they go 7-12, then by going 11-8 the Brewers would catch them.

In otherwords, the Brewers can play .500 ball and there's an outstanding chance we're in the playoffs. With 4 against the Phillies and 6 against the Cubs, the Brewers ultimately control their own destiny.

Archived