Brewer Fanatic

6/4/06 - Washington (Armas) @ Milwaukee (JDLR)

bullox
Verified Member
I think walking the 8 hitter was fine. Armas is a career .102 hitter. Throwing fastballs right down the middle to him is better than walking him to get to Soriano.

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Quote:
I can't believe you're defending a pitcher who can't throw three pitches for strikes. They didn't even have to be good pitches, just over the plate. I'll bet half the members of this board could throw three out of seven pitches over the plate.

Keep in mind that he's still in the process of being stretched out into a starter role, and he was already at 95 pitches. I don't care how good your control is, throwing that many pitches is going to be difficult for somebody who, until last week, hadn't started in two years.

Quote:
It's the coaches' responsibility to not put him in a situation that he was in.

So Ned should have taken him out instead of the intentional walk? Then when Winklesass comes in and gives up a hit, everyone is mad that Ned didn't leave him in when he was pitching so well. Fact is, hardly anyone on this board will blame the players before Ned. It's always Yost's fault.

How long do you want to baby him, though? At some point he has to be a real pitcher. If he can't throw 4 pitches for intentional balls (right at the catcher), and then throw 3 down the middle, it's not his manager's fault.

I think alot of you don't really know how to react to all of this, and you're trying to find deeper meaning behind all of our problems... But it's SIMPLE. Fundamentals are KILLING us right now.

Quote:
You want to put the pitcher in the lead-off spot the next inning.

Not in this situation. Since Armas is pitching a heck of a game, we want to force the Nationals to either use a pinch hitter and remove Armas from the game or basically give up the out and end the threat by having the pitcher bat.

On a sidenote, what if the batboy had ignored the umpire initially when told not to pick up the bat, and the ump had gotten mad and tossed him? I have to admit, that would have been kind of funny. Wonder if it's ever (a batboy getting tossed) happened before.

Quote:
Then when Winklesass comes in and gives up a hit, everyone is mad that Ned didn't leave him in when he was pitching so well.

That's assuming a lot. I have little doubt that Winkelsas would have been able to get a career minor leaguer OR a pitcher out.

Quote:
Fact is, hardly anyone on this board will blame the players before Ned. It's always Yost's fault.

Personally, I think its always either Rickie Weeks' defense, or Geoff Jenkins strikeouts' fault.

Quote:
Reading it on this board is the first time I have ever heard that an intentional walk can lead to command problems. Is this true?

Oh yeah, it happens all the time. You know, just about every time Bonds or Pujols gets intentionally walked it usually leads to a big inning because the pitcher tends to forget how to pitch. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/eyes.gif

Archived