Brewer Fanatic

6/4/06 - Washington (Armas) @ Milwaukee (JDLR)

bullox
  • Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Community Moderator

That's just textbook coaching. The manager has to decide to pinch hit for the pitcher in a close game, he doesn't, and it should be an easy out. It's not Ned's fault that JDLR can't throw one freaking strike.

That is true, but it is questionable in the first place to put a guy with questionable control in that position.

I have a problem with the move in hindsight (or execution) but not in theory.

I'm more miffed that the coaching staff didn't seem to recognize that Jorge had clearly hit the wall.

I could have understood the intentional walk if it wasn't the 8 hole, or if it were to set up a double play. I don't get the idea of getting to the pitcher. Isn't it better to retire the side and put the pitcher in the lead-off spot for the next inning? Even if it didn't work out as poorly as it did?

Quote:
Who else out there is laughing (at least a little bit inside right now)? I know I'm not the only one. This is borderline ridiculous so how can you not laugh? Someone better be fired or demoted after this one.

Jorge piched well other than listening to Yost and then walking the pitcher. Of course he gets no love from the bullpen.

Wikelsas usually pitches decently. He cant leave a 2-2 fastball up there though. He came in to induce a ground ball so he should keep the freaking ball down.

Yost wont be going anywhere.

EDIT - other than the clubhouse

Quote:
Again, you're telling a guy with control problems to walk someone.

I can't believe you're defending a pitcher who can't throw three pitches for strikes. They didn't even have to be good pitches, just over the plate. I'll bet half the members of this board could throw three out of seven pitches over the plate.

Community Moderator

That is total, total crap by the homeplate umpire.

First and formost, how in the heck does he know that Hall's not frustrated that he and the rest of the team are playing like crap, and that it has ANYTHING to do with the strike call?

Following the player to the dugout and insisting that he get the bat is pure bush league by the ump.

Even Hall is stuck in the slump. The only 2 guys that ARE hitting (Hart and Cirillo) don't start.

But oh my God, Wolf, you're not his mother. If the batboy is going to pick up the bat, let him pick up the bat.

If Ned lets JDLR pitch to the #8 hitter and he singles in a run, this board is imploding since everyone would be wondering why he didn't walk him to get to the pitcher.

You can blame Ned for a lot of things, but he did the right thing. Sometimes you've got to hold the players accountable.

Yost has demonstrated time and time again that he has no clue on how to instill confidence in young pitchers.

Some will remember two years ago when Hendrickson pitched 5 very good innings. It would have been a smart move to remove him and let him feel good about his outing. But no, that thought never entered Ned's head. Ben got rocked in the 6th.

Ned messed with Obermueller so much, start a game, sit for two weeks, start a game, sit two more weeks, on on and on, that the guy became a basket case.

Today, he basically tells JDLR, "We have no confidence you can get out career minor leaguer Mike Vento", then is surprised he can't throw a strike to the pitcher.

Community Moderator

I can't believe you're defending a pitcher who can't throw three pitches for strikes.

The dude is a reliever who was in his sixth inning of work in his second start of the year. He had CLEARLY hit the wall. It's the coaches' responsibility to not put him in a situation that he was in.

If Ned lets JDLR pitch to the #8 hitter and he singles in a run, this board is imploding since everyone would be wondering why he didn't walk him to get to the pitcher.

You want to put the pitcher in the lead-off spot the next inning. Walking the number 8 is a no confidence move by Ned.

Verified Member

I hate to be Captain Obvious, but if Yost has to work strategy around whether JDLR will lose command because he has to walk someone intenionally, then maybe JDLR just isn't good enough to be pitching.

I know some people really like JDLR because he has electric stuff, and I know a lot people are more knowlegdable than me, but I just don't think he is a major league pitcher.

Quote:
Pitchers can hit you know.

Are you actually suggesting that they needed to be caereful with Armas? With Soriano on deck nonetheless? Hell, if the pitcher pokes a double down the line, more power to him. At least you didn't lose him on a walk.

When you're facing a pitcher batting .045, you attack him. You don't fall behind 3-0. That's just the way it is. A pitcher hitting .045 does not hit well enough to justify not throwing him strikes. I don't care if he throws him 3 meatballs right down the plate. Don't walk him.

Archived