Brewer Fanatic

Trip at the Brain...

cooprules

Since the addition of our new plasma tv to the household, I have a circuit breaker tripping everytime my wife uses the hairdryer when the tv is on. While I would somehow love to blame it on my wife's use of this outlandish follicle de-wetting contraption, the sensible part of my brain realizes this problem is probably due to the new tv.

Any electricians in the house? What are my options? I have the tv on a surge protector but I'm not sure exactly if that's supposed to help.

Thanks!

That hairdryer could be replaced with a newer model that uses less juice. That might take care of it. Wait, why would your tv be on the same circuit as the bathroom? That's probably not ideal.
Also, I always suggest with expensive electronics to use a battery backup rather than a surge protector. You can get an APC battery backup at any office supply or electronics store for $40-80, depending on the wattage your particular model uses. That won't solve your issue, but it might protect the tv from damage. Also check to be sure you have the right size breaker/fuse. It should be either 15 or 20 amp. 15 if the circuit uses 14 ga wire, 20 if 12 ga.

The hairdryer is likely using 4,5, maybe 9 times the power of the TV. Plasma TV's at that size seem to use 200-500 watts while hairdryers can use way more. I just checked my girlfriends - 1875 watts.

Like slobberknocker said, it may be a wiring oddity, as the bathroom is generally gonna be on a different circuit than the living room.

I guess add wiring to the list of head scratchers on this house. We've had quite a few issues regarding everything from layout to ductwork to landscaping, and now this. I guess the battery backup is the best thing right now, as the tv is the biggest investment involved I'm worried about losing. I'll have to have someone come over to see about getting the tv/bathroom on different circuits. Thanks!

Archived