Brewer Fanatic

Brewers Announce Their Organizational Player and and Pitcher of the Year Awards

Mass Haas

The Nashville Site the first with the news that we could see:

Brewers Announce 2008 Minor League Player And Pitcher Of The Year Awards

There was a tie for the Player of the Year Award.

Since there will be plenty of discussion within this thread (we hope), only the first few seeing this will get to play along and see if they "guessed" right based on any earlier conversations here (or just click on the link without letting your eyes wander below)..

Nice to see co-winners of the player of the year award. They're both deserving, and I'm sure some may make a case for a third.

The pitcher of the year award is much tougher, because no one in the system stood out, at least not statistically.

I hope I'm not spoiling anything, but Omar Aguilar could have been a legitimate candidate for this award given his success over two levels. He has steadily progressed through the Brewers system, and put up some very encouraging numbers this year while tossing quite a few innings (63.2) for a closer, even though he did pitch multiple innings more than big-league closers do. Plus, he finished the year incredibly strong, giving up only one earned run over the last month of the season.

Tough year to choose though. Here's hoping the herd of arms the team drafted this past June will make this award more interesting/exciting at this time next year.

No arguement with the bats, though a certain catcher was probably deserving as well.

The pitcher actually surprises me, he's been very up and down. I would have thought that either of the 2 pitchers I pegged in A ball would have won it, but I'm not surprised by any of the 3 picks.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

I was hoping that David Welch, he of a no-hitter and a 1-hitter (both 7-inning games though) could have won it, but he faltered a little down the stretch. Aguilar was a great mention too, especially if you look at how he has settled down over the last month or so. It appears they want to reward legitimate prospects with the awards moreso than statistical achievements, but certainly Gamel and Escobar were very deserving considering the production and the level they are at.

I think it's pretty safe to say that no pitcher really had a year that stood out dramatically.
I guess that depends on what one would consider dramatic because Chris Cody and Bobby Bramhall were pretty outstanding all year. Some recent draftees also were dominant (Luetge, Wooten) but playing half a season I wouldn't have considered them, the same goes for Scapetta who I consider part of this year's draft class.

Here's a link to the previous thread discussing this topic.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

I would think they'll let Salome produce huge numbers in AAA next year, while Escobar and Gamel are up with the ig club, enabling him to sweep OPotY honors. But honestly, he is the minor leaguer who excites me the most in the Brewers' org., at least until LaBat Blue (Lawrie) gets to show off the stick.

How does that message apply if you're Salome?

The Jeffress and Salome situations are very different. Salome appears to have made a mistake and moved on, whereas it was much harder for Jeffress, who failed multiple tests and clearly had to make some pretty significant lifestyle changes.

Archived