Brewer Fanatic

Google Chrome (new browser)

Brian the Automator

Used Chrome a little at work today and it's definitely better than IE for what I need to do. My job involves a lot of typing into our database at work and normally I would use the Google toolbar to spell check at the end of typing and this would then pick up misspelled words. Chrome underlines words as you type (in the same general way as Microsoft Word). This saves me a ton of time as I don't have to spell check at the end, I can do it as I go. I'm probably a rare exception, but Firefox is not something I enjoy but Chrome definitely has some promise.

On the surface most of it is no different than Opera or FF. The big difference is the process per tab, and the new JS engine, although I fully expect the next iteration of the various browsers to approach its speed anyway. I don't see any compelling reason to switch from Opera, but it'll be interesting to see what Google does with their apps now that they have their own browser.

It's interesting. As TC said it's process per tab could be a really nice feature. Google said that even if they don't get as much market penetration, they will at least influence the way browsers are developed. Look at what IE has done since Mozilla started getting market share. Tabbed browsing, Built in popup blocking, more extensions.

I finally dabbled with it this morning. The speed certainly stood out, and even with Firefox fixing it's previous memory leak with tabs, Chrome performs even better with them. I won't be switching over, but I'll be keeping an eye on it as it develops.

According to a Yuku staff member, Chrome is based on Apple's Webkit (Safari). That means it won't support Yuku's WYSIWYG editor. Members choosing this browser should:

• Hit the Account link in the navigation bar.
  • Follow the preferences link.
  • Choose "bbcode" under Editor Type.
  • Hit the Submit button at the bottom of the page.

This is also what users of Safari and other Safari-based browsers should do. Of course, if you prefer it, the bbcode editor is an option no matter which browser you use.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

As other people have said, the extensions will keep me with Firefox, but damn, Chrome is faaaaast.
Not a techie here, but could the speed go down as thousands of people start using it? Just curious. Because I tried it, and it does seem to be faster, and I do like the way Google search is integrated.

I've tried it, use it some, but I miss some stuff. I have the Google toolbar installed on Firefox, and I miss my Gmail, CNN, and YouTube buttons from that toolbar. I wish you could put those on Chrome as well. Plus, I subscribe to some blogs, and I can't figure out how to put their links in the toolbar, either.

Archived