Brewer Fanatic

9/2/08 Mets (Niese) at Brewers (Parra): 7:05 PM CDT

wibadgers23
Weeks scored two runs tonight and went 4-5. You gotta take the good with the bad if you want to jump on him this evening, at least.

True, but this isn't anything new for Rickie. Mental mistakes and extremely costly errors are something you can depend on him to commit. If he didn't inexplicably walk a lot, there would be no reason for him to even be in the majors. I don't know many teams that are allowing a .225 leadoff hitter to stay in their lineup.

I wouldn't call his ability to draw walks inexplicable. IMO, he's patient to a fault. He knows as a leadoff hitter he has to take a lot of pitches, which is why he almost always lets the first ball go down the middle for a strike. He draws a lot of walks because he goes deep into a lot of counts; he strikes out a lot for the same reason because he has to protect the plate with two strikes. He sees a lot of balls out of the zone because pitchers think/know that he tends to get himself out a lot, so they're going to take a chance by throwing him a lot of garbage. Weeks' patience is good enough to take advantage of that, but his strike zone recognition (subtle difference) still gets him into trouble. As for him staying in the leadoff spot despite the .230 average, I agree that he's been miscast as a leadoff guy every since he landed in Milwaukee. However, I don't know many teams that don't have an option that's much better. Hart hits for better contact but has a worse OBP all year, Counsell has no business getting regular PT over Weeks, and Durham hasn't been all that great since he's gotten to Milwaukee, either. The Brewers are kinda stuck with Weeks hitting leadoff, at least in my opinion.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why does this game have to be 100% Weeks' fault in order to be upset that he constantly makes stupid, costly mental errors?

He gets thrown out jogging to second, drops a throw right in his glove that leads to the game-losing run, and then strikes out to end the game. But it's okay because other players are at fault too? No, it doesn't make it okay. Weeks is a complete disappointment as a baseball player. When he took off for third while Suppan was still standing there a couple of days ago, I realized his mental capacity hasn't improved one iota since he entered the league.

Do you think he's the sole reason the Brew Crew lost tonight? Do you think he's the primary reason we lost tonight? Do you not think his bat tonight was a big reason the Brewers were even in it?

There's a big difference with getting upset and being disappointed with his general play and putting the albatross around his neck for tonight's--tonight's--loss.

second Rickie only really had 3 hits since he got thrown out on one of them.
If he had struck out instead people would be complaining that he went 3 for 6. He scored two runs.

And if Sal doesn't let David Murphy get the hit then Weeks error is meaningless, if we want to play ifs and buts.

I know that IF the ball hits me in the glove I would catch it at first BUT then again I am not scared of contact like Rickie.. I mean his major problem is he rushes DP's.. doesn't that make you believe he is nervous about the runner.. that was the worse case of alligator arms I have ever seen..

The point is, just because he did give us a few runs tonight doesn't absolve the fact that he made more stupid, stupid mistakes that were responsible for the loss. He's done it in many, many games, and regardless of whether or not he knocks in some runs, it is absolutely inexcusable at this level of play.

Just because JJ was thrown out doesn't mean Sveum was stupid to send him. Did you see how close Hardy was? He couldn't have been any closer! The LF connected on an amazing throw that is unlikely to happen. There was a good chance Hardy is safe on that. But yeah, we may have won if he didn't.

If we miss the playoffs, I'm just done with baseball forever. I'm moving to Seattle in a few months for a new job, and I will make it out of sight, out of mind. The baseball season is far too long for me get crushed like this three years in a row.
What? what are you going to do in Seattle? Watch NBA basketball?

Do you think he's the sole reason the Brew Crew lost tonight? Do you think he's the primary reason we lost tonight? Do you not think his bat tonight was a big reason the Brewers were even in it?

There's a big difference with getting upset and being disappointed with his general play and putting the albatross around his neck for tonight's--tonight's--loss.

Did you even read my post? The general idea behind it was that he doesn't necessarily have to be fully to blame for a loss, in order to be completely disappointed with his play.

For the record, I do think he was a factor in the loss tonight. Maybe only like 10%, but still, it's just something that gets added to the compilation that is his career filled with bad at-bats, piss poor fielding, and stupid decisions. He did have some nice hits tonight, but it doesn't mean much when you can't make routine, fundamental plays during the rest of the game.

The point is, just because he did give us a few runs tonight doesn't absolve the fact that he made more stupid, stupid mistakes that were responsible for the loss.
There was one mistake that was partially--partially--responsible for the loss, and that was the error. There's no guarantee anyone would've drove him in had he made second.

I mean, the error doesn't take those runs off the board, either. If it did, or lax baserunning did, the Brewers lose in regulation.

Oh, I give up: you guys are right, it's all that stupid idiot turd Rickie Weeks' fault the Brewers lost tonight. Oooooh I hate him! I hate him I hate him I hate him!!!!

There's no guarantee anyone would've drove him in had he made second.
I'm still not sure how that makes it acceptable. Are all stupid mistakes okay, if you can't prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that cost the team a run or the game?

Oh, I give up: you guys are right, it's all that stupid idiot turd Rickie Weeks' fault the Brewers lost tonight. Oooooh I hate him! I hate him I hate him I hate him!!!!

Making up strawman quotes that don't represent what anybody actually thinks. A true sign of desperation for somebody who doesn't have much to fall back on while debating.

If we miss the playoffs, I'm just done with baseball forever.

I'm starting to feel the same way. I just can't take any more heartbreak. If this team craps all over me again, I'm going to take five steps back and watch as an informed observer. There's never going to be a better chance -- if they blow this one, I just can't take it anymore. It's not like I'm asking for a trip to the World Series -- just a freakin postseason berth!

Making up strawman quotes that don't represent what anybody actually thinks. A true sign of desperation for somebody who doesn't have much to fall back on while debating.

Says the guy who uses name-calling of players as a primary posting tool.

Three of the first five posts at the end of the game directly invoked Weeks, and I'm willing to bet they would likely have regardless of whether it had been him or Ray Durham striking out. This after a page and half moan-fest about the guy earlier on. Prince didn't get the dogpile. Braunie didn't get the dogpile. Corey didn't get the dogpile. Manny didn't get the dogpile.

I know Weeks hasn't done much to earn the benefit of the doubt around here, but people were way too eager to jump on his back and not give him the credit he was due tonight. Maybe he was 10% of the reason they lost; he was 20% of the reason they were even in it.

There's no guarantee anyone would've drove him in had he made second.
I'm still not sure how that makes it acceptable. Are all stupid mistakes okay, if you can't prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that cost the team a run or the game?
It's not acceptable, but neither can it locked down as a "mistake that [was] responsible for the loss."

So I'm arguing with a guy on another board. He's saying that Weeks was safe and can't believe anybody thinks otherwise. I said he was out and it was fairly obvious on the replay. Since I'm really stupid when it comes to technology (how did I turn this computer on? http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif ) if somebody has it recorded and can make a freeze frame of the play it would be much appreciated.

Not necessary so if you have it and don't want to do it, that's fine. It would be much appreciated if someone could do it though.

Prince didn't get the dogpile. Braunie didn't get the dogpile. Corey didn't get the dogpile. Manny didn't get the dogpile.

I know Weeks hasn't done much to earn the benefit of the doubt around here, but people were way too eager to jump on his back and not give him the credit he was due tonight.

You finally hit the nail on the head. You keep (mistakenly) thinking that all the vitriol is about this one game. It's not. Like I said, it's a compilation of all of the blunders he always makes.

That's why people give somebody like Hart a break, even when he has a bad game. All things considered, Hart has proven himself to be a competent baseball player. Weeks is anything but. It's great that he finally got a few hits, but it's pretty fleeting when he does two bone-headed things later in that very game. Also, if you look back through the thread, you'll see a lot of people are starting to get down on Prince -- so it's not just Weeks. He's just the primary mistake-maker on the team.

SeriesFinale wrote:

Three of the first five posts at the end of the game directly invoked Weeks, and I'm willing to bet they would likely have regardless of whether it had been him or Ray Durham striking out. This after a page and half moan-fest about the guy earlier on. Prince didn't get the dogpile. Braunie didn't get the dogpile. Corey didn't get the dogpile. Manny didn't get the dogpile.

You must of missed the posts that deemed Prince Fielder to be a fat, smelly turd.

The increasing level of reactionary discourse in these threads is greatly disappointing. Is this what losing a few games does to people? I don't want to single anyone out, but there are certain posters on here that I enjoy reading their posts 99% of the time, but have seemed to have lost their objectivity a few hours back. I can't ever fault people for feeling disappointment, but I wish it wouldn't have such a drastic affect on the quality of posting.

I do however, appreactiate the attempts at quantifying a percentage of the loss on certain players. That's my cup of tea. Put me down for .3% because I was only half-watching.

was at the game tonight and it continues to amaze me in this quick-to-boo-anyone town that prince continues to get a pass when he very rarely produces when it matters. it's almost like everyone just expects him to kill the rally and just is content to sit there and accept it.

loved seeing gagne get the 1-2-3 inning after being booed loudly the moment he left the bullpen door. wouldn't have faulted him if he had flipped the crowd off while walking back the dugout.

The increasing level of reactionary discourse in these threads is greatly disappointing. Is this what losing a few games does to people? I don't want to single anyone out, but there are certain posters on here that I enjoy reading their posts 99% of the time, but have seemed to have lost their objectivity a few hours back. I can't ever fault people for feeling disappointment, but I wish it wouldn't have such a drastic affect on the quality of posting.
It's the in-game thread. It's generally considered a place where more emotional, and less-well-thought-out posts are somewhat expected and acceptable. If you don't like that kind of stuff, avoid in-game threads and probably the vent thread. Stick to the rest of the stuff in Major League forum.

And for the record, at the time I wrote it, I really felt in my heart that Prince was being a big smelly turd. It was just for poops and giggles. Relax.

DougJones43 wrote:

If you don't like that kind of stuff, avoid in-game threads and probably the vent thread. Stick to the rest of the stuff in Major League forum.

Gotcha. Can't win, don't try. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

was at the game tonight and it continues to amaze me in this quick-to-boo-anyone town that prince continues to get a pass when he very rarely produces when it matters. it's almost like everyone just expects him to kill the rally and just is content to sit there and accept it.

loved seeing gagne get the 1-2-3 inning after being booed loudly the moment he left the bullpen door. wouldn't have faulted him if he had flipped the crowd off while walking back the dugout.

Ya, I was at the game as well, and discussed pinch hitting for Prince in the 9th. We came to the decision that the crowd would never understand that move, after they brought in a lefty to face Prince, and would boo worse than they did for Gagne.

Arizona 5-2

Cubs 4-6

Dodgers 2-4

Mets 2-3

Philly 1-1

St. Louis 10-5

24-20

14-15 against teams that don't play in Busch Stadium

I'd love to see that record be better, but aside from that four-game FAIL against the Cubs earlier this year, I haven't seen any evidence that the Crew would be overmatched against any of these teams in the playoffs.

Archived