Brewer Fanatic

Power 50 for September is up!

Trowekamp

my thoughts:

1. Escobar - Didn't tail off like Gamel. My prediction is he will be SS next year, Weeks will be traded and Hardy will be at 2B.

2. Salome - Catcher much more valuable than 3B and equally defensively challenged.

3. Gamel - cuts errors by 40%

4. Jeffress - Needs a couple of years to work on his craft

5. Lucroy - Lucroy makes the case that Salome may eventually need to move.

6. Green - It was nice having you here.. though I think you will be in Cleveland next year.

7. Brantley - would make a nice 4th or 5th OFer next year

8. Gillepsie - Estimated AAA 2009 Stats: .290 20HRs 86 RBI's 24 SB's.

Don't forget Lawrie..based on ceiling I'd have him in the top 5

Also, it's exciting to see some pitching AND hitting prospects hitting AA. Aguilar, Jeffress, Periard, etc. Even Braddock is sort of on the Parra schedule (ie, just stay healthy, and it'll come). Several catchers on the rise. Next year's A+, AA, and AAA rosters should be loaded

1. Escobar - Didn't tail off like Gamel. My prediction is he will be SS next year, Weeks will be traded and Hardy will be at 2B.

Moving Hardy to 2B would be a bad, bad move IMO. SS or 3B, but not 2B. The real question is what do we get for Weeks or Hardy. I think Weeks fetches a bag of baseballs and we're not going to make a drastic move just to get rid of Weeks. Escobar is going to be in AAA most of next year. His bat wasn't ready this year and now he's ready for MLB pitching? I personally would be a bit cautious, but I do think he'll be in Milwaukee for a long time.

League average 2B are dealt for nice packages all the time. Factor in his potential, youth, and cheapness, Weeks is worth plenty. DC offered Chad Cordero for him last offseason, for example.

Those in the business know not to let BA bother them, and they won't.

The problem with Weeks is that other teams may not see him as a 2B. If he's seen as an OF, his value goes down quite a bit. He seems to be a little better this year defensively, but he still must rate as solidly below average. I think the Brewers hold onto him for another year though.

I'm interested to see how Salome and LuCroy are ranked in this P50. LuCroy has had better results defensively but Salome has been better offensively at a higher level at the same age. Salome's OPS+ is 161 and LuCroy's in Brevard is 138 (still excellent). LuCroy is a year younger than the average FSL hitter, but Salome is 2 1/2 years younger than the average Southern League hitter. I think Salome should get the edge due to the better hitting at a higher level, but there seems to be a groundswell for LuCroy.

His bat wasn't ready this year and now he's ready for MLB pitching?
Escobar hit fantastic all season at AA against some tough competition. He also played with the big boys for most of Spring Training and held his own quite nicely.

You might be right - but I don't think you can say with 100% certainty that Escobar is not ready for MLB pitching.

Escobar has to be number one. Gamel has slipped but probably not too far. I was disappointed to see him called up though. It looks like the guys who called LaPorta over Gamel were right. God, I'm so naive. I should have know that if I think someone is great he isn't.

I just want to point out that the P50 isn't a hot list. Just because Gamel had a slow last couple of months doesn't mean he slides out of the #1 spot, and it also doesn't mean he's a horrible prospect. The errors were still high, but they still were down from last year, and that is what the minors are all about: Getting better from one year to the next, which no prospect in the Brewers system has done as well as Gamel has since joining the organization.

FYI, it's Lucroy, not LuCroy.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Escobar has to be number one. Gamel has slipped but probably not too far. I was disappointed to see him called up though. It looks like the guys who called LaPorta over Gamel were right. God, I'm so naive. I should have know that if I think someone is great he isn't.

It is wayyyyyyyyyyyyy too early to tell who's better between Gamel and Laporta.

And for what it's worth, I'd have Salome over Lucroy based on ceiling alone.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

There's no way Fryer, a 22-year-old who spent the whole season in the Sally League, is ahead of Lawrie. The upside just isn't there. For perspective, he's almost a year older than Lucroy, who was himself old for the league and ineligible for BA's Hot Sheet until he was promoted.

bk, I'm curious why you are now singing a different tune about Fryer than you have been about Lucroy all year. Fryer isn't the prospect Lucroy is, but to dismiss him out of hand while being quite bullish on Lucroy seems a bit strange. Lucroy is obviously better defensively, but we don't know that Fryer is so bad as to have no chance at sticking at C.

Oh I'm not dismissing Fryer out of hand at all; I have him ranked 23rd on my own list over at BCB. His numbers at WV are undeniable in their quality, but he's also almost a year older than Lucroy and a level behind him, and not as well-regarded defensively. Steffan Wilson is in a similar boat.

Oh I'm not dismissing Fryer out of hand at all; I have him ranked 23rd on my own list over at BCB. His numbers at WV are undeniable in their quality, but he's also almost a year older than Lucroy and a level behind him, and not as well-regarded defensively. Steffan Wilson is in a similar boat.
I agree that Lawrie will most likely blow by him but the fact remains that he has zero professional at bats and is as likely to play 2b as C.. Also I find it hard to penalize Fryer for having Lucroy and Salome ahead of him.. 3 years ago he would have been promoted all the way to AA.... that is all I am saying.. I like to at least see someone hit a professional pitcher with a wood bat while playing everyday before saying he is better than someone who hit .330+ in a full season.

I like to at least see someone hit a professional pitcher with a wood bat while playing everyday before saying he is better than someone who hit .330+ in a full season.
I believe Lawrie has extensive experience with a wood bat.

Actually, I believe it was his performance in an all wood bat league that vaulted him into the national spotlight. (But then, I've been wrong before)

I believe Lawrie has extensive experience with a wood bat.

Actually, I believe it was his performance in an all wood bat league that vaulted him into the national spotlight. (But then, I've been wrong before)

You are right he does which is why I added the professional pitchers playing everyday as I can go to the local park and watch beer league baseball with wooden bats play every weekend and watch a guy hit .600.. I think Lawrie will be fine.. of course I thought Rickie Weeks would become Gary Sheffield so what do I know.. I just don't like to rank a HS player that high until you can see him in the minors for a little while.

Archived