Brewer Fanatic

need to get in shape..how?

jason21nl

Ok, I'm getting way outta shape and need to do something about it. Now I have joined gyms before, but I don't really like going to them and end up wasting money. I'm not trying to build muscle, just want to lose some lbs off the waist and if possible make my face not as fat. Anyone have any ideas on good exercises or what I could and should do? I know pushing away from the table is a must, but what kinda food should I eat? Any help would be apprciated.

my stats:

29 years old

5'5"

I'm not fat, more stocky.

I would google "core training", there are tons of core excises to firm up the mid section, hips/thighs/butt then it's cardio my friend. You either need a machine of some sort, like an eliptical machine or treadmill, or just run. Core excercises, a good diet (no soda, fast food, etc), and 20-30 minutes of cardio should do the trick. If you jog, I'd recommend spending money on a good pair of running shoes and decent socks to avoid as many issues as possible, including shin splints. If you can, run on a good surface like a modern track that most high schools and colleges have, the extra cushion will save your legs some abuse. Your daily workout time should end up being around 40 minutes tops. As a frame of reference my lifting routine takes me about 1:10 and then I play basketball, but on days when I lift by myself I do 25 minutes of cardio when I'm done lifting on the eliptical or stair master (depends on the crowd at the Y that morning)because I honestly hate running. I can play BBall all day long, I love to compete, but when I'm just "running" I drive myself crazy for whatever reason.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

i teach and actually took a high school girls golf coaching job in part because I'll walk roughly 4k yards per day, or 2.5 miles. In the past I lost weight by eating the same, but by jogging half an hour each night. The problem is that I don't have a workout partner and am just not mentally disciplined enough for that.

On the intake side of things, try writing down all the food that you eat and track the calories. Dhonks has a good plan, if you could also start (or end) your day with a little physical activity so you are doing something active twice a day, the weight will fly off of you.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I think one key to sticking with a diet is finding one thing you eat/drink all the time that's bad for you and cutting it out of your diet. Soda is a huge one for a lot of people. Once you conquer that, move on to replacing something not so good with something good - like fruit or granola (Bear Naked is a good brand) instead of chips.

As for exercise, if all you are trying to do is lose a few pounds you just need to find something you can do 3 or 4 times a week that raises your heart rate about 25 - 30% from resting for about 20 - 30 minutes per session. Jogging is a cheap way to do it, but biking is fine too. If you're not into that stuff find a team sport like basketball.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Jogging has really helped me get into shape. It's free (aside from the shoes, which you can't really scrimp on) and you can make tangible goals and progressions. I started running for real in May. I was not good at it. It was hard. Now I'm trying to run a 10K in October. It's still hard and I'm still not that good, but I've found it much easier to stick with than other workout programs because there's something to run for. There's always a personal record to break or a new distance to try to run. Depending on where you live, you can run different routes to change it up. Signing up for local road races is an awesome way to keep yourself motivated too.

Diet will do more for you than exercise. If you watch what you eat, you typically won't be fat while you can eat crap and work out but still be fat. The biggest thing for most people is to not drink your calories. Never breaking from diet soda, water, Crystal Light, and light beer are a big step in the right direction for most people. Also, use a lot of filler in your meals like cabbage or something else that will make you full but not contain a lot of calories. It seems like less of a sacrifice that way.

I lost about 40 lbs since May. The dieting part was most difficult for me. Portion size is huge. I like to buy those microwave dinners (Michelina's Lean Gourmet are cheap and pretty good). They are a good way to control how much you eat. Other than that I replaced cereals like Fruit Loops with All Bran Berries and other higher fiber choices. They are tasty and MUCH more filling than sweet cereals.

The main thing is that you have to really want to make the change. It'll seem like sacrificing at first, but you'll just feel better after you get used to your new routine.

don't discount muscle-building. you burn 75% of your calories per day when you're sedentary, and more lean muscle will up the calories you burn per hour. that said, if you choose to build some muscle, do what Crew07 suggested and do some core exercises, ones like dips and pullups and squats that target a bunch of muscle groups at once. you don't have to join a gym to do those.

the nice thing about whatever sort of exercise you choose, it will help to reduce your appetite, and you'll start to get full faster. it's not possible for most people, but if you can do 4-5 small meals per day instead of three bigger ones, that's also better. and don't skip breakfast, since it will help boost your metabolism throughout the day.

i think you'll find once you start counting your calories and fat intake, that you won't have a terrible time at getting less than 2,000 calories per day. it's really not that hard to do the running math in your head through the day.

pastas are great as long as you're exercising, replace the butter with olive oil, and cut the cheese and beer. catch the salads with low-fat dressing when you're out instead of the fried foods. i also cut out most all red meat (not that it's really terrible for you) for lean meats like skinless chicken and turkey.

yeah, exercise isn't exactly critical, but it's definitely nice that you can go out and exercise for just a short bit and burn off all the calories you had from lunch. plus it helps in that you don't then have to get on such an extreme diet, which overall makes things easier to stick with for a long time rather than the temporary diets that don't work in the end.

that said, if you choose to build some muscle, do what Crew07 suggested and do some core exercises, ones like dips and pullups and squats that target a bunch of muscle groups at once. you don't have to join a gym to do those.

I think what Game05 is suggesting is "compound" excersises. Dips, pullups, bench press, and squats will work more muscles in less time and allow you to lift heavier weights. It is also safer for a beginner and more efficient overall.

Whatever route you decide to go, the key is to find something you can stick with. It sounds like you have tried to get in better shape before and not been successful. If you really want to change, you need to "adjust" your lifestyle to become more healthy. Even if it is only small changes, it is better than nothing.

Personally, I know I hate running. I find it boring and painful. Now, if I am chasing down a flyball in softball, skiing down a mountain, or playing soccer, I seem to not notice how much I hate cardio because my mind is on the task at hand. That, combinded with eating a diet most hear would think is crazy, is what seems to be working well for me. Most people are not willing to completly adjust what they eat like I have though. Sill, I know a lot of people who put on a bit of a gut after college and were able to make significant improvments from small changes and "sacrifices." You just have to adjust your "sacrifices" to fit your level of will power. (I have one friend who lost 15 lbs just from drinking 3 diet cokes a day instead of 5 regular cokes.) I enjoy eating healthy, and now if I eat some junk food or even fast food, I honastly don't enjoy it at all. Thats how I know that its more of a lifestyle instead of a diet, which I think is very important.

If I was in your position, I would eat around 2,500 cals a day, lift weights 3 days a week for 30-45 min, and loose 1.5-2 lbs per week. If you are lifting correctly, the majority of that weight loss will be fat. If you just eat less and do cardio without lifting, you will be loosing fat and muscle.

Thats just my 2 cents though. Everyone has different goals and ideas of healthy...I hope you can figure out what yours is and achieve it.

thanks for the advice! its very much appreciated. I think I have a lot of info to go off of and I really am going to make an effort to do this. I really want to get back into good shape, and I think it will help with my shattered self esteem. Thanks again

I'm in this boat as well. I'm going to be a dad in about 7 months, so I want to start getting myself in shape. I put on lots of weight in the last 12 years by eating lots and lots of unhealthy food. Now, I'm 6'0, 297 and don't want to be. I've fought this battle on and off, and I'll do well for a while, lose 20-25 pounds in a span of time, and then something comes along and I get off the right eating track and I'm back to where I started again. Now, it seems that this time is going to be different. My motivation I think is not just to look better, or be healthier just for me or my wife, but for my coming child. My biggest challenge is exercise. I can eat healthy (for a time, at least!) but the exercise is what I struggle with. I want to get up in the morning, while it's still cool, and go for a long walk. That's my hope, now that I'm getting back into the routine of life. So, it's really a matter of eating the right foods and exercise. I know this, but knowing and doing at times are 2 separate issues.

One thing to remember, you can't "spot lose" body fat. Sometimes people tend to focus on working out a specific body part (like the abs) thinking that will reduce their waistline. The only thing that will reduce your flab is lowering your body fat percentage. This is primarily achieved through reducing caloric intake, and doing cardio exercise, whether that's jogging, using a bike, whatever. Building muscle can help you burn more calories long term as well, as others have pointed out.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Another thing is to not give up on the diet when you have a bad day or weekend, just get right back on track, this is one thing that really helped me. Also, I allowed myself three meals a week of whatever I wanted, just so I could still have pizza, or whatever else and not feel bad.

Other things that I've learned, some if which we're already mentioned are:

Drink a lot of water

Eat a big healthy breakfast to get your metabolism going every day.

Eat smaller meal portions.

Eat whole grain breads, pasta, and rice.

Lots of veggies.

Eat fruit instead of cake, pie, ice cream for dessert

Schedule your exercise goals before the week starts

Cut out red meats and cheeses as much as possible, its hard for your body to digest.

Don't drink anything w/ your meals, and chew your food well, it will make it easier for you food to digest.

There are a lot of options out there now that allow you to "snack" and have things that you would normally have eaten that are less calories. I'm a big fan of 100 Calorie Packs. I have one of those in my lunch instead of candy/cookies/crackers/chips and with all the options out there, you feel like you're not completely cutting the things you love out of your life. The key is to not eat 4 of them a day.

Someone suggested microwave dinners for portion control, but make sure you're watching fat grams and sodium content.

I have had a hard time with willpower, so I've really become conscious of allowing myself things so that I don't feel like I'm eating water, bread and celery sticks. If I crave chocolate, I have one hershey kiss. I get the taste I was looking for and keep the calorie count down. I don't feel like I cheated and I don't feel like I have to stop eating foods.

I also keep hard candy on my desk. There are plenty of low calorie choices and one mid-morning and one mid-afternoon keep me from snacking on something much worse.

Lame as it may be....here is what I did

Nintendo Wii Fit. I have had it for almost 3 months and have lost about 20lbs. The wii icon now calls me normal!

Gimmick..yes...but if used as a tool i think it can be very helpful. My plan was to not alter my lifestyle in any substantial way. I have not changed my overall eating habits. Although, I refuse soda and chips on principle and my wife is not American so our meals are naturally more healthy. The wii by making you weigh in every day and I prefer to do this towards the end of the day making myself much more aware of my dinner choices. Typically, I make sure to do at least 30minutes of workouts with the wii everday. A great thing about it is that it keeps track of your total hours as well as charting your weight/bmi progress. Im over 60hrs now and shootin for 100.

I really think this is a great tool and would suggest it to anyone.

awesome that you're losing weight on the Wii Fit. that thing sure was a great idea. it's the perfect example that as long as you're moving around, it really doesn't matter what you're doing.

like what Yoshii and Tristar mentioned, on my trimming phases, I'd also allow myself to cheat once a week. suddenly going healthy is tough, so it's sorta like a weekend from work if you can cheat just a little bit, and it really does make the rest of the week easier. Only thing for me is I couldn't keep any of the cheating food like ice cream in the house or I'd go crazy, but it was for going out or if McDonalds was about the only option for lunch.

I'll second the whole grain comment. They tend to fill you up faster and also can take longer to digest, so you're full longer--stuff like brown rice instead of white. not to mention you just feel better from your system being clean.

also, something as simple as measuring your waistline every 3-4 weeks (do it in the morning) can be a great motivator. it can sometimes be that if you muscle-build, that gain will offset your fat loss, and results just on a scale can be harder to see. there's nothing more motivating then to see when your efforts are working. or you can get a bodyfat calipers, but their accuracy can be marginal.

I was in the same boat you're in right now about three and a half years ago. I was up to about 190 lbs or so (6'-0"), not fat/obese by any means, but I had a serious lake of muscle and about zero cardiovascular fitness. On top of this I wasn't very motivated. School and work were running my life and most of my friend weren't overly active. Shortly before spring break I finally said enough was enough, I couldn't keep living that way because I knew I would comprimise my future if I kept down that path. At first I just went to the rec facility a block from my apartment (The Shell @ UW-Madison) before class in the morning and rode a stationary bike or went on the elliptical machine. I didn't see much of a difference because I didn't change my diet at all, but I did start feeling better overall.

A month or so pass and I get horribly sick and stop working out in the morning, start feeling worse again, put a little bit of weight back on, etc... About a month or so before the end of the school year I start dating the woman who's now my fiance and I find out she use to be a runner in high school. First thought is I'll never do that, too fat, too slow, etc... Well she goes back home for the summer and eventually I work my way back to going to the Shell again. One day I decided to run on a treadmill. Like an idiot I figured I could do a couple miles without a lot of trouble, I mean I've been riding a stationary bike for 45 minutes or so, no problem. That run was more painful than anything I've done since, I ran one mile in 8 minutes... for some reason a couple days later I went for a run outside, and again, and again... Less than a year later I ran a half marathon, a year after that a full marathon in 3:27 minutes, and in a little over a month I'll be running the Chicago Marathon with hopes of running under 3:10 and qualifying for the Boston Marathon.

Now I'm not going to advocate running as your only form of exercise, but I would strongly suggest you incorporate some form of cardiovascular exercise into your routine. If you already own a bike, go for ride a few times a week... Try going out for a run (start slow and short if you do)... Get some friends together for basketball or football or soccer (etc.)... As far as strength training, that's not an area I know much about. If you were to meet me you'd understand. Maybe someone else would have some decent suggestions as far as that goes.

The dieting part of losing weight can be the easiest and the hardest at the same time. The first thing I would suggest would be to pack your lunches when you go to work/school, you probably don't want to know the number of calories in fast food, but I'm sure you're aware of that. It's a lot easier to control the amount of calories this way. Second, eliminate soda (or at least regular soda, try Coke Zero, amazing...). Try to eliminate or reduce what I call "white things", not milk of course, but sour cream, alfredo sauce, mayo. They're loaded in calories and fat. Definitely eat breakfast, it increases metabolism and imo is the best meal...

There's a bunch of other things you could do, but in the end don't do something only because one of us is telling you to do it, do it because you enjoy it and it makes you feel better!

Good Luck!

Lots of good advice here (And bad, wii fit? Really?). This will probably be somewhat repetitive, but here's my 2 cents (for the record, I'm 29; 5'10"; 175lbs; 28 pull-ups; sub-5:30 mile; 285lb deadlift; sub-12 hour Ironman, and I used to be overweight).

1) The most important thing is diet. Anyone that says "I can eat whatever I want because I do X every day" has a naturally fast metabolism too. There's a lot of disagreement between a lot of experts about what to eat. Whatever diet you choose, you have to run a calorie deficit to lose weight so portion size is important. Overall, I think the average person eats way too many carbs, especially simple carbs and not enough protein and "good fat." So here's how you fix that:
1a) Cut sugar down, if not out, of your diet. Absolutely no soda, JUICE (seriously!), candy, donuts, pastries, cookies etc.
1b) Cut simple carbs down, if not out, of your diet. A good rule of thumb for this is anything white is not worth eathing. That means rice, pasta, bread (unless it's whole grain bread) etc. etc.
1c) Eat more protein. Chicken is probably the best because the easiest meal in the world is a peice of chicken and a vegetable. Fish is great too. Red meat is too, but has some other issues. Eggs too. Every meal should have a bunch of protein in it.
1d) Eat more unsaturated fats. Almonds are great, as are just about any nuts. Almond butter and "natural" peanut butter too but you have to watch the sugar content (see rule 1a). Avacado is good too.
1e) Most, if not all, carbs should come from vegetables.
1f) 5 meals is better than 3 meals. Try to think of food as "fuel" rather than "tasty." It's hard, but if you work at it, it gets easier.
1g) Drink a lot of water. In fact, if you're trying to lose weight, drink very little of anything else. Milk is good if you're trying to build muscle too, but won't help you lose weight if you're not lifting heavy. Coffee and Tea are good too. Other than that, almost any other thing that people drink is bad for weight loss.
1e) If you're going to drink alcohol, that's not ideal, but most of us do it. Light beer is better than regular, but the bigger thing is to not eat too many (or any) other carbohydrates that night.

2) The second most important thing is exercise. Your exercise routine should do all of the following:
2a) Be intense. Do not take up walking. The higher the intensity of your workout, the better use of your time.
2b) Do varied forms of exercise. Don't just run or bike or play basketball. Unless you're trying to get better at one of them in particular, do all of them.
2c) Lift weights. And don't use any of those machines at the gym that have cables and pulleys on them unless you are injured or are a body builder. If you want functional fitness, the best thing you can do in the weightroom is powerlifting (squats, deadlifts, presses) and, if you're feeling motivated and have someone to teach you, olympic lifts (clean, jerk, snatch). Bodyweight stuff (gymnastics) is great too--pull-ups, dips, push-ups, muscle-ups, burpees etc.
2d) Ignore the popular myth that "cardio" has to be seperate from "lifting." Pick two exercises and do them alternating at a high intensity level (like, for example, deadlift 185lbs 10 time, then do 15 push-ups, then repeat this pattern for 10 rounds as fast as you can (safely, without losing your form of course). Then do some similar pattern with different exercises the next day. Don't do the same one for at least a month. For more on this, here's an awesome gym in town: crossfitmilwaukee.com (I have no association with it except that I'm a member and really believe in the crossfit methodology.)

Hope this helps.

Lots of good advice here (And bad, wii fit? Really?).

A good rule of thumb for this is anything white is not worth eathing.

Wow, chuck wii fit under the bad column cause this guy says so. It may not be THE way but it is A way.

Now, see..I would throw the rice thing under bad advice. There happens to be a few people in Asia that eat a crapload of rice everyday. Seems to be working out ok for them.

Lots of good advice here (And bad, wii fit? Really?).

A good rule of thumb for this is anything white is not worth eathing.

Wow, chuck wii fit under the bad column cause this guy says so. It may not be THE way but it is A way.

Now, see..I would throw the rice thing under bad advice. There happens to be a few people in Asia that eat a crapload of rice everyday. Seems to be working out ok for them.

Just my two cents tough guy. White rice is a simple carb that raises the blood sugar level quickly, contains more calories, fewer vitamins and less fiber than many other choices for carbs (vegetables, fruits and whole grains). They are broken down quickly in the body and will have you feeling hungry in a short period of time. At the risk of generalizing, there are fewer weight problems in Asian countries because of portion control and balanced meals (usually fish/meat and vegetables with a moderate amount of rice or noodles). If you want to eat identically to some Asian culture and play with your nintendo, you might be alright. You might be at higher risk of diabetes, or dental problems, but you might not. Go ahead. I'll stick to eating veggies for my carbs--I know what's in rice. It takes different strokes to move the world though.

Archived