Brewer Fanatic

9/1/08 Mets (Santana) at Brewers (Sheets): 1:05 PM CDT

wibadgers23
  • Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, get some help today from the Astros, Nationals, and D-Backs and all will be ok.

We need to shore up the bullpen somehow, that's the one glaring need we didn't address via trade.

"When a piano falls on Yadier Molina get back to me, four letter." - Me, upon reading a ESPN update referencing the 'injury-plagued Cardinals'

Do you think we have a 3.30 ERA reliever just hiding in the bullpen or something?

They kind of do- Villanueva has a 2.05 ERA plus more than a K per inning in relief this year in 44 innings (only Torres has pitched more than 3 more relief innings than CV so his sample size is comparable to all the other relievers. It's just that his horrible starts are making his overall numbers look bad). It's time for him to be the 8th inning guy, despite a few shaky outings recently.

While that was an out, I think that one pitch at-bat should be enough to deem Nelson is a much better PH option than Gwynn.

Tough one, but can't win em all.

I really hope we don't see Gwynn used before any of our other left handed bats on the bench ever again this season. He should only see the field as a pinch runner.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

To the guy in the bathroom at about the 6th inning wearing the "Just Brew It" Brewerfan t-shirt and flannel shorts near section 205: I saw you!!

It always tickles me when I see BFnetters at the games.

3TO Apostle

By a show of hands, has Mota earned back the right to pitch in the 6th/7th inning when needed, or do most people still not trust him?

I'll admit it. I wouldn't have minded seeing Mota before or instead of Gagne today. I don't know that I'll embrace Guillermo from here on out, but he has earned his way out of my Mota-torium.

Thing is, though, so many of the bullpen guys are just a roll of the dice. In the Gagne/Mota/Riske type role, they all seem to have about an equal chance of success or failure.

If they are participating in October games, I might just be taking some extra concourse walks.

What I want to know is, who else was thinking "big boy" thoughts when Sheets left the game? (I say this not having checked for updates on his condition.)

There were a lot of Mets fans at MP today - not a majority by any means, but definitely enough to be noticeable. Happily (and somewhat surprisingly), all the Met fans I encountered were just fine to be around. They were clearly happy with the 8th inning and beyond, but they weren't in our faces by any means.

What surprised me also were the number of cubs fans. Were they there just to hate on everybody?

Anyway - pick up, dust off, focus on Tuesday.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

I'll admit it. I wouldn't have minded seeing Mota before or instead of Gagne today. I don't know that I'll embrace Guillermo from here on out, but he has earned his way out of my Mota-torium.

Thing is, though, so many of the bullpen guys are just a roll of the dice. In the Gagne/Mota/Riske type role, they all seem to have about an equal chance of success or failure.

Couldn't have said it any better myself hawing. That's a perfect way to describe those three guys. How sad/surprising is it that I would feel more comfortable at this point with Mota in there rather than Gagne or Riske in a tight game? Doesn't say much for our bullpen.

Archived