Brewer Fanatic

D'backs trade minor league right-hander Chad Beck for David Eckstein

1992casey

yeah, I can't wait to hear the totally unbridled enthusiasm from Sutton when I watch them now. He's seriously going to wet his pants on the air someday.

Nice trade for the D-Backs, though.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

Why did the DBacks pursue Eckstein? I know Phillips is hurt, but I can't they get equal or greater production from the their in-house options (Augie Ojeda & Chris Burke)? I hope Chad Beck is seen as having little to no upside, for Arizona's sake.

If this was done on the 'He's been through the fires!' angle... ugh.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Why did the DBacks pursue Eckstein? I know Phillips is hurt, but I can't they get equal or greater production from the their in-house options (Augie Ojeda & Chris Burke)?

Ojeda has had one "season" which consisted of 59 ABs 4 years ago in which he's been better thank Eckstein. Burke did have good numbers two years ago, but his OPS+ this year is 50! and was 72 last year. Eckstein has no power and he is surely overrated by many, but he is actually a decent SS. By Zone Rating he was the best SS in the majors in 2003 and since has been average to top 5.

He's not likely to have a huge impact over a month, but he is certainly better than those options.

I've learned that I don't find much value in most defensive metrics, ZR included -- ZR is strange since it's so highly subjective by definition (as are many D metrics). Eckstein is sure-handed, but covers little ground & has a below-average arm (at best). He's just not very helpful at this point, and I wonder why anyone would give up a young arm to get him. I understand adding depth for a playoff run, but they must not feel that losing Beck means much.

Ojeda & Eckstein are basically identical at this point -- BA below .300, OBP around .350, & no power. I haven't seen anything that makes me think Ojeda couldn't at worst give you the same defense as Eck.

eckstein is a two time world series champion and world series MVP. can't figure this trade out???? oh brother !!!!

And Brewers fans have seen first-hand the huge impact of the mighty Craig Counsell!!!

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

The run environments between Arizona and Toronto matter. Eckstein's OPS+ is 13 points higher than Ojeda's this year. That's not nothing. I'm guessing the D-Backs are going for it in a similar way to the Brewers. They could be very dangerous in the playoffs with that rotation, and they probably aren't counting on RJ being this good or durable at 45 next year.

actually I can't wait to see craig counsell in a playoff at bat for the brewers

I think most of us can't wait to see a playoff at bat for the Brewers, period.

But to steer back to topic...Arizona members and those with Extra Innings access, be sure to let us know how Daron reacts with the plucky Eckstein actually on his team.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Archived