Brewer Fanatic

Sabathia No-Hitter Watch... Latest: CC no hitter scoring decision is upheld (reply #153)

razzzorsharp
The funny part is that, in Webb's phone interview on ESPN... was it Outside the Lines? I know Bob Ley was hosting... anyway... Webb described LaRoche's role in the play as a (paraphrasing), 'fast runner running down the line'.
That is what really pisses me off about this guy, he continues to lie about where the runner was to cover up his hasty and poor decision. If you look at the replay and freeze it when CC stands up and is starting his throwing motion the batter is right at the start of that extra baseline, which is exactly 1/2 way to first base. Many articles had picked up this scorer's comments and said that CC may not have gotten the runner, even if he made the throw, etc.

I think Yost exploded probably mainly because the guy did not even take a second to think about the call.

This column says most think that he got it wrong:

http://sports.yahoo.com/m...p;prov=yhoo&type=lgns

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's still a no hitter in my book. To me this is like when Barry Sanders retired early from the NFL. We all knew Barry was the best of his generation even if he didn't stick around long enough to set the all time mark. Celebration or not, it happened. I watched it from start to finish. In HD. And it's Tivo'd. That's all i need. Now that that's over can we please just start winning again.

There's just no way you can retro-actively go back an change it to an official no-hitter. Once that first hit was on the board, the circumstances changed. The pressure was different. We'll just never be able to know if CC would have still given up no hits the rest of the game. Things aren't linear like that.

The biggest mistake by the official scorer, in my mind, was not straying towards 'error' when the first hit of the game is very questionable. That should ALWAYS be the case for scorers - particularly if there are no hits into the middle innings. If it's even close, call it an error and adjust it later if need be. Like I said though, once that hit was on the scoreboard, everything changed.

I can see if he scored it once he reached base, but to scored it while he was half way down the line is where I got a problem.. Why should calls like this be pre determined?

I had a gut feeling that they/he wouldn't reverse it, but I guess I have to question the entire appeals process when it comes to big plays not just these ticky tac calls like the Brewers got reversed last season..

And this who idea of "pressure" just baffles the mind.. I mean, it's a statistical thing, not an emotional thing..

Meh.. Great game regardless..

It always seemed unlikely to me that they'd overturn it, and really, I think it kind of makes the Brewers look like whiners that they sent in a DVD and everything. If anything, hopefully this whole fiasco teaches scorekeepers to not be so quick to award the first hit of the game on a ball that's not fielded cleanly. You can always go back and change an error to a hit later in the game...it happens all the time. It's not as easy to change a hit into an error later in the game, especially if it would keep a no-hitter alive.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

I also think by scoring this as quick as he did proves that Mr Webb had alterior motives in all of this. Not sure what they are, but as one of the newscasters said the other night, scoring it as fast as he did, proves he didn't want Milwaukee to have a no hitter in this and to me, the guy should not be brought back on this alone.

I'd be a lot more upset by this if someone other than Sabathia had been involved in the play. Regardless of whether or not the call was correct it i clear that Sabathia screwed up on the play in some way. Sure he might deserve a no hitter but at the same time he deserved to be put to blame for that specific baserunner being on so it is hard for me to lose sleep on it.

I'd be a lot more upset by this if someone other than Sabathia had been involved in the play.

This is a big part of it for me. How much more frustrating would it be if the whole of Brewer nation were shaking their fists at Rickie (sorry, Rickie, but you're an easy example) for muffing a grounder and messing things up for CC?

If I can only choose one, I'd rather have a one-hitter and a postseason, than a no-hitter and no October games.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

The USA Today's Bob Nightengale did a nice piece on CC for today's edition. It's the sports section cover story, entitled, "Is Sabathia Baseball's Best Mid-season Acquisition Ever?" A good read, and reinforces all the 'good guy' stuff we've ever heard about CC. I'd paste it here, but it's long enough that I don't think that's a good idea.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Archived