Brewer Fanatic

Sabathia No-Hitter Watch... Latest: CC no hitter scoring decision is upheld (reply #153)

razzzorsharp
if CC gets a 1 hitter turned into a no hitter it would be the first time in MLB history that it has ever happened. If this is overturned, Yost gets one step closer to MOY .
That might be true but how many times have they sent in a request for an overturn? Have they ever ruled on a situation like this before?

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
The only issue I have is that the scorer made the call within a milisecond of the play being over - I don't think he even looked at a replay.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Even if they change the hit to an error, it's still not a no-hitter to me.. To me a no-hitter is all about the anticipation and the nail biting and then finally the celebration. Earlier this season when i was still living in San Diego, Randy Wolf had a no hitter going pretty late into the game and my friend and i jumped in the car and hauled down to the stadium at a moment's notice. Of course, that was broken up just as we were pulling up to the field...

However, this DOES help his MVP/Cy chances, especially if the Dodgers come out tonight and light up Brandon Webb.

If they are going to change it, they had better make the announcement either before or during one of the next two games. It'd be unbelievable to see a mid game curtain call for a guy who isn't even playing that day.

The only issue I have is that the scorer made the call within a milisecond of the play being over - I don't think he even looked at a replay.

That and the fact that he said LaRoche was two-thirds of the way down the baseline when CC touched the ball and if you watch the replay he isn't farther than halfway.

The Pirates defended the decision of the scorer to Olney, saying making the call quickly before seeing the replay is part of the normal procedure for rulings on close plays. Scorers are told to use TV monitors only if something is in question, the spokesman told Olney.
Doesn't it seem like this situation was in question and that he should have used the replay?

The only problem I have is that most of the time a close play like that gets called an error so as not to kill the no hitter. The one time it actually matters, it gets called a hit. Other than that, in the years to come, we will probably look at it as just another win. Not that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Even if the ruling is reversed, I think there will always be some kind of "mental" asterisk associated with it for most people, so I'd have no problem if it stays how it is.

If for no other reason than so the idiot scorer has to have it brought up to him about 800 more times during his career about how his bad call cost CC the no-hitter back in 2008.

Not that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things.

It might be not that big of a deal to the fans after awhile and the win is important, but tell CC, Kendall, Yost and the rest of the players who had a chance at being part of history thats its not that big of a deal. Most of the players if not all the players will never be part of a No No or this close again. If it was no big deal, Yost, and the announcers wouldn't have gone off like they did. To me it's a huge deal, and for the scorer to be so stubborn and not change the call when he could see what was going on was just wrong. CC might not act like he cares that much, but you gotta believe on the inside he wants the ruling to be changed in the worst way.

I think it would stinking awesome if CC comes out and hurls a no-no in his next start against San Diego. Then we'll REALLY have something to talk about--the possibility of matching the Johnny VanderMeer record.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

Al, you make a good point about the official scorer at Miller Park. And I, for one, am glad that that's the case. Integrity and historically "traditional" standards still exist there in greater supply, and I'm glad it's my favorite team that can say that.

Starting in the mid/late '80s, more and more plays that traditionally had been called errors started being called hits. Scoring became more generous in favor of offensive statistics. Commentators used to bring this point up fairly often. Even if a play was a hard play, if the fielder *should* have made it, it was usually scored an error. The only typical exceptions were when a player would lose a ball in the sun.

Nowadays there's also tons of home team favoritism in most parks (which really mostly favors just the home team hitters, not the pitchers), which seemed to come into play today, but that's another whole discussion.

That was an error, plain & simple. Bob Webb needs to defend his horrible call. The fact that that was called a hit was completely ridiculous.

It was bad enought that Bob Webb made such a quick decision on the call. What's worse to me is that he refused to reverse the call afterwards. Official scorers reverse their decisions all the time during the course of games. He had to know that people were upset with his call and, if after looking at the replay, he still thought he made the right call, then that's a complete joke.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

I find it funny that Webb defends it saying that LaRoche was "well" down the baseline..

They show the replay....and he was what? 40 percent of the way down there?

I hope they do reverse this and they announce it at Miller Park to a sell out crowd.

On the first hit normally it has to be clean and no question...what Webb should have done is give it an error and if somebody gets a clean hit later in the game, than change it to a hit after the game. I hope it gets reversed and CC gets to say he tossed a no-hitter...of course the way he is throwing he may throw one before the end of the year, and I would bet that he will throw one before his career ends

Crazyk1294 wrote:

Often times guys who know they have a no-no going can tense up and try to be too fine with their pitches (See Parra, Manny). Maybe giving up that "hit" loosened CC up a little bit. I'm not saying that happened, but how are we to know?

I realize the point your making, the pressure has gotten to some guys, however in fairness to Manny I feel compelled to point out that he's already done the ultimate feat of pitching a Perfect Game... sure it was at AAA, but it was still a very rare accomplishment.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Archived