Brewer Fanatic

Sabathia No-Hitter Watch... Latest: CC no hitter scoring decision is upheld (reply #153)

razzzorsharp

Regardless of the validity of the call ( which is at least arguable, if not strongly), I think the two things that bug baseball people are:

1) the rapidity with which the play was initially ruled a hit

2) this being the first 'hit' on the scoreline.

Rulings get overruled in-game all the time, which is why you err on the side of error in that situation. Bill Schroeder was absoluely right about this situation.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette . . .

LaRoche, who saw a replay, said, "I'm sure they'll change it to an error. I mean, I obviously didn't hit it very hard, so it really doesn't deserve a hit."

From the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette . . .

LaRoche, who saw a replay, said, "I'm sure they'll change it to an error. I mean, I obviously didn't hit it very hard, so it really doesn't deserve a hit."

I will remember this quote, a classy and honest answer. I like that.

I can't believe this.

Read the recap on yahoo sports. They say that the ball was hit so soft that CC might not have been able to throw LaRoche out even if he had fielded it cleanly. That is so blatantly untrue I don't know what to make of it. Perhaps the AP guy is friends with the official scorer. If CC fields it cleanly LaRoche is out by 3 steps.

The call was terrible, and it doesn't matter what MLB does. We were robbed of the moment, and such a moment is practically once-in-a-lifetime for many fans (not only does your team get a no-hitter, but you're in a position to watch it happen).

Wearing my heart on my sleeve since birth. Hopefully, it's my only crime.

Twitter..

Blog..

Facebook.

I really don't think it is as open and shut as many here think. Yes, I believe it was an error but the fact that CC didn't use his glove makes it look like he needed to make an extrodinary play to get him.

Fine but the official scorer was so certain that he made the call instantaneosly. He should have at least looked at the replays before making this decision.

Pirate fans on their mlb message board seem to agree that it should have been an error.

Complete with all angles of replay, it is on appeal now with MLB. I think this is the first appealed no-no in MLB history. I like how the Brewers handled this and I think this kind of controversy is just what the doctor ordered for the stretch run in September. It brushes aside and exposes St. Louis 'untuckem controversy' for the pettiness from whence it was spawned. Dissed on the road by a local scorekeeper clearly trying so hard to help out a slumping homie that he posted a hit before the runner even reached 1B...and CC just shrugged it off. I expect the Brewers to win this appeal. What a season this has shaped up to be. A no hitter...that's right...Brewers pitching = a no-hitter. No big deal.

Amazing, this same scorer apparently thinks banging a ball off the pitcher's shins is an error...or at least he felt that way in 1999.

On Tuesday, Glanville reached when his grounder glanced off pitcher Kris Benson's shin. Such plays are usually scored as hits, but Bob Webb called it an error.

http://sportsillustrated....news/1999/07/03/ap_notes/

It was a terrible call. It was a routine play. Sacrifice bunts are hit like that 100's of times and are easy, easy outs.

I felt really sorry for the fans at PNC. Here's a team going nowhere, playing awful and the official scorer denies them the opportunity to witness a historic baseball event as it happens. Absolutely brutal.

Allow me to be the turd in the punch bowl.

Would CC have continued to pitch like he did had he not given up that "hit"? Often times guys who know they have a no-no going can tense up and try to be too fine with their pitches (See Parra, Manny). Maybe giving up that "hit" loosened CC up a little bit. I'm not saying that happened, but how are we to know?

Regardless, that official scorer robbed us of ever really knowing for sure no matter if the call gets over-turned or not...

Highlights were just on ESPNEWS and John Kruk said it should be a no hitter, that CC makes that play 99% of the time, and that LaRoche would have been out by a mile. Pretty much agreed with everything posted here.

Obviously, I just witnessed my first no-hitter by the Brewers (I was barely one, and living in California for the last one), but guys, we won, while most of our chief rivals weren't so lucky. A no-hitter is amazing, and the fact that on a blatant pitch-out, he almost yarded one, you just knew it was his day (or will be his day), but I'm just as happy with a complete game shutout on a one hitter, as opposed to losing with a no-no. Now, I get to wait until YoGa decides to do a perfect game. Go Brewz!

The Oakland announcers are now talking about the CC no-no-gate. P-b-p guy Glen Kuiper watched the replay, and stated of the Brewers, "They are making a big deal of this." <-- That was not meant as a dig at the Crew, as his next comment was, "It was not a clean base hit"
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Archived