Brewer Fanatic

Carlos Zambrano's start skipped Sunday due to dead arm; leaves after 5th inning Monday

jeffh

Please try to be clearer about citing a source. Many members might not be familiar with "nsbb," and when I poked around northsidebaseball.com, I didn't immediately find this tidbit. Also, links are nice when they're available.

Here's an AP article, though:

Cubs' ace Zambrano scratched with tired arm

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

I think this happened to him last year and he had a strong September.

But, here's to hoping it stays tired.

"His whole life is a fantasy camp. People should plunk down $2000 to live like him for a week. Sleep, do nothing, fall ass-backwards into money, mooch food off your neighbors and have sex without dating... THAT'S a fantasy camp."

I'm too superstitious to find any kind of advantage in this. I believe too much in ghostly karmatic baseball gods who mete out misfortune equal to that wished upon, or celebrated on account of, an opposing team's player. I was secretly hopeful/happy when Zambrano couldn't start on Sunday and then Sheets gets pulled on Monday in the 5th.

I wish Zambrano a speedy recovery.

I'm too superstitious to find any kind of advantage in this. I believe too much in ghostly karmatic baseball gods who mete out misfortune equal to that wished upon, or celebrated on account of, an opposing team's player. I was secretly hopeful/happy when Zambrano couldn't start on Sunday and then Sheets gets pulled on Monday in the 5th.

I wish Zambrano a speedy recovery.

I'm not superstitious...just a pessimist (although I'd consider it more of a realist). I'm thinking that the only reason that it took this long for Sheets bi-annual injury to happen is because it is a contract year. The last couple months have been borderline mediocre for Sheets and that could be a sign that he was having problems for a while now. If so, he may have been hiding it because he doesn't want that to hurt his contract this off-season.

hopefully he falls apart and Harden comes back to earth

Well, Harden is seemingly going to be sitting around a while as well (Chicago Tribune)...

He last started Friday, so he will basically miss nearly two turns in the rotation.

"He needed the time, obviously," manager Lou Piniella said. "If he could pitch, we would have kept him in the rotation."

Pressed about Harden's long down time, Piniella said: "He needed the time, we'll just leave it at that."

I would guess they are just taking advantage of their sizeable lead and giving him an opportunity to rest, but just don't want to say that out loud. I guess we'll find out (maybe).

Community Moderator
The Cubs need to be really careful at this point. They have a playoff spot essentially wrapped up so they may as well give both of them a few weeks off and have them ready for the playoffs--or the Milwaukee series if the division remains close.

Or maybe Arizona had a better offer and was willing to part with better prospects?

If Melvin was in on the bidding, then it came down to Jim Bowden having an irrational man-crush on Bonifacio. That dude brings solid D & basestealing... and nothing else. Basically the DBacks got Rauch for Iribarren. Melvin could have easily topped the Bonifacio offer, which is why I'm of the leaning that he wasn't in on the bidding at that point, or that Bowden is a crazy loon.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Rauch has a 6.00 ERA and .927 OPS against for Arizona and has missed some time with forearm stiffness. Hard to really say we missed the boat given the results.

If the scouting the Brewers had indicated an injury was likely or a big risk with Rauch, then yes. Otherwise, I'm surprised to see you using a sample of less than 20 IP to prove a point.

Leadheadned, can you provide a link?

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Archived