Brewer Fanatic

Braun closing in on DiMaggio

homer
Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Joe DiMaggio has the record for most home runs in a player's first two seasons - 75. Right now Braun is ranked 5th at 68.

Here are the top five:

DiMaggio 75

Kiner 74

Matthews 72

Pujols 71

Braun 68

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

The guys in front of him either are or will be Hall of Famers. That says a lot about the pace that he is setting for his career. It is early, but if he continues to do what he's done and doesn't get hurt, he could be the next Brewer in Cooperstown.

The guys in front of him either are or will be Hall of Famers. That says a lot about the pace that he is setting for his career. It is early, but if he continues to do what he's done and doesn't get hurt, he could be the next Brewer in Cooperstown.

When I went to Cooperstown for Molitor's induction, I boasted that Sheets would be the next Brewer to have his number retired, not even considering as a HOF candidate. I had also been drinking most of the afternoon and night, and Fielder had yet to be a full time player. Those comparison's are great, especially cuz of Braun's fairly new contract and the price HE accepted. Most guys woulda held out (ie Fielder) for more. Here's to hoping he becomes Mr Brewer as a long term name. 7 dingers isn't too hard a feat considering he is coming around in the clutch, and has the swagger this team needs to be a playoff team to be reckoned with,

Considering that he didn't join the team until almost two months into 2007, this is an incredible feat.

If you discount the 18 games McGwire was up in 1986, he technically hit 81 his first two seasons.

I pretty much discount most of McGwire's career. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Braun had about a dozen HRs in the minors when he was called up and basically was knocking them out at the same pace in the majors.. so in mind he's at about 80.. dont know how that compares to the other guys.

In fairness, I'm guessing he's a bit older than the others on that list.

In fairness, I'm guessing he's a bit older than the others on that list.
That we can find out. The ages listed are all as of their second year.

Joe Dimaggio was 22.

Ralph Kiner was 24. 51 jacks in his second year.

Eddie Mathews was 21.

Pujols was 22.

Braun is 24.

And do we really believe Pujols' age? Fairly certain he never left the US since they started cracking down on the age verification after 9/11. At least I seem to remember reading that somewhere.

Archived