Brewer Fanatic

Do you agree with never pinch hitting with Rivera cause he's the backup C?

It seems like so much less than a 1% chance that Kendall (or most any player for that matter) would get hurt from the 7th inning on. When we are struggling so much to find PT for Rivera and when he's proven this year to be hitting very well and even being clutch, I would think this would be a "gamble" we should be doing sometimes. Do you agree with Ned and "conventional wisdom" that it is too risky or do you agree with me (that it's a great opportunity to get Rivera in the game sometimes and get him a little bit of action so he feels like he's contributing more)?

Imagining him as the back-up 1B, where would he rank on the pinch-hitting totem pole?

Kapler...obvious #1. Does anything and everything you would want in a pinch-hit, and allows for an easy double switch, as the Money Order dictates that he be #3/5/6.

Counsell...works the count for walks and seeing eye singles, and again, allows for a good double switch.

Healthy Branyan....Power! Strikes Fear In the Heart of the Pitcher! So afraid, can't throw a strike. Still doesn't keep the Muscle from Striking Out. "Russell's At Bat"

Gritty Dillon...A mix of a lot of Counsell with a little of Branyan. Double switch? You got it. Need someone to get your dry-cleaning? Crazy Joe Dillon is your guy.

Rivera....a good bat as your last line of defense. Can only be double switched for Kendall. The slowest of all pinch-hitters.

Nix...The name says it all.

ILuvDaBush wrote:

Nix...The name says it all.

You mean as in "nix him from the roster?"

I have no problem with not using Rivera as a pinch hitter. I would like to see him start twice a week though.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Kendall is a terrible hitter (75 OPS+). There is no reason he shouldn't be pinch hit for if there is a good option (ie- not Gwynn, Nix or Counsell) on the bench. Ned will never agree with that though, so it's all moot. I'm really looking forward to seeing this again, but with even worse results, all year next year.

Salome was not on the bench, he was in the tunnel. Here is my theory:

Ned's mind (the mind of a backup catcher) was so focused on both the Sunday no-no appeal and at the same time working with Maddux to get every pitcher in his now (as of today) amply populated bullpen as much work as he (and the Mets) could possibly muster. How can anyone expect Ned to keep all of this and who should be batting for his starting catcher in a critical game situation all at the same time with all those new people in the tunnel and on the bench? That is why Doug (in an effort to overcome the same mental opverload brain-lock effect Tony LaRussa similarly has on Ned) brought in Simba (another catcher). Therefore, I blame Ted. It didn't work this time, Doug.

It is a good thing we don't have a backup catcher named 'Ed' on the roster. The rhyme alone might be enough to push Ned over the edge completely.

While I say this with tongue-planted--in-cheek, I suspect there is a grain of truth in all this which is what makes it so funny. That said, simple folk like me are easily amused.

Salome was not on the bench, he was in the tunnel.

This made me snort-laugh.

simple folk like me are easily amused.

I think you mean, "us"!

There was a great opportunity for it today in the 9th inning, but Yost decided to stay with Kendall. That's a bit disheartening knowing what we had sitting on the bench. Heck, why not give Salome an AB there.

The most discouraging thing to me was that, since there are 3 other C on the available roster right now, Yost could have used any PH option... including Gamel, Nelson, Rivera, and a host of others.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Twice tonight Kendall hits against a RH pitcher late. Un-be-liev-a-ble. Can we end the Yost era now?
You would really think somebody (Melvin? Simmons? Svuem? Kendall himself?) would tell Yost that Kendall is not a good hitter. Then again, he also had Counsell hitting in the 11th, so he obviously wasn't worried about getting an actually competent hitter to the plate.

Not pinch hitting for Kendall late in a game is asinine.
It's pretty clear Yost will only use pinch hitters for pitchers. Why would you bat Hall and Kendall late in a tie game with a righty on the mound? Why didn't he do a double switch with Hall/Lamb when Torres came in? At least he would have had the option of using his best reliever for one more inning.

Honestly, I don't think Ned is a terrible manager, but he won't alter his lineup in-game and is terrible at managing the bullpen. He's not responsible for defensive miscues, flailing away at low outside pitches, or bullpen gopher balls, but I think he's cost the team opportunities over the season due to his "stay the course" strategies. I think that's translated into a handful of losses that shouldn't have happened. If they don't make the Wild Card, he's gone.

Archived