Brewer Fanatic

Playoff Seeding Question

JoeH33
I was curious if anyone knew how home field advantage for the playoffs was determined. For example, if the playoffs started today we'd be playing the Mets in the Divisional round. While the Mets are a division winner, we have the better overall record. Would the Mets then be given home field because they're the division winner, or would the Brewers because we have the better overall record?

Community Moderator

Yes, the divisional winner has home field advantage over the WC, always.

Some will say otherwise, but I think it should be that way. The Brewers are a 2nd place team, the Mets are in 1st. Even in the unbalanced schedule, the Brewers play most of their games against the NL Central and are not the top team, while the Mets are the top team in the NL East. If you are a purist, you could go on to argue that the Brewers can't ever be considered WS champs since they aren't even the best team in their own division.

I would also rather start on the road. We have played well on the road and should be able to get a split. If we start at home, the players could come out tense and over-aggressive like the Cubs series and dig a hole that they can't get out of.

How does the second round work then? I forgot. If the Cubs get ousted by say the Diamondbacks, and the Brewers beat the Mets/Phillies who gets the home field advantage in the League Championship Series?

Same way. If it's a division winner and the wild card, the division winner gets home field regardless of record.

obsessedwithbrewcrew wrote:

I would also rather start on the road. We have played well on the road and should be able to get a split. If we start at home, the players could come out tense and over-aggressive like the Cubs series and dig a hole that they can't get out of.

Outstanding point Obsessed.

Does Brian The Automator give out "Insight of the Day" medals, because you get my vote. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

I have another question. If the playoffs started today, the cubs would be the #1 seed, the Mets the #2 seed, D-Backs the #3 seed and the Brewers the #4 seed. Since the Cubs are in our division, how is it determined between the two other teams who the brewers play and who the cubs play?

Archived