Brewer Fanatic

St. Louis writer compares Brewers to Ron Artest

PrimeTime955

This guy is doing a favor to Ron Artest by comparing him to the Brewers. Artest's PR reps should eat this up!

And it's true that Villa is a journeyman... he's journied from Phoenix to Beloit to Brevard to Huntsville to Nashville to Milwaukee. That's a lot of journeying! Or it could be the writer was attempting to make a sly accusation that Villa's favorite song of all time is "Don't Stop Believing"?

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I personally like the guys showing emotion on the field. To me it shows that they truly care and want to win badly. I'm a woman so that's the girly side in me coming out.

The situation with Vallanueva last night was in response to Pujols shouting at him after Carlos got the last hitter to pop out. How many other hitters in baseball showboat after a home run (M Rameriez, D Lee, Pujols)? Sure Braun and Hall shouldn't do it but if others do it why can't the Brewers either. It doesn't bother me one way or another when it comes to Braun or any other Brewer watching their home runs. I think I would watch it too if I could hit one. Look at how many pitchers show emotion on the mound too (Zambrano, Chamberlain). They get pumped too just like a hitter.

I used to like the Cardinals, and cheered for them when they won the World Series a few years ago... they have turned into nothing but whiny babies now. I bet if they were in first place for the wild card they wouldn't have their undies in such a bunch right now.

The Cardinals, and their press, and a segment of their fans, are really embarrassing themselves right now.

How many times do the Brewers have to tell the story behind the untucking of the jerseys before people will actually get it? It has nothing to do with their opponent...it's on the same level as a high five, or a handshake at the mound.

Tony LaRussa is an arrogant jerk...and he always has been. No one in that dugout holds the high ground in this scenario, they would do anything to win, including showboating, throwing at opponents, whining at the umpires, or pouting to the press.

I don't blame folks down there for complaining about the guys watching some of their home runs....but then you see the images of Mr Pujols doing the exact same thing. Get over it, or change your own behavior.

Grow up down there, your team has had a good deal of success, and is still in the playoff race this season...act like you've done this before.

I no longer have any respect for Albert Pujols. Good hitter, but a big-tme jerk. The only classless act that took place was Albert cussing Carlos out for showing excitement (which by the way was NOT directed at the Cardinals dugout).

Albert Pujols great player, but classless human being.

with all the talk of villanueva vs pujols; a separate incident has gone without explanation (to my knowledge). after braun struck out in the 9th, did molina say something to him? braun had a strange smirk on his face...

anyone come across explanations?

just curious to know what was said, not whether it was right or wrong.

It sounds like Carlos and Ned are taking some fault for the situation. I'm not sure I saw Carlos point into their dugout, but I do think he shouted in that direction. Was it necessarily into their dugout? I'm not sure. St. Louis sure is doing a lot of complaining about us this year though and I'm starting to like beating them more than the Cubs.

Anyone have the video?

The Cardinals have gone from being one of my "other" teams to a bunch of self-righteous punks.

You've got Glaus throwing hissy fits because he can't pull the trigger on an 80 mph meat pitch...you've got Braun getting plunked for looking at a homer...and you've got Villy getting called a piece of you-know-what and almost getting attacked because of a fist pump...And now we're getting "advice" from the Cardinals and their writers on how to wear our jerseys after wiping the Busch Stadium grass with them?

Ok, yeah, I get it...

How many times do the Brewers have to tell the story behind the untucking of the jerseys before people will actually get it?

Maybe when they have to listen to the story a few times when the Crew is in the playoffs and they are sitting home watching it.

Question:

Didn't Al Hrabosky play for the Cardinals?

Did they have a problem with his antics back in the day?

How soon they forget.

Joaquin Andujar was hardly the acme of class, either.

This is standard: the loser on the field always looks for the moral high ground. We do the same thing.

With the shirt untucked thing, I have heard the story that Cameron does it to honor his dad and most, but not all of the guys picked up on it, and correct me if I am wrong, Cameron has said he did it in the past at San Diego, did anybody complain about it than? Did other players do it in San Diego?

I love what this team has become, a true team...it seems like every night somebody new is stepping up in a big situation to help the team win!

I have long posted on here that Cardinal fans are no where near as classy, educated, and respectful as all want to label them. They are ALWAYS like this, and when I was living down there, and going to games, I could hardly stand them. Now you all see what I have been talking about first hand.

There is nothing to like or respect about St. Louis. Stay cocky Milwaukee, be proud, keep your swagger.

Pujols is sitting there saying that Carlos showed disrespect to their team and to the game by celebrating after striking that guy out. I think Pujols should worry about his own team disrespecting the game after seeing Glaus throw his bat and helmet a few times and having words with the ump after striking out. The 'team leader' that Pujols is should fix his own team's issues and not worry about the brewers.

And Ned always talks about sticking up for his players. To me, he did not stick up for Carlos at all. He said he made a mistake and that his actions caused the Cardinal's winning rally. I think Riske's meatballs down the middle of the plate caused this rally (Riske admitted he threw pitches right down the middle).

And what's with Pujols' comment on about how he "will see [Carlos] again." I don't know what he's planning on doing next time he sees him. The Brewers don't play the Cardinals again this season. Maybe he's just gonna hold a grudge until next season or cause a brawl in their native Domincan Republic.

If the Brewers are being so controversial, why aren't other market's reporters complaining? Seriously, what media market outside of St. Louis even gives a crap about the Brewers untucking their shirts? This is the first major outcry I've heard/read all year. It seems that outside Milwaukee no one seems to care. Except for St. Louis I guess.

Yeah, their indgnance at the untucked jerseys is the biggest question mark. I don't know how that shows up the other team any more than high-fives or a handshake line, but I guess when your skin is made of rice-paper almost anything will offend you.

Found this article from two seasons ago, talking about Pujols showing up a pitcher.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2421881

Amongst several great things in that article is this gem at the end:

"Pujols and Gary Bennett, now a backup catcher with the Cardinals, clashed a few years ago the day after Pujols hit a winning extra-inning home run against the Padres.

La Russa has no problem with Pujols savoring the moment.

"Absolutely not," the manager said. "How about how hard he works every day and how he cheers for his team when he's 0-for-4 and all these other million things he does right?

"Somebody says he lingers at the plate? That's real tired.""

This whole thing is ridiculous. Villy was pumped getting out of a tough jam in a close game. What he did wasn't even that big of a deal or last very long. A quick pump of his fists and a "yesss" sort of reaction. Nothing directed at the Cardinals dugout. In fact, if you watch Villy, it's ot the first time he's had that reaction after gewtting out of a tough inning. Many, many pitchers do something similar, some of whom show even more reaction than Villy does.

As far as the jersey pulling goes, I think the Cards and other teams are jealous they don't have a creative "thing" to do after a win.

sargennm wrote:

What comment? I'm curious.

I don't remember exactly, but I am guessing it had something to do with a comment he made about how he should have won the MVP, not some other guy. I know, real specific.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Pujols: d-bag

Molina: d-bag

Glaus: d-bag

Still, IF Villanuva started yelling into the Cards' dugout after the out, that's over the line. Still haven't seen a replay that shows that clearly, although Villanueva's comments today indicate he probably did do it.

But if anyone has no right to complain, it's Pujols. You can keep saying you respect the game until you're blue in the face, but actions speak louder.

sargennm wrote:

What comment? I'm curious.

I don't remember exactly, but I am guessing it had something to do with a comment he made about how he should have won the MVP, not some other guy. I know, real specific.
If it's that, it was in reference to Ryan Howard winning the MVP a couple years ago.

"I see it this way: Someone who doesn't take his team to the playoffs doesn't deserve to win the MVP."

Then he said he never said that, that Howard deserved the award, and that he was angry at how his quote was spun.

Also, when Tom Glavine pitched 7 innings of shutout baseball against them in the 2006 playoffs, including holding Pujols hitless, Pujols' comment was, "He wasn't that good. He wasn't good at all."

Archived