Brewer Fanatic

St. Louis writer compares Brewers to Ron Artest

PrimeTime955

Check out this guys blog about the game last night. He has lot's of comments from Pujols and all that is fine. But he hit a nerve when he started talking about the Brewers in this paragraph.

One more thing: I don't understand the Brewers. I just don't. Really, I admire that team and its talent. Doug Melvin is one of the best guys in the game and an excellent GM. There are so many good players on that roster. But why do the Brewers always have to pull stunts? Why do they have to go knucklehead on us so often? What's up with yanking their shirts out of their pants on the field as soon as they win a game, which, despite what they claim, really is an insult to the other team? What's up with some of the showboat HR trots? What's up with a journeyman like Villanueva gesturing wildly and cursing in the direction of the STL dugout? I don't understand why this talented team feels that it needs to act up like NBA bad boy Ron Artest, or something. I don't understand why this Milwaukee team feels the need to be controversial. I don't understand the arrogance, considering that the Brewers have won NOTHING since 1982. And I don't understand how Yost continues to allow it to happen. The Brewers will probably make the playoffs. They are that good. But we must ask: can you fellas at least hold off on the showboating until you actually win something?
First of all, Carlos Villanueva is not a journeyman. And Ron Artest....really?

LINK to article

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah that blog is really condescending.

I guess I wasn't watching close enough to see if Carlos really did point in the Cards dugout and yell at them. If he did, I agree that was probably out of line, but I do find it ironic that it is the Cardinals who are playing the "defending the integrity of the game" card.

it seems like they are acting cocky, which can be fine but i am still a proponent of playing the game correctly and respecting the game. We did not like it when we were bad and Julian Taverez was celebrating every strike out excessively. I can see how the cards would not like Braun watching his homers in the box.

The Villaneuva incident I don't understand. Screaming into the cards dugout doesn't help us at all.

The untucking of the shirts I have no problem with and I don't understand why teams would be offended by that. Just the brewers way of celebrating victories.

Overall it appears to me that if you add how well you the team is doing combined with last years flop, I could see how the team could be cocky, and I think its OK to a point, but the game still deserves its respect.

1) As noted, I love how Carlos is a journeyman.... ok traded when he was like what 18 and in A ball, but has been with us since... ok?

2) Carlos didn't point into the dugout at all. He got pumped and kinda did the double pump n yell with his head down. He started throwing his hands up when Pujols said (and from what I could read of Albert's lips, which I got almost every word) "Shut the F up and go back to your dugout.... Shut the F up!" I'd throw my hands up too if someone told me to shut the F up when I stopped you from scoring when you had the bases loaded. Granted, they won the game, so obviously, who cares how happy Carlos was? He didn't win yet. The Cards are the ones who need to shut up and not sound like crybabies. They complain about every little thing. I could see them getting mad if the Crew had their shirts out during the game, but its after the last out..... who freakin cares?

According tho the Cardinals playing the game the right way and respecting the game means hitting players on a regular basis for perceived slights. Maybe don't hit Braun and you don't have to worry about the journeyman pitcher acting the fool. Pujols was the guy a fe years ago who wouldn't give a AA pitcher who stifled them for 6 innings any credit what so ever. How is that respecting anything? Give the kids his due even if you didn't think he was anything special.

The Brewers are young and sometimes that youth shows. Emotion is bound to catch up with them sometimes. I don't agree wiht what Villy did and Ned didn't either. I'm sure he will talk to him abut it.

On a different note if the antic of Villy really did wake them up and caused them to start to hit what the hell have they been doing before that? One would think a team that respected the game would play hard all the time and not need the wake up call. They are in a playoff race aren't they? Nice motivational job Tony. It takes an opposing player to get your team to wake up and play hard against the team they are chasing for the wildcard.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

I'm really astounded by the Cardinals.

I used to think that they were the epitome of class -- fans, media, players all alike. Now, the Brewers have their number this season, and they can't seem to accept it. They are whining about everything! I believe Carlos's actions were misconstrued by Pujols -- I'd be pretty pumped if I worked my way out of the jam he was in. Have they noticed the way Pujols watches his homers?

Plus, the Ron Artest comparison is RIDICULOUS. The Brewers haven't been in any brawls, haven't been controversial in any aspect (except the Cardinals don't care for the untucking the shirts). Ron Artest assaulted fans during a game! He was pretty close to being suspended by the NBA for life! We'd pretty much destroy TH if he wrote anything like that.

The Brewers haven't been in any brawls,

It's the Cards that are in a brawl or some sort of bean war every other week. Every move, every close pitch, every perceived slight has Tony and the boys throwing high and tight or in the back. I just don't see that as the right way to play the game.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Can you imagine if Pujols had to deal with K-Rod on a regular basis? I understand he might get ticked at what Villanueva did, but Villy's reaction pales in comparison to what K-Rod does on a nightly basis.

Whoa! I'll back you guys to the fullest on this one.

A writer from St Louis calling out somebody else for showboating? Hah! That's a good one. Just calling Villanueva a journeyman is enough to discredit his whole article.

Your guys are good and deserve to be a little confident in themselves AKA cocky.

What's up with yanking their shirts out of their pants on the field as soon as they win a game, which, despite what they claim, really is an insult to the other team?

I like this. If they would take the minute or two, to learn WHY they do it, they probably wouldn't have such of a problem with it.

When I was at the last series in St. Louis, I had an older Cards fan come up to me after the game and ask me about it. I told him the story, and all he said was, "I figured it was something like that". He didn't seem to have a problem with it.

Sore loosers is all they are. Get over it Cardinals.

What's up with yanking their shirts out of their pants on the field as soon as they win a game, which, despite what they claim, really is an insult to the other team?

I like this. If they would take the minute or two, to learn WHY they do it, they probably wouldn't have such of a problem with it.

When I was at the last series in St. Louis, I had an older Cards fan come up to me after the game and ask me about it. I told him the story, and all he said was, "I figured it was something like that". He didn't seem to have a problem with it.

Sore loosers is all they are. Get over it Cardinals.

Seriously, that's all people talked about down here on Monday and Tuesday. Even some knob TV sports foof made some production out of untucking his shirt after the Tuesday highlights when the Cards got smoked. God, I hate that team so much. I hope the Brewers make the playoffs and eliminate the Cards. If it happens, that night I'm going down to Busch Stadium with a giant Brewers flag and run around screaming, "Who's sleeping now?!?" And I'm going to wear 10 shirts, all tucked in, and jump on top of the Stan Musial statue and start untucking them one by one as I sing "Brewers, Brewers keep turning up the heat."

OK, I won't actually do that. But I'll really want to.

I love how Cardinal after Cardinal would throw their helmet, proiest and wine when they got out and that's OK. But a young guy who has struggled (journey man?) and made some big pitches pumps his fist and suddenly he's trouble? Jerks is what they are.

Thing is the Cards have this sense of entitlement. They can't stand the fact there is a new kid in town who can play because for so long it was so easy for them. And they see this isn't a 1-year fluke kinda thing. They potentially could be behind the Brewers for the next 3 or 4 years. And it frustrates them and their fan base.

For whatever reason they don't like the Brewers' happy-go-lucky mentality and approach. They have fun and show emotions and apparently that isn't right to the team that always looks miserable and only believes in throwing things like a child to express the human experience.

Thanks for the support Cubfan1126.

We sure have our differences with Cub fans but we're now starting to see why you guys hate them so much. Our best hitter gets hit in the ribs deliberately and the story is that our young pitcher, having struggled just a bit in his last appearence, gets out of a big jam and has the audacity to feel good about it. He'd be celebrating no matter what team he was facing in that spot but the Cardinals and their fans in all their arrogance think it was directed at them because after all, they are the Cardinals.

I'll second the appreciation for the viewpoint from a third-party fan.

Does anyone know if there is a definitive view that can confirm that Villy was shouting into the Cards dugout? The batter popped a foul ball up in front of their dugout, and who is to say that Villy wasn't yelling something to Kendall for helping him get out of that jam?

From my views, Villy only directed something specificly towards Pujols after the F-bombs started coming from the Cards side.

Anyone read the comments? At least one Card fan got it right:

Bernie, I think it is important that you support the Cardinals but as reporter you need to get the facts straight. I am a Cardinals fan but I don't like erroneous reporting. Your article indicates the "Cardinals say…Vallanueva pointed into their dugout." Why didn't you check the replay to verify if this was correct? As the overhead reply shows, Villanueva was excited and pumped his arms, but he did not point at the Cardinal dugout until after Pujols ran towards him and pointed his bat at him. After watching the replay and hearing Pujols postgame comments, he is coming off as very hypocritical and contradictory. Likewise, don't throw stones at glass houses if you don't like the way the opposing team runs the bases after homeruns when Pujols does the exact same thing. I love the Cardinals and the "homer" reporting you offer, I just beleive you need to get the facts before rendering an opinion.

- Ohio Fan

8:32 am August 28th, 2008

Provided that the celebration isn't directed toward your opponent, what's wrong with doing it in game? Are there other sports where showing emotional satisfaction on the field is frowned upon?

The Cardinals are not handling their third place status very well.

This totally reminds me of Michigan State fans and media since Bo Ryan took over the Badgers. They used to consistently beat the Badgers, but when Bo took over, the tables turned, and they simply couldn't accept it. They much preferred beating up on those Steve Yoder led teams, and now that they can't beat Bo, the Badgers are "classless" and Bo is the devil himself.

Archived