Brewer Fanatic

6/11/2006: Cardinals (Suppan) @ Brewers (Bush), 1:05 CT

hawing

The Brewers are 2-0 in games where hawing started the IGT.

So here goes. My six year old nephew will be seeing his first game today. Here's hoping the home team gives him a reason to actually want to return.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ah yes... A Brewer retro sunday and our old friend Jeff Suppan is on the mound for the Cards. (5-0 1.13 ERA at Miller Park)

Dave Bush needs another one of his good Miller Park outings today and hopefully the odds catch up to Suppan and we manage to touch him for a few runs early.

St. Louis Milwaukee --------- --------- Pos Player HR RBI AVG. Pos Player HR RBI AVG. --- ------ -- --- ---- --- ------ -- --- ---- SS Eckstein, David 1 17 .328 2B Weeks, Rickie 5 18 .297 LF Rodriguez, John 0 8 .313 SS Hall, Bill 14 31 .276 3B Rolen, Scott 7 38 .341 RF Jenkins, Geoff 7 37 .254 CF Edmonds, Jim 6 33 .245 LF Lee, Carlos 20 50 .274 RF Encarnacion, Juan 8 29 .258 1B Fielder, Prince 9 34 .296 1B Duncan, Chris 2 5 .294 3B Koskie, Corey 7 22 .263 C Molina, Yadier 1 20 .210 CF Gross, Gabe 6 16 .227 2B Luna, Hector 3 10 .310 C Moeller, Chad 2 5 .211 P Suppan, Jeff (5-4, 5.01) P Bush, Dave (4-5, 4.54) 

I know everyone wants to see Hart, but in Ned's defense, it's probably not a bad idea to add another lefthanded bat against Suppan. Especially considering he owns the Brewers.

Suppan:

BA/A OPS/A .319 .965 against leftys .257 .711 against rightys 

I would hope that Hart gets the start against lefthanded pitchers if Clark misses a significant amount of time.

While starting Hart is the popular choice, I can see why Gross is getting PT. He's more of a natural CF, and Ned likes to play the lefty/righty matchups fairly close to by the book. I imagine Hart starts vs. LHP, and Gross vs. RHP.

Three lefties in a row? This just a day after Yost said St Louis has two good LH bullpen guys and he wanted to make LaRussa think so he didn't put Koskie and Fielder back to back.

Sooner or later it will also be determined that Hall has too low of an OBP to hit 2nd. Ok, it won't.

Sooner or later it will also be determined that Hall has too low of an OBP to hit 2nd.

Maybe at the same time it's determined that the #3 hitter that has a lower OBP than Hall shouldn't be hitting there either?

Well at least Jenkins has shown that he could get on base in the past. Hall has always been a low OBP guy. That said a line up like:

Weeks

Koskie

Fielder

Lee

Jenkins

Hall

Gross

Moeller

would look much better, fipping Jenkins and Hall if you wish.

I wouldn't go so far as to call Gross another Helm's, but I sure as hell won't say anything "in Ned's defense" If we were defending Ned around numbers of righty and lefty pitching and batting average Jenks wouldn't play.....which would be fine with me being that there is replacement waiting for opportunity. I am with most of the sanity on here I go with Hart over Gross. Right, Lefty, underhand...doesn't matter.

Now that Brady is "ok" he'll be first off the pine to hit followed by Rillo, then maybe Hart

So exactly why am I insane for suggesting it's a good idea to add another lefthanded bat?

Look, I would like to see Hart get some playing time as much as anyone, What I don't get is what Gross has ever done that everyone seems to dismiss him as unworthy of playing time. Ned gets trashed on this site for not going by the book and he's also trashed when he does, but it affects a popular player. Ned made a decision that Gross is the 4th outfeilder, Hart is the 5th. I personally root for every player who puts on a Brewer uniform. I'd like them all to succeed.

Archived