Brewer Fanatic

Joe Morgan, Jon Miller, Bill Schroeder, Joe Buck, and Gracie

DHonks

so after perusing the Cincinnati picture thread, am I the only one who enjoys announcers that tell a good story, even if they might not be well versed in the modern game? I've always loved games when Joe Morgan is working, as his stories and smooth voice help make the broadcast entertaining. I know he doesn't know squat about OPS. But to be honest, I've never watched/listened to a ballgame to learn something. Rather, it's about the excitement of the game. It's always funny to me when the in-game threads blast an announcer. Seriously...you're watching the game to watch the game, not to hear the announcer. As long as the person isn't boring and unexciting, I don't care what they say. Vin Scully could be reading a book out loud on the air, and I'd still get goosebumps hearing his voice while watching baseball.

So I guess, why all the hatred of announcers? I know there are plenty of people that must enjoy hearing these guys. But I can't recall anyone making comments in support of them. To me, when someone critiques these announcers over and over, it reminds me of how pompous and partisan people were right after 9/11 when--rather than intently listening to Bush's speeches--they watched just to wait for a chance to laugh at a mis-pronunciation. To me, why watch/listen if you know all you are going to do is complain about the announcer and declare him a moron or idiot?

What bothers me about Joe Morgan is how he's so full of himself. A couple weeks ago he went on with a story about when he got a game winning RBI in his Major League debut against Philly. Thing is that game never happened. The story was either confused with another game or made up altogether.

As an isolated incident it's not a big deal, but he does that kind of thing all the time. Insists a call was right, replay shows call was clearly wrong, doesn't say anything.

And he NEVER answers questions directly or provides real analysis (especially in his ESPN.com chats). He simply doesn't do the job he's paid to do.

Throw in his campaigning against Sandberg for the Hall, and he's just an all-around winner.

Edit: Link to article

Joe Morgan is the same guy who continued to diss Ryne Sandberg and continued to boast himself as "the only 2nd baseman who belongs in the Hall of Fame."

I used to watch the Cubs prior to the Brewers switch to the NL, and I think Sandberg probably had better numbers than Morgan. Only difference was Morgan had the rings.

firejoemorgan.net has really put Morgan's glaring weaknesses on display for me. He sounds like a typical ESPN analyst who doesn't say anything because they speak in cliches or just promote the people they want to promote.

The announcers to a game matter -- a lot. I also love a good story, which is why Bob Uecker is so great. But an annoying announcer can just ruin the game. If you need evidence, try watching the Home Run Derby with Berman, Morgan, and Dusty Baker.

Voice matters, too. You're spot on with Vin Scully and I'd add Jon Miller to that list, too.

Guys like Joe Morgan ruin games for me. I'll watch on mute or not watch at all. He's a pompous ass that won't admit he's wrong, even when the video replays clearly show he's wrong. There are few guys that I despise, but Joe Morgan is one of them. Tim McCarver sucks, too. (www.shutuptimmccarver.com) Oh, and try listening to Ron Santo on the radio sometime. Trust me, it matters.

Quote:
To me, why watch/listen if you know all you are going to do is complain about the announcer and declare him a moron or idiot?

Nobody does this.

So you're saying you don't mind hearing cliche after cliche after cliche after cliche as long as it's delivered smoothly? And you don't mind someone lying to you, and making something up as long as it is entertaining?

I think, perhaps the people who criticize the announcers have higher expectations than you do. Do you think those expectations are too high?

I do the ESPN games the same way as I do the Crew. TV on mute and radio on. I like Dave Campbell and Shulman is good too, but I miss having Charley Steiner.

I'd also like to hear Buck Martinez tell the story of the old grocer, the apron and the can of corn! Oh Buck, he crushed that one...

On July 2nd or so, in an ESPN radio interview, Morgan said that CC Sabathia should start for the AL in the All-Star Game instead of Justin Verlander, despite the fact that Justin had better stats, had thrown a no-hitter, and a few days earlier, in a head-to-head matchup, had clearly outpitched CC. Morgan's rationale? "CC's just as good, and it would send the right message to inner city kids to play more baseball."

Yeah, I'm sure kids of color in urban areas were holding a baseball in one hand, and a basketball or a football in the other, and thinking to themselves "If Sabathia starts the All-Star Game, then baseball it is!!" http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/laugh.gif

"So if this fruit's a Brewer's fan, his ass gotta be from Wisconsin...(or Chicago)."

Yeah, I'm sure kids of color in urban areas were holding a baseball in one hand, and a basketball or a football in the other, and thinking to themselves "If Sabathia starts the All-Star Game, then baseball it is!!"

Lol. Not to hijack the thread, but I am so sick of MLB pandering to the "racial" balance of baseball. When was the last time the NBA was concerned about bringing baseball to the white suburban kids to increase the racial balance of baseketball.

Dhonks,

I guess I'll be the only one to at least somewhat agree with you.

It's has always struck me as strange how opinionated some people are regarding sports announcers. Yes, there are some announcers that I'm not really thrilled about. I thought Jim Pascke was boring and I feel somewhat the same way about Brian Anderson. However, I don't dislike them so much that I turn down the sound or go into a rant every time their names are mentioned.

Trust me, I'm probably one of the most easily annoyable people you will ever find, but I never could understand how easily people are annoyed (or overly enamoured for that matter) with sports announcers.

Sometimes I think people read way too much in to what announcers say.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

I wouldn't compare any of this to 9/11...that's just in a different league.

I don't mind Joe Morgan too much as long as he's just a color guy and I'll ignore some stuff. I like Jon Miller just for his sound.

I do dislike Bill Scroeder a bit just because I'd like a guy like Larry McCarren in the booth.

Joe Buck just drives me nuts because I think he's too overdramatic at times. Buck and Aikman calling football games is just watching a "home game" for whatever team they like more.

"To me, when someone critiques these announcers over and over, it reminds me of how pompous and partisan people were right after 9/11 when--rather than intently listening to Bush's speeches--they watched just to wait for a chance to laugh at a mis-pronunciation."

I think this is the first time Joe Morgan, Jon Miller, Bill Schroeder, Joe Buck and Mark Grace have been mentioned alongside 9/11. Hopefully, the new edition of Loose Change will keep it up.

Patrick425, good to hear there's someone else out there. I just get a little annoyed at the complaining (I realize I am complaining now) about announcers day after day. I watch on the MLB Extra Innings Package, and there are lots of announcers I can't stand. There are lots on XM radio I can't stand. But I'm in it for the game. Maybe I'm different than most here though. I do despite Bill Walton, Phil Simms, Don Sutton, and a handful of others. But I generally enjoy these others.

Archived