Brewer Fanatic

Your Best/Worst List of Wisconsin restuarants

fondybrewfan
  • Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Best Mexican in the City: Lopez Bakery - and its not even close.

Its authentic, delicious. The atmosphere is very relaxed as it is in the middle of a Mexican bakery. And after you finish your meal, you can load up on a bunch of delicious Mexican sweet breads.

I am living in Mexico, and I still miss that restaurant. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif Try the gorditas made with carne asada. Yum!!! The chimichangas are also to die for.

If you're talking about the place on Packard, they closed.

Here are a few of my favorites that I can think of:

Pizzaria Uno's in Platteville: This Uno's in not affiliated with the national chain, and this is a good thing. The use beer in their pizza crust and are very generous with their toppings. They also have the best Long Island's I have ever had and come in a 30 oz or so mug for $6.

Edwardo's Pizza Wagon in LaCrosse: Again, this is not to be confused with the Edwardo's pizza chain. They have a wide selection of incredible wood-fried pizzas and the best deep fried cheese curds I have ever had. They are literally the size of a golf ball.

Antoher restuarant that my wife and I liked is That's Amore in Milwaukee. We were recommended by a friend and have only been there once, but it was very difficult to choose from the entrees, which all looked great. We both really liked our selections, and will probably go back again sometime.

Mexican - Acapulcos

Pizza - Toss up depending on the mood....Maria's or Unos, Mr D's kicks butt, but I havent had them for years....

Italian - Ingrillis

Burger - Not a big burger fan, but Cream City Custard that just opened up is pretty good

Greek - Golden Gyros on Lincoln

Steak - I like Porterhouse

Quick food, Ill go with Qdoba or Cousins

a couple madison places i havent seen mentioned:

parthenon has by far the best gyros around...they destroy OG's and any other place in milwaukee.

come back inn breakfast. the grease is really good at combating hangovers. also kind of interesting to eat breakfast at the place you got wasted at the night before!

some milwaukee places...many already mentioned:

speed queen...delicious

kelly's bleachers in wind lake...delicious burgers and a solid fish fry

kind of off-topic, but can someone explain the fascination with the olive garden? we seem to drive by the one near southridge alot on friday and saturday nights, and there are always people strewn everywhere waiting to be seated. i dont get it. there are so many better italian places than the olive garden.

temke wrote:

kind of off-topic, but can someone explain the fascination with the olive garden? we seem to drive by the one near southridge alot on friday and saturday nights, and there are always people strewn everywhere waiting to be seated. i dont get it. there are so many better italian places than the olive garden.

Probably marketing. Most people probably don't know about other Italian places especially if they are not from around the area. Location would be my 2nd guess.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

For Mexican, I like El Chico's over on the east side. They have ginormous burritos there. Sadly, I haven't been there in awhile. In high school, that place was a college fair tradition. You could miss the first six periods of the day for the college fair, so we'd go for a half hour, screw around downtown, head to El Chico's for a 24 inch burrito, and be back to school in time to spend all of 7th hour on the toilet.

I'm sad that one of my favorite Mexican places closed recently. Dos Bandidos off of Green Bay and Silver Spring. Great food, nice atmosphere, and giant pitchers of margaritas.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

"parthenon has by far the best gyros around...they destroy OG's and any other place in milwaukee. "

Oakland Gyros beats the snot out of Parthenon and it's not even close.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

For Mexican, I like El Chico's over on the east side. They have ginormous burritos there. Sadly, I haven't been there in awhile. In high school, that place was a college fair tradition. You could miss the first six periods of the day for the college fair, so we'd go for a half hour, screw around downtown, head to El Chico's for a 24 inch burrito, and be back to school in time to spend all of 7th hour on the toilet.

I'm sad that one of my favorite Mexican places closed recently. Dos Bandidos off of Green Bay and Silver Spring. Great food, nice atmosphere, and giant pitchers of margaritas.

Sorry to bring this up, but El Chico is bye bye too. The Black and White restaurant is opening its place soon.

As far as the Milwaukee area, I've gone out of my way to get other places in Wisconsin by going to Kopp's first. I once took a detour through Milwaukee from St. Paul to Phoenix to go to Kopp's and visit Brian.

Mader's was a place my family went to a lot when we went down to Milwaukee (we were from Oshkosh). Pretty solid German food.

As for Oshkosh, I have two shout-outs. First, Doctor Benzie's Pizza. I went there about once a week from 10-12 years of age, and every time I go back to visit my dad. Really solid pizza, they pack the toppings on huge, almost like a deep dish without the sides sometimes. Great, friendly staff. Second, Two Brothers Restaurant just off of 41 on Highway 21. Run by Greek immigrants, it has nothing but 50 different awesome greasy spoon menu items. Their gyro omlette is to die for. They moved to the building across the street recently (it used to be a Big Boy), but I assume the greasy awesomeness is still the same.

Cranky Pat's in Neenah. NOT Cranky Al's in Tosa.

I was gonna mention that El Chico's was closed down too. Bummer because it wasn't the best, but it was good enough and still cheap. What's this Black and White restaraunt all about?

Best part about Chico's was that after the bars closed you could get a burrito and order a beer even after 2:30. They would just pour it into a styrofoam soda cup. Awesome place.

I will add that I think Gillies is over rated (Both the original in Milwaukee and the one in FDL). I will take A & W Drive In everday of the week over Gillies.

fondybrewfan,

Haven't been to Gilles in Fondy in about 35 years. Was hangout place for my generation as teenagers in Fondy. Back then was start off place for cruising Main street. The A&W is also at the same location in Fondy it was some 50 years ago. Still remember as small kid in back of parents car drinking root beer in frosted mugs with the Braves on the radio.

Both those places deserve respect for their history if nothing else.

Don't dine much in Wisconsin, but we do try to get to Bluemond Gardens (Wauwautosa?) after a Brewer game once a year. We don't find that kind of value in Illinois.

For ribs fans, if you are ever in NW suburbs of Chicago, I recommend Sweet Baby Rays on Higgins in Elk Grove Village (they have another location in Wood Dale). It's about a mile or two east of Woodfield Mall.

Archived