Brewer Fanatic

Your Best/Worst List of Wisconsin restuarants

fondybrewfan

Milwaukee: Holiday House, Sanford, and Bacchus are three extremely good restaurants

If you are looking a little less expensive than the Pasta Tree and Coquette Cafe are also 2 of my favorites.

I used to do dining reviews on a semi-regular basis so i've definitely had my share of good and bad food in the area http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My #1 place is Barbiere's Italian Inn on Bluemound, the lasagna, garlic bread and pizza are the best I've ever had, no contest.

Favorite custard is Leon's on 27th st. in Milwaukee.

Favorite burrito in Milwaukee is from Jalisco's, man I miss those Burrito Suizo's.

I moved to Madison about 4 years ago, and my favorites here are:

Smoky Jon's BBQ on the Northside- best ribs in Madison

Dotty's Dumplings Dowry- really good burgers

La Hacienda Restaurant - Authentic Mexican Food, although we can't go there anymore because they apparantly don't pay there employees fairly, big labor dispute.

Bunky's a Mediterranean place on Atwood is good, but I still haven't found anything in Madison close to Barbiere's.

Wilson's bar and grill on Atwood, great place to get cheap and very good eats and watch the game.

My least favorites places are:

The El Dorado Grill, I thought this was very bland and unimpressive.

Benvinuto's, just not very good, nothing seems home made, gave me an Applebee's Italian verson vibe.

Erin's Snug Irish Pub, cool place but wasn't impressed w/ the food, the Beef Stew tasted like a poor man's Dinty Moore.

Faves:

Schwartz's in St. Anna (near Elkhart Lake)

I love that place. So good, so cheap. It's like the quintessential Wisconsin Supper Club.

Fishbone's in Delafield is probably my favorite "fancier" resuarant in southern Wisconsin. My wife always chooses it for her birthday. They serve cajun food with an Asian influence. Good stuff, lots of seafood and somewhat reasonable.

I also love the Great Dane, more so for the beer than the food like someone else said. Ian's Pizza is another good one in Madison, same with the Weary Traveller. It's a little pretentious for me, but the bad breath burger is hands down the best burger I've ever had.

Faves:

Schwartz's in St. Anna (near Elkhart Lake)

I love that place. So good, so cheap. It's like the quintessential Wisconsin Supper Club.
I live pretty close to this place and the fact that there is over an hour wait to eat at 3:00 on a Wednesday afternoon kills me and make me rarely go there. No reservations either.

When I think of Wisconsin restaurants, I think of Supper Clubs where every Friday they have a fish fry and every Saturday they have the prime rib special -- and it's 'the best prime rib in the state'.
I, too, have grown up to enjoy the Supper Club (and Bar & Grill) experience and food, more than any dedicated restaurants (or chains). If anyone finds themselves spending time in the Wausau Area, I highly recommend the Loading Zone.

Captain Nemo's- Eagle River (Fantastic Cajun, steaks, etc. mmmmmmm Blackened Prime Rib)

Pizza- Sammy's in Appleton

Fish Fry- Mark's East Side in Appleton (Perch, haddock, walleye..it's all outstanding)

Chinese- A place in Waukesha I can't remember

Bar food- Mineshaft in Hartford- cheap huge portions of pretty darn good food.

Italian- Mama Mias- Milwaukee

Steak- Jake's in Brookfield- mostly because of the haystack onion rings.

Thai- King and I- Milw

Mexican- Any hole in the wall joint in the 3rd Ward

I have a weakness for Italian foods since I am part Italian so here is my list:

Racine area

Pizza - Wells Brothers (Ranked in the Top 10 Nationwide for best pizza) but is located in a really bad neighborhood

DeRangos (On Six Mile Road)

Best Chain Restaurant - The Chancery

Best "Fast Food" Restaurant - Noodles and Company (depends on the location)

Mexican Food - La Tapatia (located near Wells Brothers in one of the worst areas in Racine)

Seafood - Yardarm Pub

Worst List

Chain Restaurant - George Webb (I almost threw up looking at my overeasy eggs and just looking at some of the people that work there, every one of the Webb restaurants seems like a stereotypical diner where you'd see the cook smoking a cigarette and having ashes fall onto your food)

Any Sub Sandwich shop because they never make my sandwiches right and it grosses me out sometimes

When I lived in Waukesha for a very short time - Mama Mia's in downtown Waukesha

I believe El Dorado Grill is also a Food Fight venue. I still have to try that, and Tex Tubb's.

In fact, I think we have a Food Fight gift card at home.../drooling/

Speaking of Food Fight . . . has anyone been to Monty's Blue Plate lately? I recently ate there on four straight Thursdays (my son had soccer practice on the East side) and I was totally underwhelmed by the food and the service. I used to live nearby and remember absolutely loving it.

Senor Tomas for Mexican in Hartland.

Quaker Steak and Lube, at least the one sw of Madison is a favorite when in the area.

I also miss going to Emperor's Kitchen in Tosa - good Chinese, though the local King's Wok is ok.

Milwaukee: Holiday House, Sanford, and Bacchus are three extremely good restaurants

If you are looking a little less expensive than the Pasta Tree and Coquette Cafe are also 2 of my favorites.

I used to do dining reviews on a semi-regular basis so i've definitely had my share of good and bad food in the area http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Sadly, Holiday House closed about 6 months ago. Hinterland, in that same neighborhood is excellent. My favorite in Milwaukee is Crazy Water.

Faves - all Milwaukee area

Elsa's - amazing burgers - also try the bacon wrapped water chestnuts

Roots - everything's good

Zaffiro's - best thin crust pizza I've ever had

Kil@wat - in the Intercontinental Hotel - SOLID

Swig - in the 3rd Ward, great food at a reasonable price

Worst pretty much any restaurant in the city limits of Sheboygan. I was not impressed with anything there. Obviously now, being in a major metro area (San Antonio), there's lot of choices, and really good food! Much more flavor than anything I found in Sheboygan.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
You're seriously comparing Sheboygan to San Antonio?
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

No, not really. San Antonio is head and shoulders above Sheboygan. No comparison. Rephrasing what I said before, food in Sheboygan, compared to other places I ate in Wisconsin, was awful. No flavor, no taste, no nothing. I never found a local place that I really liked.

No, not really. San Antonio is head and shoulders above Sheboygan. No comparison. Rephrasing what I said before, food in Sheboygan, compared to other places I ate in Wisconsin, was awful. No flavor, no taste, no nothing. I never found a local place that I really liked.

Ah, OK. That makes more sense. I've only eaten at Charcoal Grill in Sheboygan so I have no point of reference.

Although the Horse and Plow or whatever that place is called at American Club is pretty good....granted that's more Plymouth but same neck of the woods.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I'm with Homer all 3 of those choices are excellent. Though I'd say Lake Park Bistro is probably my favorite restaurant in Milwaukee. You can't really go wrong with a Bartalotta place. I've never had a bad experience.

Hey Homer have you been to Hinterland in the Third Ward? I went recently and had maybe the best dining experience I've had in Milwaukee. Great service, excellent food and they make their own beer. Their menu is everchanging, but the options are always really intriguing.

http://www.hinterlandbeer...restaurantmilwaukee.shtml

No, I moved to Chicago about three years ago and that place opened after I moved. I've heard really good things from friends that still live in MKE though.

And my favorite steak place in the world is Eddie Martini's in Wauwatosa.

Ah, OK. That makes more sense. I've only eaten at Charcoal Grill in Sheboygan so I have no point of reference.

Although the Horse and Plow or whatever that place is called at American Club is pretty good....granted that's more Plymouth but same neck of the woods.

Charcoal Grill is horrible. Horse and Plow is awesome. That's Kohler, which is a completely different (and better) world than Sheboygan. Even Plymouth has great places. But the regular places (outside of Blue Harbor) are all dives and have unbelievably awful food that has no flavor. But I guess when everything is eaten while drinking 6-10 beers, taste really doesn't matter.

Best Greasy Spoon - Ted's (62nd and North Ave, Milwaukee)

Best Restaurant - Eddie Martini's (Watertown Plank Rd. Wauwatosa)

Best Organic (Runner-up best restaurant) - Roots (Brewer's Hill, Milwaukee)

Best Mexican - La Fuente (Runner-up La Estacion in Waukesha)

Best Sushi - Izumi's

Best Chinese - Yen Ching

Best Pizza - Balistreri's Ristorante (68th and Wells, Wauwatosa)

Honorable Mention Miscellaneous - Crawdaddy's

Worst Greasy Spoon - George Webb's. I hate it!

Worst Mexican - La Perla

I don't really go to bad restaurants.

I believe I've mentioned that I live in San Francisco way too much in my posts, but I think Craigharmann has me beat with his San Antonio references!

Hey Series, have you been to the Stinking Rose? I was in SF 2 years ago and I loved that place. (especially the garlic ice cream.)

BTW, let me add the Courthouse Pub in Manitowoc - very nice and the owner loves our golf group when we show up once a year.

Archived