Brewer Fanatic

End of an Era, moving...

jaybird2001wi

On Saturday my parents are moving from the South side of Racine to the North Side near Caledonia and although I am 25 and should be living on my own by now, it will be emotional.
I grew up in this house and moved into the house July of 1987 and my parents and I unearthed a lot of weird things in the process. Some of the stuff they wrapped up in newspapers were still in the original boxes and newspapers from when we moved in 21 years ago. There was even an article on Paul Molitor's 39-game hitting streak in an August edition of the Milwaukee Journal in 1987.
It will be weird for me because I did move away for awhile, moved back in, moved away again and then moved back in and every single house in this neighborhood I remember who lived in each from as far back as 1990.
It is also weird because only two neighbors remain from the time I moved in until now (an elderly couple down the block and an annoying neighbor two houses down) and everyone else has come and gone. I still talk to the "kids" I made friends with back in 1987 when I was just four years old. Now we all are in our mid to late 20's and are either married, have our final 9-5 jobs and some own our own homes. I was the youngest of the group of kids in the neighborhood so this neighborhood is the only neighborhood I ever truly remember.

After Saturday I will make almost daily visits to the old neighborhood for "meetings" and it will be weird knowing I will be going north instead of staying around afterwards.
On the bright side, the old neighborhood has gone downhill in a big way since then. Now every two or three months the Milwaukee news stations cover some "bad news" about my neighbors and the crime rate has jumped (drugs, some violent crime) and less favorable people have moved in. The new neighborhood is in a nicer subdivision. My parents have wanted to get out of this neighborhood for the longest time and they finally are.
Anyone got related stories?

Archived