Brewer Fanatic

2008 NL Manager of the Year - Yost's Chances

GoudaBrew
  • Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Astros brought in a bunch of FA in the past 2-3 years, hard to give someone manager of the year for playing roughly .500 ball which the team was expected to do anyway. I don't know who should get the award because well the whole thing is pretty silly if you ask me but I don't see how the Astros are doing anything beyond expectations given their payroll etc.

Don't hurt me FTJ -- I think Yost has a shot to win it. I think if the Cubs keep winning like they are Yost will lose, but if the Brewers win the division it will be Yost's award. I think we have to sit back and think how this award is won -- the media. For as much hate ESPN gets around here, if they play the whole 'first time in 26 years!' deal the Brewers will get a ton of attention. ESPN has been talking CC all morning and I don't think it's far fetched to think the media will cling to the Brewers should they win the division. Does he deserve it? Who knows. I personally think the manager/coach of the year awards are somewhat silly.

I think Pinella gets it if the Cubs break 100, but Jerry Manuel could easily win taking over as interim manager and leading the Mets to the NL East title. And he'll have the New York press on his side especially to spite Randolph and to rub it in the playoffless Yankees' faces.

Against Cubs, July 30. Parra battting in fifth, Kendall on first. Parra missed, Kendall thrown out easily.

Parra then tripled to LC. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/mad.gif

This logic is so flawed. If Kendall is still on first, the pitcher would be pitching out of the stretch, and would most likely have different pitch selection. The hit and run may have been dumb, but you can't say that Parra still would have tripled, if Kendall was still on first.

I'm sorry

Apology accepted. -- It's a Fargo reference.

This logic is so flawed. If Kendall is still on first, the pitcher would be pitching out of the stretch, and would most likely have different pitch selection. The hit and run may have been dumb, but you can't say that Parra still would have tripled, if Kendall was still on first.

I think all TLB is saying no one like to see a baserunner get wiped out, only to see the next batter get a hit that would have scored him. The discussion was revolving around how certain posters remembered the H&R play -- Parra hitting a triple is going to stick in people's mind.

I think all TLB is saying no one like to see a baserunner get wiped out, only to see the next batter get a hit that would have scored him.

Yep. I realize the outcome of that specific at-bat for Parra doesn't necessarily make the hit-&-run a good or bad idea. I think it's a crappy idea in the vast majority of scenarios, and especially when your pitcher is batting.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I have to agree with whoever said Jerry Manuel in New York. If the Mets win the division, I really see no way that he doesn't win it. There is the whole "turned the season around" angle with him. I think the whole award is crap as managers don't matter much, but whatever. The media likes to play up the importance of their awards no matter how flawed their reasoning behind handing them out may be.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

There a definitely several good choices this season. I don't know how you could not include Yost among them. My top 3 in no particular order: Yost, Pinella, and Jerry Manuel. You can't argue much against any of them with the season's their teams have had so far. The Cubs are fighting for the top record in baseball. The Mets have had a nice turn around, and the Brewers are going to likely have a big jump in the win total from last year. I think Doug Melvin said something along the lines that it is easier to go from 71 to 81 wins than it is to go from 81 to 91 wins. If the Brewers finsih the rest of the Schedule with a .500 record, that will be a 10 game jump for them.

I am definitely rooting for Yost to win it, so that he can get the respect he deserves among Brewer fans. I won't be upset if another strong canidate wins it though. The Brewers will hopefully finish this season strong enough to make the playoffs. We will be treated to an amazing season whether or not anyone wins any awards. (CC for Cy Cy too!)

I am definitely rooting for Yost to win it, so that he can get the respect he deserves among Brewer fans.

I agree, but I don't see. Brewer nation would complain about him after winning the world series, which is sad. Fans will say they won despite of him and not because of him. I don't think Yost is a great manager, but I do think he did a solid job this year and is part of why the Brewers are in the race.

Its not only the Gagne usage, its the CC usage. He has no problem throwing him out there for the 8th and 9th and 130 pitches with a 6 run lead. But with his team clinging to a 2-1 lead in the middle of a 4 game losing streak, CC gets pulled after 7 and 106 pitches. Defies. All. Baseball. Logic.

Its not only the Gagne usage, its the CC usage. He has no problem throwing him out there for the 8th and 9th and 130 pitches with a 6 run lead. But with his team clinging to a 2-1 lead in the middle of a 4 game losing streak, CC gets pulled after 7 and 106 pitches. Defies. All. Baseball. Logic.
Yeah, that may have been one of if not they biggest mistake Ned has made this season. To throw Gagne in that situation in that important of a game after CC was doing so well was just dumb. If I was the manager, I would have either let CC pitch the 8th and go to Torres in the 9th or I would have put Torres out there for the 8th and the 9th.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

Actually, it doesn't. It makes perfect sense. Do you think it is easier to pitch once your PC gets into 3 digits with a 6 run lead in mid-August, or clinging to a 1 run lead in a game you pretty much have to have to have in September? To assume that the stress level associated with those extra 24 pitches is the same is of course ridiculous. If he tires and gives it up with a 6 run lead, you have an opportunity to recover. If he tires and gves it up last night, you probably don't.

You wouldn't have criticized Ned had he left CC in over 100 pitches to give up the lead last night, would you?

Actually, it doesn't. It makes perfect sense. Do you think it is easier to pitch once your PC gets into 3 digits with a 6 run lead in mid-August, or clinging to a 1 run lead in a game you pretty much have to have to have in September? To assume that the stress level associated with those extra 24 pitches is the same is of course ridiculous. If he tires and gives it up with a 6 run lead, you have an opportunity to recover. If he tires and gves it up last night, you probably don't.

You wouldn't have criticized Ned had he left CC in over 100 pitches to give up the lead last night, would you?

I know I would not have. CC in the 8th even at 100 pitches is better to me than Gagne. I was in a room with some other guys and even before the move was made we all thought CC was going to come back out for the 8th. They did not need to pinch hit for him so I figured he was good to go.

I was fully expecting to see CC in the 8th. And you can talk stress level all you like, a pitch is a pitch. Are you trying to say, physically, the 120th pitch in a game led by 6 runs is different from the 120th pitch in a game led by 1 run?!? I can see your point if you would take the mental angle, but physically I really don't see stress making any difference.

I can see your point if you would take the mental angle, but physically I really don't see stress making any difference.
First of all, don't underestimate the mental angle, but if you want to say its strictly physical, when you are getting tired, do you think its easier to groove a fast ball down the middle with a 6 run lead and dare them to hit it, or try to throw a perfect breaking ball on the black with a 1 run lead and hope they don't?

Regardless, I was screaming WHY IN THE HECK WAS SHOUSE NOT IN WITH LH HITTING COMING UP AND MOTA WARMING IN THE PEN? The managerial for dummies book lists when to pitch Gagne see.....

#10345 Bring in Eric Gagne only at game 150 or later if division/wildcard is clinched with a 10 run lead

Archived