Brewer Fanatic

2008 NL Manager of the Year - Yost's Chances

GoudaBrew
  • Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thanks RU. I guess those who thought if we missed the playoff by that one game he lost can now rest easy since the team chasing us evened it out. Just goes to show all managers, even the supposedly best in the game types, make really stupid moves. Ned may be dumb at times but it seems a contagious disease that only effects major league managers. Thankfully it seems to afflict all of them.
There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

If the Cardinals don't absolutely collapse in the final month, I think LaRussa gets it. Piniella will be second, Fredi Gonzalez of the Marlins third.

If the Brewers don't absolutely collapse in the final month, I'll eat my shirt if Ned doesn't finish in the top three. It's one thing to hate Ned, but it's a bit delusional to think that he wouldn't finish in the top three. When the manager of the poster child for small market teams (ever since the phrase was coined) has the 2nd best record in the NL, he's going to get serious consideration for the top spot much less the top three.

Parra then tripled to LC.

Obviously Ned knew what he was doing while LaRussa is just plain stupid.http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/laugh.gif

I have to ask. Do you guys just remember that stuff, did that play stick in your head for some reason or did you look it up? I have a hard time remembering specific plays two days later, unless it was unusual for some reason, let alone a single moment a month ago.

Parra then tripled to LC.

Obviously Ned knew what he was doing while LaRussa is just plain stupid.http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/laugh.gif

I have to ask. Do you guys just remember that stuff, did that play stick in your head for some reason or did you look it up? I have a hard time remembering specific plays two days later, unless it was unusual for some reason, let alone a single moment a month ago.

actually, I think Ned said something stupid after that happened. Something to the effect of, he was trying to avoid the triple. Or some crap like that. Please someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I hate Ned as much as the next guy, but even I have to admit if the Brewers make the playoffs for the first time in many peoples lives on this board, he is going to get a lot of votes for manager of the year.

I have to ask. Do you guys just remember that stuff, did that play stick in your head for some reason or did you look it up?

Doing a H&R with the pitcher at the plate is monumentally stupid, and stuck in my mind.

Parra compounding the stupidity by hitting a 3b, cemented the image for me.

Like FTJ, I remembered because it was just so profoundly dumb.

Thanks guys. I feel less stupid now even though I don't remember it. I think the fact that I don't think managerial moves in the game is all that important is probably why those type of things don't get stuck in my head. It is dumb in my mind but not significant. Other than I can bash LaRussa for it. That is always something worth remembering.

Buc, the fact that LaRussa did it should give credence to the fact that ALL managers do some things at points of the season that just don't make sense to the many of the rest of us. Ned is no worse than most and I'd actually say he's probably better than most. I doubt that the people who want Ned gone will ever see it that way, but I think it's true. And more to your point... it's pretty much inconsequential in the grand scheme of things - even though things like that can irk all of us from time to time.

It is interesting to read how Yost-haters fit there Yost hating philosophy with the possibilty of him winning manager of the year. I think he'll probably get the award unless the Cubs push a 100 wins. The Cubs would need to get to 97 or 98 wins with the Brewers being only around 91 for "Sweet" Lou to get the award over Yost. Yost does not even sniff the award though if the Brewers miss the playoffs.

It is interesting to read how Yost-haters fit there Yost hating philosophy with the possibilty of him winning manager of the year.

I have been a Nedophile for years but in defense to those who hate Yost I don't think hating him and thinking he's a good manager are mutually exclusive. I hate LaRussa I think he's an arrogant jerk who picks fights with every team he faces for perceived slights always making sure he gets the first shot in so his players don't have to worry about getting payback without losing their pitcher in the process. That doesn't mean I can't admit he is a good manager. I just don't want him managing the team I root for. I think most of the Yost haters are getting to or are already at that point now. It's hard to argue he's useless with the second best record in the league. That doesn't mean they have to like him though.

I think he'll probably get the award unless the Cubs push a 100 wins.

I disagree -- and it has nothing to do with me wanting Yost to be thrown in a wood-chipper. I think Yost could finish as high as 3rd, but I think it

is Sweet Lou's award to lose. I have seen enough of these awards to know that Yost is not going to win.

To think that Yost could not win the MOY award is bunk in my opinion. How many of the 28 members of the BBWAA actually watch the Brewers on a pitch by pitch basis yet alone game by game basis ? The writers will have no clue as to any of his bonehead calls or of any bad calls from any other manager. The writers don't have the personal bias of the everyday fan.

If the Brewers win the Wild card and make the playoffs for the first time since 1982, Yost has a good chance of winning the award. Its a feel good story for Baseball. As a reference in 2003 Tony Pena won the award with the Royals who finished third in the Division, 2004, Buck Showalter won the award and the Rangers finsihed third in the American League West, and most recently Joe Girardi of the Marlins won the award in 2006 with the team finishing fourth in the NL East.

Hate to say it but its a possibility that Yost could win MOY

Tony Pena -- 67 wins --> 83 wins

Buck Showalter -- 71 wins --> 89 wins

That's why those 2 won it -- Girardi getting the Marlins competitive after they dumped their entire team was a recognizable feat as well

None of these 3 cases are comparable to Yost.

Hate to say it but its a possibility that Yost could win MOY

It's a possibility, sure, not likely though.

Joe Girardi of the Marlins won the award in 2006 with the team finishing fourth in the NL East

That was a huge mistake for manager of the year. Most managers could have improved a team drastically with the talent that he had come in that year. Many would have done it without burning out 2-3 young arms in the process.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I could see it if the Brewers make the playoffs, especially if they have the 2nd best record in the NL.

Not really sure who deserves it, would probably be best to compare W3 to actual wins or something like that.

If the Cardinals don't absolutely collapse in the final month, I think LaRussa gets it. Piniella will be second, Fredi Gonzalez of the Marlins third.

If the Brewers don't absolutely collapse in the final month, I'll eat my shirt if Ned doesn't finish in the top three. It's one thing to hate Ned, but it's a bit delusional to think that he wouldn't finish in the top three. When the manager of the poster child for small market teams (ever since the phrase was coined) has the 2nd best record in the NL, he's going to get serious consideration for the top spot much less the top three.

I don't hate Ned (don't love him, either), I just wrote who I thought would be the top three. I didn't say those are the ones I'd vote for.

I have to ask. Do you guys just remember that stuff, did that play stick in your head for some reason or did you look it up?

I remember that sequence without having to look it up. I'd remember it anyway, but Parra tripling afterwards makes it stick out more.

actually, I think Ned said something stupid after that happened. Something to the effect of, he was trying to avoid the triple. Or some crap like that. Please someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm too lazy to go dig for it, but (in response to a question about Parra tripling after the blown H&R) iirc he said something to the effect of, 'Well, I didn't want him to triple then'. It was probably made worse by being pulled out of context, but Yost came off looking like a fool -- familiar territory for him, of course.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

To think that Yost could not win the MOY award is bunk in my opinion. How many of the 28 members of the BBWAA actually watch the Brewers on a pitch by pitch basis yet alone game by game basis ? The writers will have no clue as to any of his bonehead calls or of any bad calls from any other manager. The writers don't have the personal bias of the everyday fan.
Check out the sportsline.com weekly power rankings. Dobrow rips on Yost weekly, and I believe is the only manager of the 30 teams to be ripped on weekly. This week was pretty funny:

"Today's incomprehensible Ned Yost batting-order machination, brought to you by Lactaid: Half-assed analysis reveals that he almost always aligns the order by position -- 2B, SS, LF, 1B, RF, 3B, CF, C, P -- regardless of who happens to be playing that day. Somebody ought to tell him that batting orders are as easily customizable as minivans or birthday cakes."

I could see it if the Brewers make the playoffs, especially if they have the 2nd best record in the NL.

Not really sure who deserves it, would probably be best to compare W3 to actual wins or something like that.

Cecil Cooper MOY- 6.6 wins above 3rd order W%!

You could actually make a decent case for Cooper for turning around the Astros when it looked to all the world they had nothing to play for and about to enter a huge downward spiral.

I want to change my pick of LaRussa. The Cards are 26-27 since July 1st. The market did indeed right itself and the Astros are making a play for 3rd. Coop was in danger of losing his job at the All Star break, though the team performance could hardly be blamed on him. Now they are overachievers and gunning towards 3rd. They just might make it.

Archived