Brewer Fanatic

2008 NL Manager of the Year - Yost's Chances

GoudaBrew

I am in no way a huge supporter of Ned Yost, but I've found myself cursing his name less and less the last couple of months. Amazing what winning can do to a guy's attitude.

I seem to remember Ned's name getting tossed around last summer as a top candidate for Manager of the Year before our collapse late in the season. So.....why not this year? As I see it, he only has one other competitor, and that's Piniella. If the Cubs win 100 games or so, I can see Lou getting the award. But if the Brewers finish with 90-95 wins and get the Wild Card, is Ned a shoe-in?

The Cubs were picked by most writers as the NL Central favorites, if not the NL pennant favorites. The Brewers lost some of their "trendy-pickedness" that they had entering 2007 and some writers even picked us to finish behind the Reds!

Does Ned deserve it? I think so. He's kept the team on a pretty even keel the whole season. After a rough start, the Brewers didn't panic and haven't really endured a long rough stretch since.

You don't have an Adam Wainwright. Easily the best gentlemen in all of sports. You don't have the amount of real good old American men like the Cardinals do. Holliday, Wainwright, Skip, Berkman those 4 guys are incredible people

GhostofQuantrill

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LaRussa has done an amazing job, but if you don't make the playoffs I don't think you get this award. It's not like the Cardinals won 65 games last year.

I agree datrain.....the site will indeed implode.

edit: to clarify, I know managers have won with out going to the post season, I just don't see Yost or Lou getting passed up for Larussa

You don't have an Adam Wainwright. Easily the best gentlemen in all of sports. You don't have the amount of real good old American men like the Cardinals do. Holliday, Wainwright, Skip, Berkman those 4 guys are incredible people

GhostofQuantrill

FTJ I have a feeling your head would explode if he won it http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

As much as some hate and absolutely loathe the guy, they are 22 over right now, and still playing good, meaningful ball down the stretch. That's something to be said.

I don't think Ned should win Manger of the Year, but Doug Melvin should win GM of the year if there is such an award, besides CC coming over the vets he added are the difference, Cameron, Kendall, Counsell and Kapler are all huge in the brewers success.

LaRussa drives me crazy but he deserves the award. And while we're at it, they should take the Greatest Pitching Coach Ever Award away from Mazzone and give it to Dave Duncan. It's time this guy gets some credit.

On the other hand, if Manager of the Year goes to the manager who had the most influence on his team's record, then Dusty Baker should be unanimous winner!

I think TLR has done an amazing job -- and Pinella would be a better choice as well.

Both Chicago and St Lois have a higher payroll and a much more playoff tested team than Yost does so why is his job so much less impressive than those two? I know you hate the guy. I hate LaRussa much the same way. That doesn't mean I can't concede LaRussa has done a fine job this year. Honestly I think it's time to admit Yost has as well. You can still hate him like I do TLR so it's not that badhttp://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif.

I do think his management decisions has led to more losses than wins.

You mean like calling a hit and run with the pitcher batting and, surprise of all surprises, getting caught in a double play? Had Ned did that the fire Yost thread would be top of first page for three days afterward and it would have been deserved.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Both Chicago and St Lois have a higher payroll
St. Louis was brutalized with injuries this year and was already left with a talent level lesser than what the Brew Crew had.

I forgot to include TLR there initially since the Cards are always contenders, but given the scraps he's had to work with this year it's remarkable that they're even in it this late and a testament to the ship he runs (better than he drives, at least)

'Ol Nedly will probably finish in the top 3...

LaRussa...probably won't win if the Cards don't make the playoffs. I also don't think he is a great manager (see awesome H + R last night) whose reputation is all that he has going for him.

Gonzalez...Meh. He's leading a team barely over .500 that wasn't supposed to be that terrible to begin with.

J. Manuel...If the Mets make the playoffs...I'd give it to him. Taking over an underachieving team and getting to the postseason (especially with that bullpen) is pretty impressive.

Pinella...the default choice at this point. Probably deserves it, too.

St. Louis was brutalized with injuries this year and was already left with a talent level lesser than what the Brew Crew had

True series he has had a lot of injuries to deal with but he has more than merely scraps to work with despite that. The best overall player in the game, one of the best catchers, great offensive outfielders and a pretty good third baseman and sound defensive players on the entire infield is hardly table scraps. The defense that team has makes that pitching staff a lot better than our defense does for ours.

He has done a fine job with what he has but he has not been given the Dregs of the league. He is not in Pittsburgh or KC. If he had this team above the Brewers at this point yes I would concede he did do a better job than Ned. He hasn't and the talent disparity excuse only goes so far.

LaRussa drives me crazy but he deserves the award. And while we're at it, they should take the Greatest Pitching Coach Ever Award away from Mazzone and give it to Dave Duncan. It's time this guy gets some credit.
Yeah, LaRussa and Duncan did wonders for that bullpen this year...

The Cardinals have overachieved their Pythag projection this year, and they've got a number of players having career years. Neither of which I give much credit to LaRussa for. On the other hand, they never solved their bullpen problems (which the Brewers DID do) and I'm quite reluctant to award the management of the only contending team to make no effort to improve themselves via trade. Like it or not, the award will go to Piniella or Yost.

This board would indeed implode, but it really is two different questions - 1) Does Yost have a chance at the award? The voters are not the bf.net junkies, they are sportswriters...most of which are just starting to pay attention to the Brewers now or post-the CC trade. It's all about who beat the preseason expectations. In that regard, he has a very good chance of winning this if they make the playoffs. 2) Does he deserve it? Personally, I am far too jaded to give valid response, but I do recognize he has done a far better job this year than last regardless of the wins and losses. I'd probably go with LaRussa or Gonzalez.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I think the Brewers have outplayed thier Pythag by a wider margin than STL.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

You mean like calling a hit and run with the pitcher batting and, surprise of all surprises, getting caught in a double play? Had Ned did that the fire Yost thread would be top of first page for three days afterward and it would have been deserved.

Or keeping in a tiring starter for a career high in pitches to face Braun. Predictably he gave up a 2 run homer. So, that's two decisions in one game that would have had the Yost haters out in droves last night.

I think the Brewers have outplayed thier Pythag by a wider margin than STL.
Brewers are four games over Pythag, and Cards are one game better. Brewers might have been better if they didn't score all those extra runs in the 9th last night.http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

Or keeping in a tiring starter for a career high in pitches to face Braun. Predictably he gave up a 2 run homer. So, that's two decisions in one game that would have had the Yost haters out in droves last night.
Yost has done both of these this year, and the haters were out like it was a full moon, and deservedly so.

I don't understand why Lou is getting all this love. The Cubs were expected to be one of the best teams in the NL this year and they are. Why does that make him the Manager of the Year?

Kind of the same reason Bill Belichek was the coach of the year in the NFL last year. Most wins usually gets you the award.

not always, of course. You occasionally get a Manager of the Year to be the skipper of a surprise ballclub that stayed in the hunt to the very end of the season but came up short (Joe Girardi, Marlins), or come in mid-season (Jack McKeon, Marlins). Yes, it's usually the manager from the best team in the league, but not always.

I would go: Manuel (Jerry or Charlie, depending on who wins the east); Pinella; Yost; NL West winner (Torre or Melvin)

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

Yost has done both of these this year, and the haters were out like it was a full moon, and deservedly so

Did Yost really hit and run with the pitcher batting? Don't remember that.

just read the mention of the most undeserved MOY award ever makes me chuckle. Girardi was manager of the year for a losing team basically by ruining young pitchers and he got one of the prime jobs and promptly ends their 15 or so year playoff run. He finally gets a winning record and isn't even remotely in the running for the award he won with a team that ended up 6 games below .500.

Archived