Brewer Fanatic

06/12/06 Brewers (Jackson) @ Reds (Harang) 6:10pm CST

JoeH33

I can't stand this umpire.

Two games in the Dodgers series there were umpires with some serious delay on their calls... but this.. this is ridiculous.

add to that, one of the broadcasters for cincy has a speech impedement,

add to that the annoying commercials on FSN Ohio.

add to that we are hitting balls hard but right at people.

add to that, the Cincy fans cheer loudly over every ball hit within 150 feet of the warning track.

no more sound.. none.

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, Zack Jack's problem #1 has been duly noted -- he has a hell of a time trying to keep the ball in the ballpark.

I hope that's not the game winning run, but considering we have 6 outs left and have been shut down our last 6 outs by Joe Mays, I'm not optimistic.

Quote:
There were no runners on during either of his Ks, so an out is an out in that situation.

Doesn't change the fact that it would be nice to see him at least make contact in there and show that he's not completely lost at the plate.

Well, Zack Jack's problem #1 has been duly noted -- he has a hell of a time trying to keep the ball in the ballpark.

He's pitching against the team with the most HRs in the league, so let's not get too carried away.

Doesn't change the fact that it would be nice to see him at least make contact in there and show that he's not completely lost at the plate.

And I'm simply trying to make the distinction between what fans find entertaining (or not) and what actually is good for a team. It's not the same thing. Jenkins has always struck out a lot and always will.

Quote:
He's pitching against the team with the most HRs in the league, so let's not get too carried away.

Don't get me wrong, I'm pretty encouraged, he's performed decently, ate up a lot of innings both outings, and showed a lot of promise. I mean the guy just turned 23, clearly has no control issues, and at least somewhat held his own against arguably the toughest offense in baseball. Not to mention he wasn't even considered to be Major League ready this year but circumstances being what they were, got thrown into the fire. There's a lot of reason to be excited about him.

Fails to remove a young pitcher after a good inning that would allow him to feel good about himself between starts.

Are we trying to make our young pitchers "feel good" or are we trying to win a ballgame? If Ned thinks he's still doing his thing out there, then let the man pitch.

Quote:
Are we trying to make our young pitchers "feel good" or are we trying to win a ballgame? If Ned thinks he's still doing his thing out there, then let the man pitch.

I don't think he should feel bad anyway. Did anyone really expect him to hold the Reds to 1 run in 7 innings or something like that? Let's face it, the Reds hit with the best of them...I'm impressed that he went 7 innings and kept us in the game. He's a 23 year old kid in his second big league outing.

I'm impressed with Jackson too. He goes right at hitters and isn't a nibbler ala Doug Davis. He actually trusts his "stuff" and will be a good one cause he typically keeps the ball down and pitches to contact. I'm just saying let's forget about the touchy feely "how does the kid feel?" type of stuff and worry about getting him some big league work and trying to put the best man on the mound to get wins. This isn't a AAA team where we're trying to develop talent and take lumps. We're trying to win ballgames and this kid is helping keep us in the game.

Who has less range coming in on balls in centerfield, Ken "my hamstrings are a medical miracle" or Brady "effort can't make me fast" Clark? It's painful to watch them try to run down balls in front of them.

I wish we (meaning Joe Public) had access to detailed play-by-play defensive data... it would be fascinating to look at the charts and crunch the numbers.

~Bill

Archived