Brewer Fanatic

Nelson Cruz: putting up huge numbers; Latest-- Cruz to Japan? Also, Lew Ford still sucks (reply #54ish)

thebadge10
  • Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
True, but because these players previously didn't receive oppurtunities they may have deserved, it suddenly becomes alright to deny Cruz an oppurtunity he's earned?

He earned the opportunity last year with a 1.125 OPS in AAA in 2007, and had a .671 OPS in the majors. Maybe there's someone out there who'll give him the chance, but I don't consider him to be exactly "banging on the door", I guess. He's Lyle Mouton to me. I'd love to be proved wrong, as I was one of those who whined when the Brewers gave him up in the Lee deal.

True, but because these players previously didn't receive oppurtunities they may have deserved, it suddenly becomes alright to deny Cruz an oppurtunity he's earned?

No one is denying him an opportunity. He has had opportunities and not done much with them. He has earned a call up to the majors but he has not earned a starting spot. I think most people would say he can be a 4/5 guy, but not a starter based solely on minor's numbers. That is like saying Brad Nelson has earned a starting spot (now I know his OPS is not nearly as high, but I think his extremely low K rate makes up for some of that). No one is hoping Cruz does not make it, but the truth is even if he did start somewhere next year he would be 29 years old in July already on the downward slope of a career.

• 3 weeks later...

but the truth is even if he did start somewhere next year he would be 29 years old in July already on the downward slope of a career.

when did 29 become on the downward slope of a career? Isn't the average age of rookies something like 26?

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

but the truth is even if he did start somewhere next year he would be 29 years old in July already on the downward slope of a career.

when did 29 become on the downward slope of a career? Isn't the average age of rookies something like 26?

IIRC, most players peak in ages 26-28, so for most of the population, their age 29 year would be at the top of the hill and sliding down.

The average age of a MLB player is 28 so I don't know what the average rookie age is but I would guess it is less than 26. I could be wrong. I did over exaggerate though when I said he would be on the downward slope of his career but he will be older than the average MLB player. He deserves a shot but I just dont get excited by 28 year old career minor leaguers without MLB success, however Ryan Ludwick is showing it is possible

Nelson Cruz just exemplifies the difference between AAA pitching and major league pitching. The guy has holes in his swing that major league pitchers exploit and minor league pitchers don't.

His K rate is down a little this year, and that could indicate some progress that might carry over to the majors. He'll likely get another shot but I don't expect him to be anything more than a fringy corner OF who could start in the right situation but never be a star.

In a world in which 27-year-old Joey Gathright can gobble up over 250 plate appearances and produce a .559 OPS, surely some bad team can give Nelson Cruz a few months to prove himself. And since Mitch Maier, Gathright's replacement in Kansas City, just got hurt (by Zach Jackson), maybe KC should see if he can turn into Raul Ibanez, another marginal player who bloomed there at age 29.

And they should go after for Micah Hoffpauir too. He's never going to get past Derrek Lee, and he's probably better than Ross Gload.

You're welcome, Royals.

Last night isn't exactly his "start." How easy it is to forget his career numbers in 447 ABs.

.235/.285/.396/.681 30 BBs 119 Ks

Bill Hall, is that you? I had to look it up.

Actually, COMPLETE coincidence that ESPN has him projected for 447 AB this year (Ha! Way to go universe!)

and similarly projected for .225/.294/.401/.694 41BB 133K

downright wacky.

Chad Moeller once hit for the cycle. I plan on going to his Hall of Fame induction ceremony.
Tuffy Rhodes hit 3 HR on opening day. 12 total bases > 10 total bases. Therefore, Tuffy Rhodes > Chad Moeller. Therefore, Tuffy Rhodes belongs in a better HOF.

Nelson Cruz was the best player in the Brewers organization when they traded him. That's what Ben Hendrickson's dad told me. Boy, I've sure spent many sleepless nights after that move.
Ben Hendrickson had a 2 hit shutout on July 17th. Therefore, we never should have traded him.

Rob Neyer was just on ESPNews and he said he thought Nelson Cruz was "absolutely" a big leaguer and not a 4A player. He said he thinks he could have 3-4 good years after this one. He thought Cruz wouldn't be quite as good as Ryan Ludwick has been this year but that he'd be a credible major leaguer. Neyer also said he thought Texas waited too long to call him up and wasted his season.

Of course, Neyer is just one guy, but I thought people might be interested in hearing a summary of a national baseball reporter's thoughts.

Why all the hate for Cruz? Last night's game was pretty much Laynce Nix's whole major league career.
I don't think anyone necessarily hates Cruz. It's just he consistently performed as a "AAAA" type player during his tenure with the Brewers, and it didn't seem like a huge loss when he was traded. It seems silly to me to get excited over one big game he had.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Archived