Brewer Fanatic

06/13/06 Brewers (Davis) @ Reds (Arroyo) 6:10pm CST

JoeH33
I agree that he did his job and pitched well (except for his error), but I maintain that he shouldn't have faced the first two men to bat in the inning in the first place. If he'd have been brought in just to face Griffey, I'd have been perfectly fine with it.

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't get the results-focused snark. If you can't articulate a reason for the move to have been made (e.g. Yost should have brought in Shouse in that situation because...), then it doesn't make much sense to launch a few sarcasm grenades toward those who made an argument the other way. Yost could have brought in Winkelsas there and it could have worked out wonderfully, but that doesn't mean it was the correct move when the decision-making process occurred, right?

Anyway, nice job getting out of it by the LOOGY and Dominican Cappy.

~Bill

but I maintain that he shouldn't have faced the first two men to bat in the inning in the first place.

It's kind of a tough call, IMO. While I'd normally agree with you, I could justify having Shouse pitch to Phillips because Brandon is a young, free swinging guy. Paired with Shouse, a veteran with a funky delivery, I don't think it is out of the realm of possibility to think that Phillips might not get good hacks off Shouse, and in fact he didn't. I wouldn't want Shouse facing Hatteberg normally, but with Griffey up third and the young Phillips leading off, I don't think the move was a huge stretch. Kolb may have worked too, but then you're burning through an extra pitcher.

Is it like 98 degrees in Cincy? Yan is sweating like he's in a sauna and he's got a deranged look on his face. Frankly, I'd be pretty intimidated digging in against him. Yikes.

~Bill

That might have been one of the most classic exchanges between Bill and Daron this year:

Bill: "I walk across that bridge everyday for free.... why would anyone pay to do it? Did they put up a toll booth or something?"

Daron: "Apparently when you pay, you get a 22 second firework show. One person has paid."

Heh.

Good point, Toby... I'm sold.

That's the difference between making an argument and just tossing out snark. There's nothing wrong with a little snarkiness now and then, especially in these game threads, but it's nice to hear good, reasoned baseball arguments, too.

--

Yan is seriously a scary dude. Part of it is the way he wears his hat, I think... not sure. But those close-ups of his mug are not for the faint of heart.

~Bill

If Yost would have managed strict L-L/R-R that inning, they may well have used three relievers, not two.

Gotcha. But ideally, Kolb vs. the Righthander Phillips would have resulted better, and they wouldn't have had to bring in the 2nd RHP, as Aurilia never would have had an AB in the 7th.

But ideally, Kolb vs. the Righthander Phillips would have resulted better, and they wouldn't have had to bring in the 2nd RHP, as Aurilia never would have had an AB in the 7th.

I guess my point is that (even with my previous evidence against a Shouse/Hatteberg matchup), if you have 2 lefties coming up out of 3 batters, it makes some sense to me to have a lefty facing all of them, even if the first one happens to be right-handed. If you start matching up arm for arm in the 7th, you're setting yourself up to LaRussa yourself out of a game, even if you do have 8 dudes in the pen.

Archived