Brewer Fanatic

6/14/06 - Brewers (Villanueva) @ Reds (Ramirez) 11:35 am CST

Badger61
  • Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't believe I just lost my entire day to watch that happen.

Ugh.

Oh well, great outing by Villanueva.

"His whole life is a fantasy camp. People should plunk down $2000 to live like him for a week. Sleep, do nothing, fall ass-backwards into money, mooch food off your neighbors and have sex without dating... THAT'S a fantasy camp."

Quote:
That's the difference between a wild-card contender and a team mired in medicroity.

Right, because teams that are in the wild-card never have games where the offense just can't get going. Never mind that our offense is close to tops in the league. This is baseball, seriously. There are 162 games, the offense is not going to score enough runs to win in every game. This is something that happens to every team in baseball.

The only reason we aren't contending for said wild-card, is because we have two of our top 4 pitchers on the DL.

I'm going to stay positive today because we lost basically because of one pitch. I respect going after Dunn right there because he's noted for looking at called third strikes and why not go right at 'em? But this Villanueva kid is very impressive to watch. He's got great composure out there, as Steve Stone pointed out, and he really excels in damage control situations with men on. It only took me one outing to tell Hendrickson didn't have big league stuff to consistently get players out, and it only takes one outing to tell me Villanueva is for real.

Brewers should have won this ballgame. Too many missed opportunities with men on second and third and the inning where Koskie got thrown out at the plate was a heartbreaker that you knew would haunt us the rest of the day. Still a great game to watch, albeit frustrating at times, we really saw a true pitchers dual today.

Quote:
Right, because teams that are in the wild-card never have games where the offense just can't get going. Never mind that our offense is close to tops in the league. This is baseball, seriously. There are 162 games, the offense is not going to score enough runs to win in every game. This is something that happens to every team in baseball.

The only reason we aren't contending for said wild-card, is because we have two of our top 4 pitchers on the DL.

Maybe I was just venting.

But the point is that contending teams take advantages of opportunities like we had today. We got a once in a lifetime performance out of a AA pitcher and our bullpen, and it's not exactly like we had a pitching jaggernaut to face with the Reds, but we couldn't come up with anything. Nada.

A top ranked offense does no good if it is not a consistent offense. If you score 10 runs in a game, and 0 the next, that inconsistency costs you. This is the fifth time already this season that we've been shut out. For a supposed offensive superpower, that's too many times for our offense to just "not show up."

Wasnt there already runners on 1st and 2nd? Wouldnt a walk put a runner on third with less than 2 outs?

My bad. I got confused by 9th, where Yost facing Dunn in but intentionally walked Hatteburg. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

But the point is that contending teams take advantages of opportunities like we had today

Probably more often but it's certainlynot an absolute.

If you score 10 runs in a game, and 0 the next, that inconsistency costs you.

I've been keeping track of the Brewers scoring distribution all year and they haven't really been any more inconsistent than expected. I'll teams do that from time to time.

Inconsistancy comes with having a host of young players. It didn't help having Moeller and Jenkins both scuffling in the lineup today as well. I think Moeller needs to be cut. Rivera needs to show us what he's got. Jenkins should be benched for a few days, and Hart (who has hit very well in his limited at bats this season) should get a couple of starts.

I agree that Moeller is next to useless. I don't expect a ton out of a backup catcher, but enough is enough. He can't swing the bat, and contrary to popular belief, isn't that great of a defensive catcher, either.

Archived