Brewer Fanatic

Dream vs Redeem

paul253

Cnnsi has this article comparing the '92 dream team to this years Redeem team, and discussing who they think would win.

G Magic Johnson G Jason Kidd
G Michael Jordan G Kobe Bryant
G John Stockton G Chris Paul
G Clyde Drexler G Dwyane Wade
G/F Scottie Pippen G Deron Williams
F Larry Bird G Michael Redd
F Charles Barkley F LeBron James
F Karl Malone F Carlos Boozer
F Chris Mullin F Carmelo Anthony
F C. Laettner F Tayshaun Prince
C Patrick Ewing C Dwight Howard
C David Robinson C/F Chris Bosh

The two rosters. Personally i think the Dream team would kill them. Every single one of those players minus Laettner is a hall of famer. They have about as much balance as possible, they would dominate in fundamentals. The fact that they just took basically the 12 best players and put them together, as opposed to this years team would had to add role players because all their best players seem to do the same thing, shows me a lot. The dream teams didnt have many big men, though neither does this years team. I was wondering what everyone thinks....

The dream teams didnt have many big men, though neither does this years team.

This is because of the international style of play. Patrick Ewing is not real useful in the international game.

I don't think there is any question that the redeem team plays tougher competition.

I think in the Olympics it would be a closer game -- I think in an NBA game the dream team is def. the better.

I think the dream team would smash the redeem team. The redeem team did a great job in this Olympics, but the dream team was really one of a kind.
"When a piano falls on Yadier Molina get back to me, four letter." - Me, upon reading a ESPN update referencing the 'injury-plagued Cardinals'

The biggest problem I see with the redeem is that it seems like all their guys seem to me like they are the same player. James, Bryant, Wade, and Anthony all seem like the same type of player to me. Plus they still dont have anyone that can shoot.

Nostalgia is great but I really believe that everyone is completely underestimating how incredible this year's team is. It would have been an incredible game. Im not a D Wade fan but the way that he played in these Olympics was Jordanesque. Bryant isnt as far behind Jordan as people seem to believe. Bird was a season past being the player that he truly was in his prime.

This game would be a war. If they played 10 games, maybe the 92 team would win 6

Larry Bird was on ESPN radio recently talking about this same debate. What he had to say was that the new team has no one who could stop Barkley at his game, that Barkley was really the best player at what he did in the world back in '92. It took a little pushing, but he did admit in the end that the Dream Team was the better team overall.

Jason Kidd is washed up...Stockton would've destroyed him. Dwight Howard is a beast, but I don't think he'd be able to handle Robinson and Ewing in their primes. I think it's hard to compare because the NBA game has evolved a lot since the early 90's, from a jump-shooting league to a drive-the-lane league (ironically, you could probably credit Jordan with that). Since they're from different eras, they play completely different games. If you use today's NBA rules, I think the Redeem Team would likely win, but in International rules, the original Dream Team would probably win.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

It was kind of silly that Kidd got as much PT as he did. They should have let Chris Paul have the team and let him run it. he's the best in the league at getting to a spot on the floor and kicking it, which would have destroyed the zone defenses they faced in the gold medal ground.

Paul is basically a bigger Isiah Thomas so he would have certainly held his own against stockton

Stockton was actually just coming off a broken leg when he played for the Dream Team. Between Paul, Williams and Kidd, I think the new team has an edge at the point. Even if you wanted Magic at the point, he was already retired and hadn't really played in over a year.

The Dream Team would easily handle the redeem team. With Kobe Bryant being the only player on the team who can hit a jumper regularly I don't see how anyone on the redeem team could score against the Dream Team. It would be interesting though to see Kobe and Jordan playing against each other both in their primes.

What about the 96 team though the Dream Team II. That team had Shaq and Olajuwon on the team with Reggie Miller and Gary Payton also on the team. I believe a game between the redeem team and the Dream Team II would be a more even match up.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
One thing that jumps out at me when comparing the '92 and '08 teams is the '92 teams average assists per game (something like 22 assist per game to 12). They were so good at sharing the basketball; everyone knew they could pass up a good shot for a better shot because they'd be the beneficiary of that later in the game. When a team is that talented offensively and that unselfish, they are going to be hard to beat.

Chris

-----

"I guess underrated pitchers with bad goatees are the new market inefficiency." -- SRB

I just created both teams on What If Sports and it came out with the Dream Team winning 6 games of the 10. I used the season's leading up to the olympics for the ranking and for laettner, i had to use the 92-93 version since he was in college the year before

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I just created both teams on What If Sports and it came out with the Dream Team winning 6 games of the 10. I used the season's leading up to the olympics for the ranking and for laettner, i had to use the 92-93 version since he was in college the year before

I never thought of that (thank goodness- I'd never get anything done today!). Do you know if WhatIfSports adds a home court advantage at all to their sims?

Six out of 10 sounded a bit low at first, but I got to thinking about how it would be if you were to play 82-games. Over a full NBA season, that would be 49-33, which considering the competition is pretty darn good.

Chris

-----

"I guess underrated pitchers with bad goatees are the new market inefficiency." -- SRB

I did 5 at home and 5 on the road so i factored that in as well. The splits worked out to 4-1 at home and 2-3 on the road for the Dream Team. The only thing that is a little bit jaded has to be using D Wade's 07-08 season in the sim because what he was in the olympics was not what he was during the regular season

Archived