Brewer Fanatic

PECOTA 50: The best players to build a team around

nate82

From Nate Silver at Baseball Prospectus put these two articles up over at SI. It is an interesting read on who they think are the top 50 players to build a team around. Braun (17) and Prince (35) are the only home grown players on the list and Sabathia comes in at 9th.

Links to the articles 50-26 and the top 25.

David Wright #2? I'd probably take a half-injured Pujols, Grady Sizemore, or Longoria there, but to each their own. Braun and Fielder are about right, but I would've liked to see Hardy get a little love, especially if guys like Erik Bedard are getting honorable mentions.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

Wright's OBP's to start his career: .332, .388, .381, .416, and this year he's at .386. Braun may have more home run power, but Wright also hits a ton of doubles and plays in park that favors pitchers quite a bit. Add in his defense, and Wright seems to be the better player to me.

I love Braun to death, but until he can learn to lay off the junk when pitchers are obviously not giving him anything to hit, I wouldn't put him in the top 10 or 15 of that list. He's right around where he should be, IMO.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

I'm not saying Braun is better than Wright, but I AM saying that I believe Braun to be a marginally better hitter:

Wright career OPS : .912

Braun career OPS : .965

Wright first 2 full season OPS : .912

Braun first 2 season OPS : .965

Obviously this season isn't over yet, so these figures could. As far as stadium, according to ESPN's rankings, Shea plays only .04 runs/game less than MP. Shea is the 23rd best hitters park vs MP being the 18th best hitters park. Sounds pretty negligable to me.

Braun's OPS + first two years are 153 and 138. Wright last three years and this year: 139, 133, 150, 141. So Braun's first year, where he destroyed lefties at an unsustainable level is better, but Wright has consistenly delivered like Braun has hit this year.

Archived