Brewer Fanatic

8/23/08 Non-Brewers IGT

And That

Games of interest, centrally timed, playoff odds in parenthesis:

12:05 - Nationals (0.0%) @ Cubs (98.5%) - O. Perez (5-9, 4.06) vs. R. Dempster (14-5, 2.92)

2:55 - Braves (0.0%) @ Cardinals (16.6%) - J. Campillo (7-6, 3.29) vs. K. Lohse (13-6, 3.94)

2:55 - Dodgers (36.2%) @ Phillies (21.6%) - C. Kershaw (2-3, 3.59) vs. C. Hamels (10-8, 3.22)

6:10 - Astros (0.0%) @ Mets (80.2%) - B. Backe (7-12, 5.62) vs. J. Maine (10-7, 3.82)

7:10 - Marlins (1.9%) @ Diamondbacks (63.5%) - C. Volstad (4-2, 3.02) vs. Y. Petit (2-3, 3.02)

Lets see if the dreaded Jorge Campillo can do any better against the Cards than the vaunted Charlie Morton did.

As fans, it is kind of nice to know whether the Brewers can gain on anyone or will just need to hold serve tonight before the game even starts.

"When a piano falls on Yadier Molina get back to me, four letter." - Me, upon reading a ESPN update referencing the 'injury-plagued Cardinals'

The Cubs have another 4 run lead on a Lee RBI single and an A-Ram 3-run jack. I saw that coming after Odalis Perez walked Soriano to lead off the inning. Fail.
"When a piano falls on Yadier Molina get back to me, four letter." - Me, upon reading a ESPN update referencing the 'injury-plagued Cardinals'

We will see just how easy life is for the Scrubs when they hit the road(and actually have to start playing some real teams) for most of September. The Brewers will get this race tied up at some point. At the end of the day they are still the Cubs.

EXACTLY!! They have several guys that are having career years or better seasons than any they have had recently and they still only have a 4 1/2 game lead on the Crew. That should tell any baseball fan what they need to know about the two teams. It's taking several career years from Cubs players to ONLY have a 41/2 game lead on the more talented Brewers who by the way, have several players that are having worse seasons than they had last year.

Don't forget Mark DeRosa's career high in HR's or Jim Edmonds's Babe Ruthian impression this year.

Leo making good sense on the broadcast here talking about pitch counts. He said it's ridiculous to be upset with Ned Yost for CC's 130 pitch complete game, he said being mad was "complete joke" and there was "absolutely nothing wrong" with keeping him in there for the ninth.

EXACTLY!! They have several guys that are having career years or better seasons than any they have had recently and they still only have a 4 1/2 game lead on the Crew. That should tell any baseball fan what they need to know about the two teams. It's taking several career years from Cubs players to ONLY have a 41/2 game lead on the more talented Brewers who by the way, have several players that are having worse seasons than they had last year.
Considering the Cubs' +170 run differential, I'd say they're the better team overall. Fortunately, the Brewers have been able to win a ton of close games that could have easily gone the other way. If we're going to talk about how the Cubs have so many players playing above their heads, we should also note that guys like Derrek Lee, Aramis Ramirez, and Kosuke Fukudome have been underperforming.

Rain delay in St. Louis with 2 outs in the top of the 9th.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

Felipe Lopez lollygags one of the most routine ground balls to second you'll ever see. The runner beats out the throw to first, loading the bases with two out, and the Braves proceed to score 3. They're up 8-4 on the Cards going to the bottom of the 9th.

Don't forget Mark DeRosa's career high in HR's or Jim Edmonds's Babe Ruthian impression this year.

The D-Backs had a ton of guys that had career years in 2001, too. They rode it to the title. It could very well be the Cubs' year. I'd like to "bite my tongue" when I say that but it appears to be on the true side of things.

That said, the Brewers just need to keep doing their thing, as the Cardinals are, obviously, not going away any time soon. The brief 2-game set next week is huge for either team if they can sweep. A split pretty much eliminates two games off the magic number and that's it.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

Archived