Brewer Fanatic

Make your 09 team.

Hey, I agree Lincecum is the guy I would target, but I don't believe the Giants are letting him go. I just don't believe Fielder will be getting better before he gets worse and he may lose value in the next couple of years. I hear what you're saying in terms of OBP...I was a leadoff hitter, I love OBP. However, I still believe in starting pitching over one hitter in the lineup.

Perhaps there is a better option than Blalock, but I'm not sure there's one the Crew could afford in terms of players dealt or money.

Also, I believe DeWitt's on-base ability ahead of the middle of the order will help. Hopefully Hart's awful September/October was just a wicked slump at the wrong time and his OBP goes back up.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

well i for one hate gwynn and i think it would be ridiculous to even think about him starting next year, or ever for that matter...

the fact that the guy repeated triple a for the third year, and still couldn't post an .ops over .700...he shouldn't be considered for anything

Hey, I agree Lincecum is the guy I would target, but I don't believe the Giants are letting him go. I just don't believe Fielder will be getting better before he gets worse and he may lose value in the next couple of years. I hear what you're saying in terms of OBP...I was a leadoff hitter, I love OBP. However, I still believe in starting pitching over one hitter in the lineup.

Perhaps there is a better option than Blalock, but I'm not sure there's one the Crew could afford in terms of players dealt or money.

Also, I believe DeWitt's on-base ability ahead of the middle of the order will help. Hopefully Hart's awful September/October was just a wicked slump at the wrong time and his OBP goes back up.

Hart's OBP by month. Two good months followed by 2 average months and 2 horrible months. Not really a good year for Hart overall it just wasn't one month that Hart was bad OBP wise.

By Day/Month AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB HBP SO SB CS AVG OBP SLG OPS
April 95 13 28 5 2 1 10 7 3 20 4 0 .295 .358 .421 .779
May 108 13 33 6 1 5 15 6 0 20 5 3 .306 .342 .519 .861
June 102 14 27 9 0 8 24 3 1 14 1 0 .265 .292 .588 .880
July 98 14 26 11 0 2 10 5 0 22 6 1 .265 .301 .439 .740
August 107 19 32 8 2 4 20 3 1 11 6 1 .299 .310 .523 .833
September 98 3 17 5 1 0 10 3 0 21 1 2 .173 .192 .245 .437

Adding Dewitt is another player that is just like Hardy. Not bad but not great either. You are not adding much to the OBP for the team with adding these players. I like Dewitt but the Dodgers are not going to part with him unless you are willing to part with Hardy and that would be extremely over paying for Dewitt.

Nate 82 -

I'm not trying to be argumentative, but I'm a bit puzzled by what you value most. The lineup you posted in the beginning of this thread had Taveras (.331 career OBP) leading off and Hardy (.329 career OBP) hitting 2nd. Plus, Taveras OBP was aided by one good year (OBP of .367) which was in just 97 games. Otherwise, Taveras has had OBPs of .325 - .333 - and .308.

Hardy, meanwhile, other than this season, is in the .320s. Plus, you have an unproven Escobar in the lineup. I don't think that's a ringing endorsement for offense.

Nate 82 -

I'm not trying to be argumentative, but I'm a bit puzzled by what you value most. The lineup you posted in the beginning of this thread had Taveras (.331 career OBP) leading off and Hardy (.329 career OBP) hitting 2nd. Plus, Taveras OBP was aided by one good year (OBP of .367) which was in just 97 games. Otherwise, Taveras has had OBPs of .325 - .333 - and .308.

Hardy, meanwhile, other than this season, is in the .320s. Plus, you have an unproven Escobar in the lineup. I don't think that's a ringing endorsement for offense.

Hardy at the time was hitting 2nd and I didn't see a need to change that and Hart was hitting good enough to be a #5 hitter. Taveras to be honest I just want him for his base stealing not his OBP and at the time I posted it he would have been the only player I could think of who would be available at the time. Escobar would be replacing Counsell/Hall in the lineup which I believe Escobar could easily replace offensively and defensively. Plus Escobar is batting lower in the lineup.

I don't like Hart batting leadoff I would rather have Weeks leading off than having Hart lead off. I wouldn't mind trading Hart for DeJesus though and having him take over at the top of the lineup.

1. DeJesus CF

2. Polanco 2B

3. Braun LF

4. Fielder 1B

5. Hardy 3B

6. Gamel RF

7. Escobar SS

8. Kendall C

This lineup here would get you more wins and adds a lot of OBP to the team. There are better players than Blalock out there Blalock has just been a popular player around here for awhile and would be an ideal player to platoon with Hall but other than that I wouldn't want to see Blalock playing everyday. Not only does Blalock hurt you OBP wise but he also hurts in the OPS. The last time Blalock had a good year OPS wise in a full year was in 2003 and 2004. His OPS hasn't been that good after those years. I just don't see Blalock as anything more than a platoon player. Getting rid of Fielder and having Blalock replacing him is not a good idea.

DeJesus would be great, but it seems his name has been "out there" for a while and still no one has acquired him which seems odd.

I won't argue that the lineup on its own is better. However, without seeing your pitching staff, it's difficult to determine which team would be better. Good pitching still beats good hitting. Pitching still wins titles.

Pitching staff based on that lineup would be:

1. Sabathia

2. Gallardo

3. Parra

4. Bush

5. Suppan

Bullpen

Villanueva

McClung

Stetter

Shouse

Riske

Torres

Gagne/Mota (Whoever is cheaper and isn't a type B free agent) otherwise DiFelice, Dillard, or Coffey.

Even though he is probably going to be a type B free agent, I'm pretty sure that the Brewers won't offer Gagne arbitration because he would probably accept. Also, Shouse is likely to be a type B free agent, I'd like to see the Brewers re-sign him.

HOF4canrake, I'm not sure that the Royals have ever really had Dejesus "out there", I think a lot of people are just guessing that he is available because he plays for the Royals and is a good player.

HOF4canrake, I'm not sure that the Royals have ever really had Dejesus "out there", I think a lot of people are just guessing that he is available because he plays for the Royals and is a good player.
The Royals are interested in Francouer and DeJesus has been mentioned in a lot of trade rumors. I believe he is available it is just that the Royals haven't gotten any serious offers.

Backwards logic, Nate82.

We're starting to hear Fielder's name more in the trade rumors but that doesn't mean the Brewers are interested in moving him at all. Other teams' inquiries about players, such as the ones the Brewers were getting for the past several years about Braun, Hart, Hardy, Weeks, Fielder, Sheets, etc., were plentiful but didn't mean those guys were the least bit available.

We're reading Lincecum's name all over speculative trade rumor threads but he may well win the Cy Young and I'm sure the Giants see him as a long-time staff ace, which means he's not going anywhere no matter how much other teams might justifiably covet him.

Before I list my 2009 lineup, it hinges on one major thing:

The 2009 AAA lineup will probably have: Gamel, Escobar, Salome, Gillespie, Aguilar, Iribarren (and move him back to 2B for chrissakes), Pena, maybe Errecart, Wright, Welch.

(And the AA lineup will probably have Jeffress, Lucroy, Green, Cain, Periad, Hand, Rivas, maybe Fryer, Cody, Bramhall, maybe Gindl, maybe Wilson.)

Therefore I am not bringing in many players with long-term contracts. There's a lot of talent knocking on the door. Keep the veterans one more year, let their contracts expire after 2009. Don't bring in any vets for more than a one-year deal.

I also don't see many shakeups to a team that made the playoffs. That being said, the only players on the ML roster I would consider untouchable are Gallardo, Braun, and Parra. Anyone else can be had... but the price would have to be right. I don't trade anyone this offseason just for the sake of making changes.

One big off-season trade - Weeks, Nelson, and another prospect for Roberts. Before you laugh at that, Baltimore's starting 1B last year was Kevin Millar (and his .717 OPS). Nelson has value to them. I'd throw in a second prospect if needed, because Roberts will probably be a type-A and net good comp picks if he leaves.

One of CC or Sheets will be back. I'm just not sure whom.

1) Roberts (L) - 2B

2) Hardy ® - SS

3) Braun ® - 3B

4) Fielder (L) - 1B

5) Hart ® - RF

6) Branyan/Hall platoon - 3B

7) Cameron ® - CF

8) Kendall ® - C

SP - one of CC/Sheets

SP - Gallardo

SP - Bush

SP - Parra

SP - Suppan

Bullpen - Torres, Riske, McClung, Villanueva, Stetter, DiFelice, Dillard

Bench - Rivera ©, non-starter of Branyan/Hall, Counsell (yes, it will happen), Kapler, Weeks (relax, he's the 5th OF)

Long shot/shocker: Suppan and Hart to NYY for Abreu, cash, and prospect (one of Sheets or CC needs to be back for this to happen)

Long shot/shocker II: Because of Kapler's versatility, they keep only 4 OFs and Rottino makes the squad as the 25th man.

One big off-season trade - Weeks, Nelson, and another prospect for Roberts. Before you laugh at that, Baltimore's starting 1B last year was Kevin Millar (and his .717 OPS). Nelson has value to them. I'd throw in a second prospect if needed, because Roberts will probably be a type-A and net good comp picks if he leaves.

Bench - Rivera ©, non-starter of Branyan/Hall, Counsell (yes, it will happen), Kapler, Weeks (relax, he's the 5th OF)

I like it, but Weeks must have a clone as he is in the Baltimore trade AND the 5th of on the bench. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

I would really like to get Roberts and have the ability to sign CC. Sheets can go w/out an offer being tendered.

@BrewCrewCritic on Twitter "Racing Sausages" - "Huh?"

Long shot/shocker: Suppan and Hart to NYY for Abreu, cash, and prospect (one of Sheets or CC needs to be back for this to happen)

Long shot/shocker II: Because of Kapler's versatility, they keep only 4 OFs and Rottino makes the squad as the 25th man.

The Yankees would have to pick up Abreu's option for him to be traded. I don't believe the Yankees will pick up his option though I believe they will part ways with Abreu and Giambi this off season. I wouldn't mind trading Prince to the Yankees for Cano, Hughes, and a prospect though. Then flipping Cano to the Dodgers for Kemp.

A out field of Kemp, Braun, and Hart would be a rather interesting OF. The only thing that would suck is that we would be losing our best OBP player in that deal. Trading away Weeks and Gillespie to the Mariners for Lopez and Washburn. Finally trading Suppan to Texas for Millwood one bad contract for another. I doubt the Suppan deal would work out though. Hughes would start out the year in AAA.

2009 Lineup

1. Hart RF

2. Lopez 2B

3. Kemp CF

4. Braun LF

5. Hardy SS

6. Hall/Branyan 3B

7. Nelson 1B

8. Kendall/Rivera C

Bench: Rivera C, Branyan/Hall, Durham, Kapler, Iribarren

Rotation

1. Sheets/Sabathia

2. Gallardo

3. Parra

4. Millwood/Bush

5. Bush/Suppan

Bullpen

Torres, McClung, Villanueva, Stetter, Difelice, Riske, Shouse

If the Dodgers have done this well with a Manny, Kemp, Eithier outfield, I don't see them dealing any outfielder. I would trade just about anyone outside of Braun and Yovanni for them.

We have to be realistic here. I will say that Yo replaces Sheets in the rotation. I just don't see us giving CC that kind of money.

1. Trade Weeks and Gwynn to Baltimore for Brian Roberts.

2. Trade Hall to SF for a reliever or minor leaguer

3. Move Hardy to 3B, Escobar to SS

4. Sign Raul Ibanez to a one or two year deal

5. Do not sign Cameron, Gagne, Shouse, or Sheets

6. Sign a Derek Lowe type pitcher. Not sure who all is available.

2B Roberts

3B Hardy

RF Braun

1B Prince

CF Hart

LF Ibanez

C Kendall

SS Escobar

Pitcher

Rivera, Nelson, FA utility (Felipe Lopez), Branyan, and a backup centerfielder

Lowe, Yo, Parra, Bush, Suppan

McClung (cl), Torres, Stetter, Villanueva, Riske, Coffey, and Dillard

Escobar and Gamel will be in AAA. If Hardy signs a long term deal and agrees to move to 3B, Gamel is shifted to 1B. If he doesn't, he'll try to stick at 3B

While resigning CC would be exciting, I just don't think it'll be done, and that might be a blessing in disguise.

Sign Hardy ~4yrs/$34M, perhaps with a team option. This would be if he's also agreeable to move to 3B after 2009.

Sign Bush ~3yrs/$21M, perhaps with a team option. Buys out a year of FA and would seem to be good value for the Brewers.

Trade Brad Nelson and Tim Dillard to the Rangers for Hank Blalock. I'm just throwing Nelson & Dillard out there. Value-wise, I think they'd get it done. Not really sure who the Rangers would be interested in.

3-team deal: Brewers get Kelly Johnson & David Dejesus, Braves get: Weeks & Hart, Royals get: Francoeur. IMO, Hart>DeJesus/Francouer & Weeks

Sign either Penney or Randy Johnson to a 1 year deal (if they're healthy). They'd provide SP depth while shifting McClung to the pen (even though he seems to be a better option than Suppan in the rotation).

DeJesus, Johnson, Braun, Fielder, Hardy, Blalock/Hall, Cameron, Kendall

Bench: Hall, Counsell, Kapler, Rivera, & 5th OF.

Rotation: Gallardo, Parra, Bush, Suppan, Johnson/Penney

Bullpen: McClung, Stetter, Shouse, Coffey, Riske, Villanueva, & Torres

After 2009 shop Fielder for best package available. If Hardy doesn't sign, shop him as well.

It's not as exciting as many proposals, but it would improve the offense and the defense by quite a bit. The rotation should be solid, yet unspectacular. If Penney is healthy, the rotation would be on par with what the Brewers had coming into this season. Johnson would be a great 5th SP if he was the option. IIRC, neither Johnson or Penney would cost the Brewers draft picks. Jeffress could get a call up if deserved and needed.

Again, it's not all that flashy, but I think it sets up the future very well while maintaining a very competitive team.

If the Brewers deal Fielder for a pitcher, is Aubrey Huff A) Somewhat easily attainable from the Orioles and B) Worth bringing on as a one-year stopgap at 1B? This would be assuming Gamel switches over to 1st base for the 2010 season.

Huff has had some good years, including 2008, and his career splits versus lefties aren't as bad as Blalock's.

Aubrey Huff is not a very good 3b, is better suited as a DH, and will probably cost a lot to acquire, I don't think that the Brewers will be looking to make our infield D even worse. I'd rather see the Brewers acquire somebody who will provide good defense and can hit a little bit like Beltre, Kouzmanoff or Rolen.

LouisEly, Gamel has never played in the outfield, so I think it might be a bit of a stretch to pencil him in as the starting rightfielder in his rookie season.

LouisEly, Gamel has never played in the outfield, so I think it might be a bit of a stretch to pencil him in as the starting rightfielder in his rookie season.

Huh? Where did I say that? My post clearly says he will be in AAA next year, and not at any specific position.

I did mess up and meant to say TGJ as the 5th OF and not Weeks.

If the Yankees indeed end up not picking up Abreu's option, he might be someone to explore. A nice LH OBP guy with some pop; I have to wonder where his defense is at his age though. That would free up trading Hart in a package for a good starting pitcher in case they lose both CC and Sheets. Speaking of Sheets, no harm there in offering him a one year tender of $11M. If they lose him they get picks, if he stays then little risk for a one year deal if he gets hurt.

Two guarantees:

1) Raul Ibanez and Derek Lowe will be offered multi-year deals by someone. Any thought of them coming here for a one year deal ain't gonna happen.

2) Gamel and Escobar start 2009 in AAA. They may not finish 2009 there, but they will start there.

I'm seeing way too many posts where Hall is penciled in as a starter or platooned 3rd baseman. Even with his higher avg vs lefties his defense kills us. Also we saw many times this year that once the starter is pulled we're either stuck with Hall flailing against a righty or we're forced to use a pinch hitter earlier in the game than we would like. Let's take our lumps with Billy's remaining two years, eat whatever $$ we have to and get someone in that can at least play defense. If Escobar is ready then I'm confident JJ could play 3rd. It may be a more natural spot for him considering his range is limited but he does a good job coming in on balls in front of him.

My team for 09 would look like this unlikely but who cares.

C: Jason Kendall

1B: Matt Gamel

2B: Orlando Hudson 4/45

3B: Adrian Beltre for Weeks/Hall??

SS: Alcides Escobar

LF: Ryan Braun

CF: Mike Cameron

RF: Corey Hart

Bench: Counsell, Kapler, Rivera,Nelson,

SP: Yovani Gallardo

SP: Manny Parra

SP: Justin Verlander for Hardy/prospect

SP: Matt Cain for Prince Fielder

SP: Jeff Suppan

Closer: K-Rod 5/90

Bullpen: Villy, McClung, Riske, Stetter, Torres, Bush, Coffey

I think we would have a great pitching staff that is young and could carry us for awhile with a proven stopper at the end of the game. Our defense would be upgraded immensely at every position while only have to worry about what Gamel can do and they could always get a stop gap for one year while giving Gamel time at AAA.

I'll play too!

RF-David DeJesus

2B-Weeks

LF-Braun

1B-Fielder

SS-Hardy

3B-Teahen/Hall

CF-Cameron

C-Kendall/Rivera

Bench: Branyan, Lamb, Kapler

Rotation:

Yo