Brewer Fanatic

Make your 09 team.

I like the idea of Villanueva as the closer, even if his pure stuff doesn't make him a prototypical stopper. Before the Brewers signed Gagne last offseason, he was my choice to fill the role internally last offseason. I'm not sure who will be available this offseason, as the market for KRod and Fuentes is likely to get pretty crazy, and from what I've read, there's still a chance those two end up with the Angels and Rockies respectively.

Although part of me would also like to see Villanueva return to the starting rotation. I also agree that Stetter needs to be on next year's team to give the club two LHPs out of the bullpen. I do prefer McClung as a swing-man that can go either long or short, as he seemed to excel in an expanded, more versatile role.

For the lineup, I think more and more people are growing on the idea of trying to acquire Adrian Beltre. I would really love to get a more consistent, high-OBP bat in the lineup, and to me the best way to do so is to target someone like Bobby Abreu for RF, even if his defense has declined (reportedly), as I'm guessing Ibanez is going to get way too much money for his age (not that Abreu is a spring chicken, but it would seem as though his market value will be less). That of course makes Corey Hart expendable, unless you decline Cameron's option and move Hart to CF, which isn't ideal since I really liked the addition of Cameron, especially defensively.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hardy is the kind of player that you want to surround stars with. Great defense, good power, good on base skills with a great attitude. He is part of what is right with this team and we need more players of his mold. That being said, I understand why he may be traded.

I would love to see the Brewers give him a shot at 3B. He has a terrific arm, reliable glove and his power, although already adequate for a 3B, could further improve as he adds pounds over time. He could be our answer at 3B for years to come. Let Gamel play RF in AAA next year and begin getting Green settled in at 2B and bam!! Third Base WOAH SOLVDD!!

Also, when looking at things from a long-term perspective ..trading Hardy may save money and clear room for Escobar but the sooner this happens, the sooner Alcides' clock starts ticking ..and the sooner we will probably have to trade him as well.

I like Mike Cameron but I feel if we put the money he would recieve around 10 million $ for Edgar Renteria the money would be better. We could move Hardy to 3rd which would give us a good left side, and clear an easy path for Escobar in 2010. I know Renteria had a bad yr but hes only two years removed from a .391 obp.

1. Edgar Renteria SS

2. Mat Gamel RF/LF

3.Ryan Braun RF/LF

4.Prince Fielder 1B

5. JJ Hardy SS

6. Hart CF(needs to bounce back)

7. Rickie Weeks 2B

8. Jason Kendall C

9. P

Bench

1. Mark Loretta (Sign as free agent let him compete with Weeks)

2. Gabe Kapler

3. Mike Rivera

4. Bill Hall

5. Brad Nelson

Rotation:

1.Sign Dereck Lowe as top priority Sheets as a #2 option if he doesnt like Milwuakee

2. Yovanni Gallardo

3. Manny Parra

4. Jeff Suppan

5. Seth McClung

Bullpen

1. Torres cp

2. Jeremy Jeffress has the stuff to help in the big leagues in a "Joba" type role (I know he wont be Joba though)

3. Mitch Stetter

4. Brian Shouse

5. David Riske

6. Luis Pena

7. Anthony Slama (Twins RP prospect if we still have Taylor Green trade him for Slama and Rob Delaney of the Twins.)

Trade Dave Bush for a prospect!

Sorry, I did that in a hurry, send Slama to be the AAA closer and let Jeffress progress in AA/AAA(hopefully end of the year) as a starter. Let Carlos be the set-up man and re-sign Gagne to a 1yr 5million $ contract.

I'm going to resign CC, so my lineup will be cheap...Bench will consist of vets including Mark Loretta....I know this won't happen...but I actually believe Gamel and Green could be excellent OBP guys in a couple years, so let's accelerate it.

1- 2B Taylor Green

2- 3B JJ Hardy

3- LF Ryan Braun

4- 1B Prince Fielder

5- CF Corey Hart

6- RF Mat Gamel

7- SS-Alcides Escobar

8- C Kendall

9- CC/Gallardo/Parra/Bush/McClung

If I'm not mistaken, the Brewers have a club option on Cameron for '09, I would decline that and let Tony Gwynn play in center. Re-sign CC 6 years $120 million. Let Sheets go. Promote Escobar and let Gamel start the year in AAA. Move Hardy to 3rd. If anyone struggles to start the season, promote Gamel in the same way Braun was promoted in '07. Let Weeks have one more year to prove himself, but don't let him leadoff. Re-sign Durham as insurance for Weeks. I think McClung could be an ideal closer (high 90's fastball, good movement on breaking pitches).Roster goes as follows...

CF-Gwynn

SS-Escobar

LF-Braun

1B-Fielder

3B-Hardy

RF-Hart

2B-Weeks

C-Kendall

Bench

Kapler

Nelson

Hall

Dillon

Durham

Starters

CC, Gallardo, Parra, Bush, Suppan

Bullpen

Shouse, Stetter, Coffey, Torres, Villanueva, Riske, McClung

Trade J.J. Hardy + Rickie Weeks for Melvin Mora + Jeremy Guthrie + prospect

Sign Orlando Hudson

2B - Orlando Hudson

RF - Corey Hart

LF - Ryan Braun

1B - Prince Fielder

3B - Melvin Mora

CF - Mike Cameron

C - Jason Kendall

SP - Yovani Gallardo

SP - Jeremy Guthrie

SP - Dave Bush

SP - Manny Parra

SP - Jeff Suppan

somehow work out a trade with kansas city to acquire david dejesus and mark teahen...i know teahen had a bad year, but the two years before that he had .obp above .350...i would move him back to third:

cf dejesus

ss hardy

lf braun

1b fielder

rf hart

3b teahen

2b weeks

c kendall/rivera

I just dont see resigning CC realistic so I would kick the tires of the free agent market. I wouldnt want a long term deal to anyone so if we could get a 1 year incentive deal on someone like Freddy Garcia, Mike Hampton, Carl Pavano or a Matt Clement I would look into that. If Curt Schilling or Randy Johnson wants to play another year then I would look into that option as well. If we cant get a 1 year deal with one of them I say we just go after Jared Washburn and ride out his 1 year deal until Jeremy Jeffress is ready in 2010. I wouldnt bring back Mota or Gagne but Shouse on the otherhand I would bring back unless he reached type B status and then I would just let him walk and take the comp pick.

On offense I bring everyone back besides Bill Hall. Hopefully we can beg JJ Hardy for the good of the team to move to 3rd base and ship off Bill Hall for whatever relief help he can bring in return. If Hardy will move then we should bring up Alcides Escobar and give Rickie Weeks another chance to redeem himself. He played good down the stretch and I still believe in him! I say bring back Counsell for a utility IFer and Mike Cameron solely for the purpose of getting a comp pick after the 2009 season. If Gabe Kapler wants to return in the same role as he was in last year then I would welcome him back as a 4th or 5th outfielder.

SP Gallardo

SP Bush

SP Garcia / Hampton / Clement / Pavano / Johnson / Schilling / Washburn

SP Parra

SP Suppan

RP Torres

RP Riske

RP Villanueva

RP Stetter

RP McClung

RP Whoever we get in return for Hall

RP Shouse unless he reaches type B status then I say give the job to Defilice or Dillard

C Kendall

1B Fielder

2B Weeks

SS Escobar

3B Hardy

LF Braun

CF Cameron

RF Hart

Bench

Rivera

Nelson

Counsell

Gwynn

Kapler

@WiscoSportsNut

Gwynn, Kendall, and Escobar can not be in the same line-up. You can only have so many medium range obp. guys with no power in a line-up. I dont think either should be our starting cf next yr, but Brantley if he is still with the organization would be much more staticially justifi led for starting in CF then Gwynn.

If you have Braun, Fielder, Hart, Hardy, and some addition at 2B/3B then you might have five guys with 25+ home runs. I see no reason why we can't go with Gwynn, Kendall, Escobar in that scenario. That said, I know people hate Gwynn and would rather spend eight figures on someone else rather than give him a shot for a year.

I do not hate Gwynn , billyhallfan will tell you I am actually one of his few supporters. He could be an average cf , but I just do not see it in Milwaukee. I just do not see how you can rationalize Gwynn replacing Weeks as the lead-off hitter when all Gwynn has is less power and maybe marginally more speed. I am not advocating Weeks as the lead-off hitter in fact Id like to see him hit 7th, but if you have problems with Weeks as the lead-off hitter, then there is no way you can advocate Gwynn for replacing him. There is no stats right now that you can use to support this theory, because with Gwynn people see the name on the back of the jersey quite often, instead of figuring out is he actually the best solution for the name on the front of the jersey. In this case 5 guys can not be asked to produce runs, thats way to much pressure that is not only unwarranted but just plain dumb. In the playoffs a lack ofproduction from our 6,7,8 really hurt us and if we let these 3 guys play I see the same thing happening next yr.

Guys that I would like to see play Gwynn, Gibbons, Escobar, Gamel, Kapler

Guys would like to see go Cameron, Hall, Gagne , Suppan, Mota ( that should be enough to sign CC). Cameron and Gagne is close to enough.

I like Hall but .225 average. not sure Unless had down year bexause he was moved again. He plays pretty good defense.

If Fielder is traded for some reason he is going to want alot of money. Would have to choose between him and CC.

Escobar /Weeks 2b

Hardy SS

Kapler cf

Braun Lf

Gibbons 1b

Hart RF

Gamel /Hall possible 3b Not sure Gamel is ready.

Kendall C

pitcher

bench

Gywnn

Branyan

Nelson,Counsel, Maybe could sign Loretta to

Pitcher

CC

Yavonii

Para

Cain

Bush or Free agent or a pitcher from a trade ? I like Villi but he seems better out of pen.

I see no reason why we can't go with Gwynn, Kendall, Escobar in that scenario. That said, I know people hate Gwynn and would rather spend eight figures on someone else rather than give him a shot for a year.

Gwynn had a 328 OBA in AAA, as a league repeater. What has he done to earn a shot? Weeks outhit hit Gwynn, and Weeks did it in the majors. Gwynn should be traded or released this offseason. I would guess he's overvalued by some teams just because of his name, just like he is here. Mel Stocker is just as good as Gwynn, but nobody mentions him for starting duty. He should change his name to Mel Gwynn.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

1) Hart RF

2) Dewitt 3B (Acquired from Dodgers via trade)

3) Braun LF

4) Blalock 1B (Acquired from Rangers via trade)

5) Hardy SS

6) Weeks 2B

7) Cameron CF

8) Kendall C

Bench options

Branyan

Counsell

Kapler

Dillon

Nelson

Durham (doubtful)

Rivera

Rotation

Sabathia

Gallardo

Cain (Acquired from Giants via trade)

Parra

Bush

Bullpen

Torres

Riske

Stetter

Shouse

Villanueva

McClung

Beimel (free agent)

Traded - Fielder, Hall, Suppan, Gwynn, Brewer (SS), Scarpetta (SP), Dillard (P), Rivas (SP)

Not re-signed - Mota, Gagne, Sheets

1) Hart RF

2) Dewitt 3B (Acquired from Dodgers via trade)

3) Braun LF

4) Blalock 1B (Acquired from Rangers via trade)

5) Hardy SS

6) Weeks 2B

7) Cameron CF

8) Kendall C

Defensively you got a little bit better but OBP wise you just lost your best OBP guy and you replaced with a guy who hasn't even come close to what Prince has done OBP wise in his whole career. Blalock is a platoon player at best I wouldn't want to see Blalock in the lineup everyday at all.

I don't see the Dodgers trading away Dewitt and trading Prince for Cain is over paying for Cain if that is what you are suggesting. I don't see this lineup getting more than 70 wins. Even with Sabathia and Cain in the rotation.

I will do what I want to happen first (minus CC and Sheets) then I will do what I think will happen:

Trade Corey Hart, Rickie Weeks, and Dave Bush to the Yankees for Robinson Cano and Phil Hughes.

Trade Bill Hall and Luis Pena for Reggie Willits

Trade prospects to Colorado for Garrett Atkins.

C- Jason Kendall

1B- Prince Fielder

2B- Robinson Cano

3B- Garrett Atkins

SS- JJ Hardy

LF- Mat Gamel

CF- Reggie Willits

RF- Ryan Braun

Bench- Mike Rivera

Bench- Jay Gibbons

Bench- Brad Nelson

Bench- Gabe Kapler

Bench- Tony Gwynn

SP- Yovani Gallardo

SP- Phil Hughes

SP- Manny Parra

SP- Seth McClung

SP- Jeff Suppan

RP- Todd Coffey

RP- Carlos Villanueva

RP- Mitch Stetter

RP- David Riske

RP- Rafael Soriano

RP- Eric Gagne

RP- Salomon Torres

What I think will happen?

Bill Hall to the Tigers for Placido Polanco.

Sign Rafael Soriano

C- Jason Kendall

1B- Prince Fielder

2B- Placido Polanco

SS- JJ Hardy

3B- Mat Gamel

LF- Ryan Braun

CF- Mike Cameron

RF- Corey Hart

Bench- Gabe Kapler

Bench- Rickie Weeks

Bench- Brad Nelson

Bench- Mike Rivera

Bench- Jay Gibbons

SP- Yovani Gallardo

SP- Manny Parra

SP- Dave Bush

SP- Jeff Suppan

SP- Seth McClung

RP- Todd Coffey

RP- Carlos Villanueva

RP- Mitch Stetter

RP- David Riske

RP- Rafael Soriano

RP- Eric Gagne

RP- Salomon Torres

What I think will happen?

Bill Hall to the Tigers for Placido Polanco.

Sign Rafael Soriano

C- Jason Kendall

1B- Prince Fielder

2B- Placido Polanco

SS- JJ Hardy

3B- Mat Gamel

LF- Ryan Braun

CF- Mike Cameron

RF- Corey Hart

Bench- Gabe Kapler

Bench- Rickie Weeks

Bench- Brad Nelson

Bench- Mike Rivera

Bench- Jay Gibbons

SP- Yovani Gallardo

SP- Manny Parra

SP- Dave Bush

SP- Jeff Suppan

SP- Seth McClung

RP- Todd Coffey

RP- Carlos Villanueva

RP- Mitch Stetter

RP- David Riske

RP- Rafael Soriano

RP- Eric Gagne

RP- Salomon Torres

I like Polanco but I believe the Tigers are looking to cut what they are spending on players not add salary. Polanco is only going to be making $4.6 million next year. I believe the Tigers would rather have Weeks than Hall if they are trading Polanco.

Nate 82, you truly believe that Fielder + Suppan is 20 wins better than Blalock + Sabathia + Cain?
Yes. Fielder gives you more positive in the offense than Blalock does. You are replacing your best OBP player with another weak OBP player. I don't trust Blalock staying healthy for more than half of the year. The hole that is created by moving Fielder is worse than the hole you are filling with Cain. Actually Suppan is a good 4 or 5 pitcher a highly over paid one but a good 4 or 5 pitcher in the rotation.

I really don't see how the team would improve with removing Fielder with the best OBP on the team with another low OBP player. We don't need more of these players we actually need more Fielders in regard to OBP than we need of Braun (low OBP) players. Adding Blalock and removing Fielder is not a good idea. You just dug a bigger hole to fill a smaller hole.

Blalock is actually closer to Hardy in terms of career OBP than he is from Fielder. The offense that you are losing here is more than what you are gaining in pitching. If you are going to trade Fielder it better be for Lincecum, Kershaw, or Billingsley type of pitchers not a Cain type of a pitcher. If you are trading Fielder away it better be for a future ace or a number one type of guy in your rotation. Not for a number 2 or a number 3 pitcher.

Archived