Brewer Fanatic

Make your 09 team.

I know I hate to rush this.. With September coming up its way early to be talking about this but I have an idea for the 09 Brewers.

Heres my lineup.

1. Roberts-2B

2. Hardy- 3B*

3. Hart- CF*

4. Braun- RF*

5. Gamel- 1B

6. Escobar- SS

7. Weeks- LF*

8. Kendall- C

Anyone see a chance of this happening? It would be a VERY cheap lineup and would produce runs along with more speed.

Not to mention how much it would free up for the Rotation.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The difference offensively between Escobar/Gamel and Fielder/Cameron would be pretty huge, and probably not offset by adding Roberts to the mix. Also, Hart has been pretty mediocre in right, and probably wouldn't be a good CF for the entire season at all.

rickie's offense barely stacks up at 2b, a postion manned by some of the weakest bats in the bigs. you want to put him in left where most of the big sluggers patrol? i guess he could tun out to be carlos lee with footspeed, minus above average hitting ability.

1. Taveras CF

2. Hardy 3B

3. Braun LF

4. Fielder 1B

5. Hart RF

6. Weeks 2B

7. Escobar SS

8. Kendall C

Taveras could be had right now if the Brewers could work out a trade for him. I'm not sure what Colorado would want for him though he does have 60 SB this year though. This would also help in determine if Weeks problem is because he is trying to be a lead off hitter which he never was put into that spot until he was with the Brewers.

I know I hate to rush this.. With September coming up its way early to be talking about this but I have an idea for the 09 Brewers.

Heres my lineup.

1. Roberts-2B

2. Hardy- 3B*

3. Hart- CF*

4. Braun- RF*

5. Gamel- 1B

6. Escobar- SS

7. Weeks- LF*

8. Kendall- C

Anyone see a chance of this happening? It would be a VERY cheap lineup and would produce runs along with more speed.

Not to mention how much it would free up for the Rotation.

So you'd have half of the lineup learning new regular positions. And I'd rather have Esco and Gamel earn their way up. Spend time in AAA and show that they can't do anything else in the minors. I'd say:

C- Kendall

1B- Prince

2B- Anyone other than Weeks

SS- Hardy

3B- Hall/Branyan

LF- Braun

CF- Cameron

RF- Hart

C - Kendall

1B - Fielder

2B - Weeks

3B - Blalock/Hall platoon

SS - Hardy

LF - Braun

CF - Cameron

RF - Hart

If so much of the money coming off the books wasn't going towards the rotation and bullpen, I wouldn't mind seeing the Brewers make a run at Orlando Hudson at second base, but then you'd have to figure out what to do with Weeks.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

C-Kendall

1B-The Regal One

2B-Weeks

SS-Escobar (if we can trade a package revolving around Hardy for Cain/Greinke)

3B-Hall/Branyan platoon

LF-Braun

CF-Cameron

RF-Hart

The question becomes, is Cameron worth his salary? His defense has been a revelation, and if he continues to produce, he may elicit some picks, though we would also run the risk of him accepting and having to pay him a comparable salary to his $10mil.

The question becomes, is Cameron worth his salary? His defense has been a revelation, and if he continues to produce, he may elicit some picks, though we would also run the risk of him accepting and having to pay him a comparable salary to his $10mil.

It sounds like you are talking about Cameron being arb eligible. The Brewers have a club option, either they pick it up or they don't and he becomes a FA.

Blalock has certainly had some good years, but he's had some stinkers too. He might be good if the price is right, but I would think the Brewers have a greater need in shoring up the pitching staff, whether that is a SP or a couple of RP. I would keep Weeks one more year, but I would have a utility player that wouldn't kill the team if Weeks has one of his DL trips.

C-Kendall

1B-Prince

2B-Weeks

ss-Hardy

3B-Kevin Kouzmanoff (if available)

LF-Braun

CF-Cameron

RF-Hart

I think Kouzmanoff will be available this off season, he bats right handed, but hits righties better than lefties. His defense has improved tremendously since last season, the question is how much would it take to get him?

It sounds like you are talking about Cameron being arb eligible. The Brewers have a club option, either they pick it up or they don't and he becomes a FA.
I knew we have an option on Cameron for $10mil, but I was speaking of the year after, when he would be coming "hopefully" off of a good season. Honestly, I don't know if spending $10mil on Cameron would be the best use of the funds, but considering the lack of options behind him, I would be down with it. The question ultimately becomes, would you offer him arbitration the following year, when he would be old but could probably still entice some club into offering him a contract, substantially lower than his $10mil salary would be next year (and hence, the reluctance to offer arby AFTER next year). Sorry for my ambiguity.

but I was speaking of the year after, when he would be coming "hopefully" off of a good season.

Is this affecting your choice to bring him back in 2009, whether or not he might be worth draft picks in 2010? I'm guessing that the Brewers bring him back in 2009, and then hope that one of Cain or Brantley is ready to take over in 2010.

Well to be honest, I have serious doubts as to whether he would be worth the price tag for next season, but those doubts could easily be alleviated if we would be guaranteed compensation if he left the following year. As for Cain or Brantley, we could be without one given the CC trade or possibly both. Factoring in the possibility of stagnation (more Cain than Brantley), and we could be left with Jr. Gwynny manning center in the future.

1) Roberts 2b ( Leadoff hitter w/ OBP .379 32SB & OPS .846 )

2) Hardy 3b ( great #2 hitter )

3) Braun LF ( Franchise man )

4) Fielder 1B ( Ride the train until it stops at Boras town )

5) Hart RF/CF ( Good insurance for Fielder to get pitches and clutch RISP hitter )

6) Kapler CF/RF ( Yet another good plate discipline hitter )

7) Escobar SS ( rookie spot #7 )

8) Rivera C ( .317/.381/.837 from C spot, time to step up to everyday land )

9) CC P ( yes, I said CC )

See how Gamel does at AAA/Sept call ups in 08.

I think it will be basically the same lineup as this year. Really, Weeks is the only major weak spot right now that isn't made up for by defense (like as in Jason Kendall's case). I really don't get how anyone can reasonably suggest moving him to the outfield. I really don't see him having the skill set to play any of the three OF positions reasonably well.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

The only thing I would say is that I want some better consistency from our players. Hardy has been so streaky like last year, Prince has been worse. CF's production has been a light year's difference than last so that has made up for it.

I am sick of this years LF bats 3rd, 3rd base bats 6th, and CF bats 7th. I would rather see Hammerin' Cameron bat 6th to see if he could have less solo homers and more of a opportunity to drive in runs.

The only thing I would say is that I want some better consistency from our players. Hardy has been so streaky like last year, Prince has been worse. CF's production has been a light year's difference than last so that has made up for it.

I am sick of this years LF bats 3rd, 3rd base bats 6th, and CF bats 7th. I would rather see Hammerin' Cameron bat 6th to see if he could have less solo homers and more of a opportunity to drive in runs.

Cameron has been batting 6th lately and he was batting 2nd earlier in the year. I believe Cameron said he feels more comfortable in the 6th and 7th spot in the lineup.

I don't have a problem with Kapler batting 3rd when he replaces Braun. I'm not sure who you put into the 3rd slot when Braun is out really. You are losing a lot of production no matter who you put in the 3rd slot. I know the batting order really doesn't matter I know someone is going to say that. Fielder should be hitting 3rd anyways but it looks as though Braun feels more comfortable batting 3rd and Prince feels more comfortable batting 4th in the lineup. So I say stick with it.

Theres just no answer to putting someone in a spot because someone is out. Keeping Hart and Fielder in their slots in the batting order when they are in I see no problem with. I don't want to see Cameron in the 3 hole and Kendall/Hall/Branyan/Counsell should never bat 3rd in the lineup ever. So that leaves you with Kapler or recently Nix batting 3rd. Its not that the LF bats 3rd so Kapler or Nix is going to be batting 3rd its that the guys in the lineup already are used to batting in a specific order. Baseball is more mental than it is physical if Hart and Fielder are more comfortable batting in the 4th and 5th slots then why move them just because Braun or someone else is out of the lineup that day. Doesn't really make sense when you look at the batting order this way it will make you less frustrated over the way you are looking at it now.

2b: Weeks

ss: Hardy

rf: Braun

1b: Fielder

cf: Cameron

lf: Gamel/3b: Hall

3b: Hall/lf: Rottino

c: Kendall

bench: Rivera, Gamel/Rottino, Nelson, Counsell, Dillon, Gwynn

rotation: Halladay, Sheets, Gallardo, Parra, Bush

bullpen: Torres, Riske, Stetter, Shouse, McClung, Villanueva

Brewers acquire Halladay for Hart and Suppan, re-sign Sheets to 5 year, $70 million contract.

Archived