Brewer Fanatic

Estrada = Barrett

TGJforPrez

I am beginning to wonder if Estrada has the same affect on the team/pitchers as Michael Barret did in Chicago and now San Diego.

The Brewers are 19-9 with Miller starting and 37-35 with Estrada Starting. They have given up 110 runs with Miller behind the plate (3.92 per game) and 329 with Estrada (4.5 per game)

I was counting earned and unearned for runs, so maybe its all just a conincidence, but it sure seems like the Crew does better with Miller starting.

Speaking of Barrett, he was 24-28 when starting for the Cubs and without him starting behind the plate they are 28-18. For the Padres he is 5-13 in games started 49-33 w/o him in the lineup.

Maybe there is a reason these good hitting catchers have each played for 4 teams. Man, I wish the Cubs would have kept him.

I think you'd probably need larger sample sizes for this to really mean much. In the case of Miller vs Estrada it wouldn't surprise me that Miller does better since he's known most of these pitchers longer than Estrada. In the case of Padres vs Cubs the Cubs got hot and are winning all the 1 run games, I doubt you can blame barrett for that. SDP has a really rough patch of their schedule recently.

LOL

Rather than just leave my discussion on a funny photo, I will add that I think Barrett is a little different than Estrada. Barrett's unpopularity was pretty open between Zambrano and the other players. I'd also like to see the pitching matchups that MIller has played with and see if it lends any further discussion to the drastic winning percentage. I highly doubt Estrada is unliked in the clubhouse. Again, I believe the truth is somewhere in the middle with the strained hammy and being slow in general. Yost doesn't like to sub for his catcher, that's well known and I can see him telling Johnny to play at half speed. On the other hand, I can see him benching Johnny today to teach a lesson also. Until it becomes an everyday habit or the players start to talk badly, I'm willing to give Johnny a pass on this one.

Estrada is a perfect example for me at least of seeing a guy play everyday vs just seeing a guy a few times a year and it changing my opinion alot of that player.When we got him,i was pretty happy even if i didn't like that he never walks.

Now after watching him all this year,i can see why Estrada doesn't stick with teams long.He really only has one positive attribute as a player,hitting for a better average than normal for a catcher.Other than that,it's hard to see anything else he does well.

Yeah, Estrada is underwhelming, but he's probably fine for a catcher. The reason I qualify that is that there was a lot of talk out of AZ about him being a Latino AJ Pierzynski, meaning that everybody on the team hated him and was glad to see him gone. That may just have been the typical bash-guys-after-they're-gone thing that most teams seem to do, but perhaps not.

This is where trading Bush+ for Salty from ATL would make some sense, if they could get that done. I don't see the Brewers going for that though, as they seem to be stupidly obsessed with going for it this year.

Archived