Brewer Fanatic

How is Jeffress doing?

I am probably wrong it happens a lot but in my opinion Jeffress has a shot at making the big league squad out of camp next year. I believe that one of Prince & Hardy will be traded and that will bring a pitcher into the fold but still leave a door open for one more hypothecital spot.. I believe that his call up to AA was two fold. First to save room for the AFL and to see how he handles better competition and to get him ready sooner rather than later. I am not saying he will make the team out of camp but there are some talents that you cannot justify keeping in the minors and he is a super talent.

I am probably wrong it happens a lot but in my opinion Jeffress has a shot at making the big league squad out of camp next year. I believe that one of Prince & Hardy will be traded and that will bring a pitcher into the fold but still leave a door open for one more hypothecital spot.. I believe that his call up to AA was two fold. First to save room for the AFL and to see how he handles better competition and to get him ready sooner rather than later. I am not saying he will make the team out of camp but there are some talents that you cannot justify keeping in the minors and he is a super talent.
Well, Gallardo was 21 years old when he was called up last year. Jeffress will be 21 at the start of camp next year. So I guess I wouldn't be completely shocked if he was given a chance to prove himself in spring training.

I hope the Brewers do not put him anywhere near the rotation next year. He missed valuable innings on his arm last year due to his suspension. He needs to be able to continually get his arm stronger with a little bit more increase in innings at AA and AAA next year. I would be terribly upset if we waste another arm due to rushing him up.

I'm also hopping he doesn't get near Milwaukee anytime before midseason next year. I still have nightmares about Nick Nuegabauer (sp?) being wasted when they rushed him.

But I still don't get it when people talk about trading Prince or even JJ this offseason. Prince is locked in as our property for 3 more years, so why rush it? We don't have a major league ready 1B to replace him. And don't say Gamel, since he has yet to play the position and the Brewers are still hopping he can play 3rd. So why would we trade him?? JJ is having another solid year and I think he is signable long term. Although I agree Escobar will probaly be our SS of the future, maybe even next years opening day starter, I see JJ playing 3rd if Gamel can't handel it (JJ at 3rd, Escbar at SS, Gamel in right, Hart in C) or even at 2nd with Rickie becoming the odd man out, if Gamel can play 3rd.

But back to the original subject, Jeffress seems to be steadily improving, which is very exciting and we still have some exciting pitching a year or two behind him. But please don't rush them.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

While Gallardo did make the majors at 21, I don't think it's fair to put Jeffress on the same timeline.

Gallardo played at each level in the system except R+ from 2004 thru the first part of 2007. In his trek from R to AAA, Gallardo compiled 380 minor league innings (not including the 15 he thru this year), including about 140 at AA and AAA. Outside of his short stint in Beloit in 2004, he dominated each and every level.

Jeffress has been pretty impressive, especially this season after missing time for his suspension. He has, however, not been nearly as dominant as Gallardo was. He's also pitched about 170 fewer innings than Yo, and only 15 of his 213 minor league innings have been at AA.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if the Brewers started Jeffress in Huntsville next year. I'd be equally unsurprised to see him start next year in Nashville he spends time in and does well in the AFL. But I'd be stunned if he were in Milwaukee before next June or July.

Chris

-----

"I guess underrated pitchers with bad goatees are the new market inefficiency." -- SRB

I wouldn't be at all surprised if the Brewers started Jeffress in Huntsville next year. I'd be equally unsurprised to see him start next year in Nashville he spends time in and does well in the AFL. But I'd be stunned if he were in Milwaukee before next June or July.
I would expect Jeffress to be in spring training next year for the Brewers but I don't expect him to be on the opening day roster though. Was Gallardo on the spring training team last year? I thought he was but I can't remember exactly if he was or wasn't at spring training. Jeffress like Braun will be at spring training but start out the year in AAA. I don't think Jeffress will be called up as early as Braun was. I would be suprised if he was up by June. I believe as long as there are no injuries to the Brewers, though I do believe that Jeffress will be near the bottom of the list to be called up because of injuries unless he has an overly impressive spring training, Jeffress could see time with the Brewers in late July, August, or as a September call up next year.

Fair enough; I did not state that he should make the team out of spring training I just said he has a shot. I agree that he shouldn't be there and a path like Kershaw isn't out of the realm, but I also do not feel that he lost a lot of innings with that suspension this spring. If he would have pitched since the start of camp there probably would have been a less of a chance of him seeing AA or going to the AFL this year to face stiffer competition.

Again I just feel that talent outweighs everything else, when Braun got called up it was because of a lack of talent because of the Koskie injury. As of right now the crew is going to be a little light in the pitching department, my point was may the best man win. Jeffress has the goods I hope they don't rush him but look at what Johnny Cueto did to start the season.

Again I am not endorsing him to start the season on the club, but many have agreed that he could see some time in the bigs next year and if he is one of the 12 best pitchers in the system than he should see some time. It is not out of the realm of reality for a pitcher of his caliber to prove in spring training, a fast pace in the beginning of a season, or an injury, to cause an extreme talent to get called up. I just think that this puts him on a faster track to the big league team. May, June, July, August that is all debatle and really has no merits because we cannot see that far into a crystal ball nor do we no what kind of a starting rotation we will have but most can agree he has the talent to be in there somewhere.

I've always been of the opinion that his ascension could mirror that of the great Jonny Papelbon. Let him come up as a set-up man next year and if he takes to relief, let him become our closer. When someone else comes along, ease him back into the rotation. His fastball/slider combo would play great out of the 'pen and it would allow the brass next year to limit his innings while filling an obvious need.

I've always been of the opinion that his ascension could mirror that of the great Jonny Papelbon. Let him come up as a set-up man next year and if he takes to relief, let him become our closer. When someone else comes along, ease him back into the rotation. His fastball/slider combo would play great out of the 'pen and it would allow the brass next year to limit his innings while filling an obvious need.
Why on earth would you limit his potential to the bullpen unless he was severely needed like Joba last year.

Jon Papelbon came up as a starter, and was only added to the bullpen to acclimate him to the majors. He took to it so well, that they made him the closer for the year, knowing that at some point, they were going to make him back into a starter. However, no closer has appeared for them, and since they have such good depth in their rotation, they haven't attempted to stretch him back out. I guess I could have used Frankie Liriano, but that story hasn't had the happiest of endings, though things are looking up.

Archived