Brewer Fanatic

Potential On-Field Celebrations

lcbj68c

I wanted to address this topic as it's getting to September and for many including myself being born in 1982, I never got to be a part of or witness the on-field celebration of the AL pennant and making the playoffs. It is the single-most moment that I am waiting for as a Brewer fan and plan to be at every single game once our magic number to clinch is 2. I realize that it may not get there and I am not calling my shot or predicting playoffs, I'm simply stating that I can't wait for that moment and imagine almost every single day what that is going to be like or feel like.

That said, the scheduling this season prevents some interesting scenarios and I wanted to gauge the feelings of some other fans. As it appears now, the Brewers have a very slim margin for winning the NL Central (10% I believe). However, if they get to or remain with 3 games back, it's entirely possible that the Cubs winning 1 of 3 and us Brewers fans having to endure that celebration on our home turf. If we clinch the Wild Card also during that series, will the Cubs celebration diminish at all how you feel as a fan during that moment?

I've thought through the scenarios and I think I'd rather just have the Cubs be 5 up with 4 to play so that we can have that moment in the sun. I'd hate to be in the middle of game #160, learn of the Cardinals loss to clinch the wild card in the 7th inning and our fans go crazy, only to lose the game to the Cubs and watch them celebrate in the center of our diamond. Does anybody else have the same feel or fears and thought about that moment only to start to realize this season that it could be upstaged by the Cubs given the schedule?

At first I thought this was going to be about the crowd storming the field again. Actually, I wonder what would happen if the crowd tried to do that?

I was born in '81 and I honestly don't care how/when we clinch at this point. In fact, I'd rather the team hold off on any huge on-field celebration until the World Series. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

How wierd would it be if the Cubs clinched the central and the Brewers clinched the wild card on the same day while playing each other in that last series? Or vica versa? I wonder what type of celebrations there would be on the field that game.

I don't think they'd allow people to storm the field now. Obviously if everyone went running towards the field there's no way of stopping it, but I just don't see that happening. I was hoping that we could have done that for the last game at County Stadium, but they had a lot of security around the perimeter of the field so it didn't happen. I think one person jumped the fence during the game and they received their $500.00 fine. I'm sure they will have plenty of security on hand if/when we get to that point. This is unfortunate because things like storming the field are things that make the years past the "good-old-days" and you just don't see that happening anymore.

our friends and I have discussed this as well. I just really hope we can clinch the Wild Card before the Cubs series. That way we can have a celebration all to ourselves. I also hope it happens on a win of ours; where after the final pitch is thrown in our game, we clinch. The nine other people in our 20-game pack have already decided on having a champagne shower in the parking lot after the game if we're at the clinching game.

If the Cubs clinch the division at Miller Park, there will be fights in the stands and parking lots. I hope either the Brewers or Cubs have it wrapped up at that point as the potential for it to get ugly is high, especially if the Brewers are out of playoff contention. Each year the animosity Brewer fans have for Cubs fans seems to grow and the combination of alcohol and losing becomes a powder keg. If the Brewers have the wild card by the time the Cubs clinch, I hope it may numb some of the sting and make the game tolerable. I will still have a sour taste in my mouth if that happens, though; even if it's on the same day. Some of you know of my hatred for the Cubs and there fans, so all I can say is I'm glad my friend's wedding is that weekend, forcing me to miss the series.

Edit: If and when the Crew do clinch a playoff spot, I will be running around outside like a crazy person for a while. If I'm lucky enough to be at the game, I bet the fans storm the field and I will do all I can to be one of them.

If the Brewers clinch a World Series berth at Miller Park, I kind of hope the fans storm the field. That would make for a helluva spectacle (again).

The best part is we could all say we didn't know that you shouldn't do that since it's been so long since we last made the World Series and the last time we did all the fans stormed the field. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

I have tickets for the Saturday game in Sec 103. My tickets for the other two games are much better.

That section for the July series was probably 95% cub fans.

All I have to say is it had better not be that way for the Saturday game.

back in the days of "fans storming the field" the teams only cared about the field condition (and, evidently, not that much anyways.) But now, you have people looking at the potential of lawsuits and a lack of general safety and security and that's why teams have really stepped it up when it comes to on-field security. Not to mention the terrorist threats inherent.

I think it would be great if the Brewers were able to do like the Tigers did a couple years back and really celebrate with the fans (high fives, champagne baths, etc.) near the stands. Besides, the grass at Miller Park is already not the greatest. The last thing they need is 10,000 people stomping all over it and tearing it apart days before the World Series.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

I wasn't talking about fans storming the field. I was talking about the players..specifically, I dont want to see the Cubs players storm the field after clinching a division, specifically not on the same day we clinch a wild card.

But since it was brought up, I don't think I would personally storm the field. I think I'll want to have a close vantage point on the field level for some awesome photos.

hopefully it will be one of those situations, as wibadgers spoke of. Then, I think it would be AWESOME if, just as the Cubs begin celebrating, all the Brewers come storming out of the dugout and make their own "dogpile" right next to the Cubs guys. That would be quite a sight--something that you'd likely never see again!

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

Community Moderator

This brings up a number of interesting scenarios...

First of all, there's a <1% chance of the fans storming the field. It would be an amazing moment if it happened, but the only chance is if Mark A. specifically gives permission before the clinching game, which for liability reasons would just never happen.

Secondly, if the Brewers and Cubs clinch on the same night during the final series, the only possible scenario is that the Cubs won, the Brewers lost, and the 2nd place WC team also lost. In this scenario, I expect that there would be no on-field celebration by the Brewers and they would simply head to the clubhouse after the game--although they may possibly return after the Cubs have left the field. However, if the 2nd place WC team were to finish up their loss during the game, the fans would probably know about it and start celebrating even if the Brewers were losing. Overall, it would be a very strange and awkward situation that I would rather avoid.

Unless the Brewers sweep at Wrigley, the most likely scenario is that the Cubs clinch a week in advance and the Brewers get the final week to themselves. Although I would prefer Friday the 27th as the clincher since I will be there, it would probably be better for them to take care of things during the Pirates series so that 99% of the people there are Brewers fans. Honestly, though, I just want them to make it, it doesn't matter really how they do it.

I was at the AL pennant clinching game in 1982, sitting in the leftcenter field bleachers with 2 of my friends. We were Juniors in HS. We all jumped the OF wall and stormed the field after the last out. I swear one of my friends was over the wall before Carew left the batters box. By the time I got over the wall and to the infield it was a mob scene. People were collecting infield dirt and putting it in cups for souvenir purposes. Others were trying to grab the bases. The players were trying to get into the clubhouse. It was pretty much chaos.

Then my friends and I hopped on a bus by the VA center and took it downtown. Wisconsin avenue was wall to wall people, high fiving, going nuts. We started at Van Buren and walked all the way up Wisconsin avenue to about 50th street (back near the stadium again) just slapping hands and celebrating with thousands of other fans.

I also remember walking down to dunkin' donuts on Hwy 100 and Washington in West Allis after watching the Brewers lose game 7 of the WS on TV and drowning our sorrows in donuts and soda.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

Ah geez,

For months (OK, since the 2008 schedule was announced 11 months ago or whenever that happened), I've been uneasily anticipating cubs fans in our faces throughout that last series, just because that's what so many of them do.

I hadn't even thought about the extra indignity of their players celebrating on our turf. Thanks for giving me even more to look forward to that weekend, lcbj68c. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/ohwell.gif

So I have to admit, there's a part of me that would like to have the playoff spots set by September 25. (I realize that's kind of loser-talk, but I will not consider myself a loser for looking out for my mental health.) It's not like the cubs are going to be knocked out of the postseason entirely, at this point, so why give them and the most boorish of their fans extra emotional ammunition?

If the Cubs clinch the division at Miller Park, there will be fights in the stands and parking lots.

I've got to agree with yount19.u on this. Unfortunately, the same may apply if the Brewers close the gap and move ahead during that last series. Maybe I should bring body armor to that Sunday game.

I noticed the description for the Shirt Off Our Back promotion has it being a postgame drawing this year - which may be smart if the cubs fans leave promptly at game's end, thus allowing for some post-game separation between the fanbases (and increasing my chance of scoring the Corey Hart jersey).

As for another of Luke's comments:

I'm simply stating that I can't wait for that moment and imagine almost every single day what that is going to be like or feel like.

I've wondered that at almost literally every Brewer game I've ever attended. My first game at County Stadium was the season ender in 1983, and all I could think of at first was "this is where all the excitement happened last year." Of course, I did get to see a division championship celebration that day (just the wrong team), but every game I've attended in the subsequent 25 years, I've thought about it, if only for a moment. (It was definitely only for a moment in the latter 1990s and early 2000s.)

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

If the Cubs and Brewers both clinch playoff spots on the same day, the only logical scenario I can envision is a bench clearing, seats emptying, stadium wide brawl to end all brawls.
I think the only solution to that one is to close the dome and pump in sedatives through the HVAC.

I hope the playoff spots are clinched well before that last series. I don't need the heart trouble of knowing we have to face the Cubs, and more specifically the horrible fans they bring with them, in order to make the playoffs.

The poster previously known as Robin19, now @RFCoder

EA Sports...It's in the game...until we arbitrarily decide to shut off the server.

It is the single-most moment that I am waiting for as a Brewer fan and plan to be at every single game once our magic number to clinch is 2. I realize that it may not get there and I am not calling my shot or predicting playoffs, I'm simply stating that I can't wait for that moment and imagine almost every single day what that is going to be like or feel like.
I hear you. I have spent many, many moments dreaming about what it will be like to clinch. But that also leads to my problem.

Maybe it's just not close enough yet, but the Wild Card isn't exciting me at all. I think it's because I have waited so long to see them win something, not be the best second place team. I'll be happy to make the playoffs, but a good portion of me will still be disappointed we lost the division.

Like I said, it might change as we get farther into September, but right now the WC doesn't really do it for me. Anyone else feel like this?

Not me, winning the wild card will be just as awesome as winning the division. Obviously a division title would be nice, but the last time we made it to the playoffs I was about 3 months short of being concieved, so yeah I don't care. Besides at this point I might rather play the Mets/Phillies than the Dodgers/DBacks

I also agree on having a huge sentiment towards making the playoffs and my feelings won't be diminished because it's a wild card and not the division. We are the 2nd best team in the Central, may win 93 games or so. It's not our fault the Cubs went insane this season. In fact, I'd rather win the wild card than be handed a Division championship with only 81-83 wins like the D-backs or Dodgers may do.

Archived