Brewer Fanatic

What's the scoop on Joe Bateman?

strobl2
Anyways I was looking at the Sounds stats the other day and I noticed Joe Bateman. His stats have been amazing ( minus 1 year) for his whole minor league career. I was wondering why we don't call this guy up.

He throws in the middle 80's and has a decent slider (IIRC... it's been awhile since I've seen him, he might have a change-up too?). The thing with Bateman is he's a side-armer with the inherent deception in the delivery that being a side-armer brings. He doesn't have great stuff, but he's sure been effective. I'm all for calling him up in September to see if we can catch lightning in a side-arm bottle.

In a rather speculative article for ESPN.com, Eric Karabell identified Joe Bateman (currently on Nashville) as an "Under the radar saves guy for 2009." Can anyone give a scouting report on Bateman. Aside from his stats, which look pretty impressive by the way, all I could find out about him came from some website called sfhardball.com, which ranked him as the Giants #11 prospect in 2006 and wrote the following about him:

"There's something about having a sidearm reliever. He brings a different look to the mound, and can throw off a team that's gotten into a hitting groove. The Giants have found a promising one in San Jose's closer Joe Bateman."

Is there any chance the Brewers would call him up prior to September 1 or at all this season? Based on his MLE, it seems like there is no way he is any worse than Mota at this point--why not give the sidearming guy a chance--look what happened with Ziegler from the A's. Maybe lightning can strike twice. Lord knows the Crew could use another solid bullpen option down the stretch.

Another way of describing it would be that Mota has been 3-hittable his last 8 IP. Stink for 4 years (and for 8.5 years in a 10 year career), and you'll find it takes somewhat more than 8 innings worth of successful pitching to change my opinion that you stink.

Bateman's career MLE FIP is a very solid 3.83, though his historical platoon splits would make it difficult to trust him against good LH hitters (career MLE FIP vs LH = 5.47). He's certainly worth a look, and I don't think Robideux was a bit out of line for suggesting he's probably better than Mota. He's probably better than Gagne too, and maybe half the rest of the bullpen.

We'll have to see whether they're willing to add him to the 40 man. Could be that with Dillard, DiFelice, and Stetter returning, they won't really feel a pressing need to do so. I hope they do...he's a lot like Steve Bray in that scouts are surely so thoroughly unimpressed by his stuff that if he struggles (even for a short duration) early next season, he'll likely find himself back in AA and permanently off the team's radar, which is a shame given all the success he's had to have in order to get this close.

I hope they do...he's a lot like Steve Bray in that scouts are surely so thoroughly unimpressed by his stuff that if he struggles (even for a short duration) early next season, he'll likely find himself back in AA and permanently off the team's radar, which is a shame given all the success he's had to have in order to get this close.

To be honest, I don't think the Bray comparison is accurate. I still think Bray's failure this year is mental and not physical. I have to imagine he wasn't happy he wasn't called up last year. Rivera's year last year in AAA was pretty poor and he never got sent down and even made the big league team this year. I've posted before the Brewers don't always handle their bullpen minor league pitchers the best and I think that is holding Bray back. Bray should've gotten a shot last year and now I think the best thing for him is a new organization. Bray can still pitch like he did last year, but mentally knowing there was no way he's going to get called up hurts a player.

Bateman does have the side arm thing going and his pitches are very deceptive. I hope he gets called up so we can see what he has. Again, I've heard that he will be called up so it won't be a huge shock. I think the pitchers called up in September are pitching for a huge 'prize' in their current career. With the pitchers in the last year of their deals there will be room next year and Bateman, Dillard, Stetter, etc. could start their surge for a spot on next year's team.

I saw Bray throw 92 MPH fastballs in the AAA All-Star game last year, so he's not a total soft tosser. However, his stuff is pretty mediocre. I do agree that the Melvin has done a wretched job with the Brewer bullpen. Theres no reason to continue to stick with Gagne. Dillard and Batemen have earned an oppurtunity.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Guys with little velocity usually do not get a shot very quickly. They gotta prove themselves much more than the guy who throws 95+.

We heard the same thing about Jason Childers, who had a devastating curve, but topped out at 85-87, and often threw 83-84. Despite that one very good pitch, his big league career was brief. I don't even think Bray has a really good pitch, does he? He's more of a mix it up guy, I think.

I don't think the Brewers organization under Melvin has made good decisions in regards to relievers. He seems to lean on veterans and "power arms". He's given up on some young arms before ever giving them adequate chances. Balfour, Adams, Dillard, even Thatcher (who's not so good this year) had a better year last year than Linebrink. They have done so in favor of the likes of Mota, Riske, Shouse, Gagne, and Torrez. This is going to be our big weakness down the stretch. How much confidence do you have in any of those guys?

The Brewers have the 6th best bullpen ERA in the NL, and if you remove Turnbow, they are 4th, 0.002 behind 3rd place Cincy, where fans have also complained about their bullpen all year.

The bullpen has been good, and are rested, thanks to the rotation pitching well and Yost's management.

EDIT: I should mention, I cannot tell the future, but with the addition of Stetter and others, the relief corps should remain rested. I would not expect them to fall apart the rest of the way, and some may project improvement.

Guys with little velocity usually do not get a shot very quickly. They gotta prove themselves much more than the guy who throws 95+.

Is this in regards to Bray? What else did he have to do last year?

The Brewers have the 6th best bullpen ERA in the NL, and if you remove Turnbow, they are 4th, 0.002 behind 3rd place Cincy, where fans have also complained about their bullpen all year.

Well if you remove a few players on offense we easily have the best offensive team in baseball. You simply can't remove players and I've been told that many times around here. I think from a business view the bullpen is horrible. There was a ton of money wasted and if Mark is a good owner he'll have a chat with Melvin about it. I think if they had kept Sarfate around as the long guy and kept Stetter/Dillard around they could've easily saved the Gagne, Mota, and possibly Riske mistakes. Yea the bullpen is alright, but I personally wouldn't want to blow all that money when there are cheaper and possibly better options already on the team. Gagne is only on the roster because of his contract and I'm sure Mark and Doug will have a talk about that.

The reason Turnbow was removed is that his numbers were off-the-charts bad, not just the common struggles of a callup like Dillard or DiFelice. Top 25% is pretty darn good.

The 'pen costs what, $21M? For 28% of the team, I don't see that as high at all. You can go cheap out there, but you'll have some hits and misses. For the most part, Gagne is the only player who has struggled per contract, and he was not healthy, and I doubt he's still more than 80%. I don't see Riske or Mota as a mistake at all, Dave will be around for 2 more years and is just over his career norms, while Mota has been very good, except during his mechanical troubles.

If you take a GM's moves and pick out the one bad one, you'll always find a "worst" move. Sarfate was horrible last year in AAA, and wasn't going to be kept on the 40 man...nice pickup though of a "live arm" by HOU, then BAL.

Before the season, the Brewers had the 2nd highest bullpen payroll in the majors, behind only the Yankees. That may have changed with trades or whatever, but they definitely have allocated a not typical amount of their payroll to the pen this year.

I think if they had kept Sarfate around as the long guy and kept Stetter/Dillard around they could've easily saved the Gagne, Mota, and possibly Riske mistakes.

Mota and Riske have performed better than Dillard this season. Gagne was obviously a high gamble, but one the team felt they had to make. They didn't want to go into the season with Turnbow as the closer (smart thinking) and couldn't have expected this level of performance from Torres. Seriously, I had no idea that this was his best year by ERA+ until I just looked. It was 80 last year!

Gagne is only on the roster because of his contract and I'm sure Mark and Doug will have a talk about that.

The Brewers wouldn't have someone pitching the 8th inning if they didn't think he could get guys out. What possible benefit do you think will come with a Mark Doug talk? Don't you think Mark signed off on this move, and was aware of the risk involved? The Brewers biggest weakness in the offseason was bullpen, and the Brewers got the guy who had the best history as a closer. They knew it could be an expensive failure, but they weren't going to do nothing just because it may not work. I'm fairly confident in speculating that the money spent on the bullpen will decrease next year, as the Brewers will have to spend more money to keep the same position players.

In regards to Bateman, he certainly looks like somebody who should be in the mix for getting a chance to be in the 2009 BP.

I'm sure Mark does not "have a talk" about every move that may or may not work out. Just like Doug does not call Ned and ask him why he chose to use one PH and not another.

It's classic second guessing. If this was a 3y/$24M deal, it'd be a big question mark...1y deals are far from risk free, but they do not carry with them the inherent risk of damaging the franchise either.

Archived