Brewer Fanatic

What do we do with the outfield next year?

logan82
  • Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let's not forget his awful play on the Sanchez triple.

And if you watched the Rivas play again, he played the ball poorly and over threw the cutoff man. And Rivas was not even close to 3rd when he grabbed the ball. And how far he had to run? That is a good one. Watch the play again.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I have watched the play again and agree with Al. There was absolutely no play on Rivas in the 9th.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

There was no play because of Cameron's lack of hustle. He still picked up the ball before Rivas is there. I watched it again on TiVo. No arguing about stats when it was clear as day. A good throw to the cutoff man and he is dead to rights at the plate. Watch it again when Rivas hesitates before the ball hits the ground.

Yes, barring injury, Cam's as good as back. He's been superb.

His defense is probably top 3, his offense is #1 in the NL, and he's said to be a great guy. The only thing better than the option would be if they came to a handshake agreement for $7-8M, but it's not worth losing him over.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I know Kapps has played all 3 OF positions this year, and has average D, he almost always delivers with clutch hits when needed, and has 150% better plate discipline than Cameron

Cameron has a higher OBP than Kapler despite hitting almost 50 points lower. Cam takes 4.23 pitcher per plate appearance, compared to Kapler's 3.92. Just because someone strikes out a lot, doesn't mean they have poor plate discipline, in fact, I'd argue the opposite; someone with 10 walks in 210 at bats is probably the guy who's plate discipline could stand to imrove. And the difference in D from Cam to Kapler in CF is a pretty wide gap.

It's been said before and bears saying again, when you're rebuilding and figure to win 70 games, going with a cheap guy like Kapler to get 550 at bats is not a bad idea. When you plan to contend, you can't play it on the cheap with 32 year old guys who are far outperforming their career norms and who can't be reasonably expected to continue that trend, especially playing on an everyday basis.

My Brewerfan.net projection for Cameron was .272 / .340 / .481 so he is doing about what I expected out of him. I was probably too optimistic about the AVG, surprised me when I looked back and I had it over .270 though i don't think the .260s are unreasonable since he isn't in pitchers parks anymore.

postseason I understand having a player that you just aren't a fan of no matter how they perform. I think everyone has a player or two like that, but you're arguments against cameron just don't hold up. He's been great. Compare him to other CFers and see what someone of his caliber costs. He's not underperforming. He will be back next year and for 10 mil and deservedly so.

Mike Cameron is arguably the best centerfielder in the National League taking both offense and defense into consideration. It's just sad that it's taken a 5 for 5 game for people to stop calling for him to be benched. My dad is still calling for Kapler to be playing. It's 3 and I'm on Brewerfan.net lets go crew.

I also don't find any fault in Cameron on the Rivas play. I have also watched replays and a perfect throw to the cutoff man still wouldn't have got him. I also don't see anything wrong with the Sanchez triple. That ball was smoked and Cam had to dive to try to keep the vall in front of him, that was really is only chance. He couldn't have cut it off any other way.

I have been pleasantly suprised by Cameron this year, about a month ago I wasn't really expecting the Crew to even contemplate picking his option up next year but now I am no so sure. His play, at least IMO buys the Crew a little more time with Gamel. I still don't buy that they will leave him at 3rd, so if Cam is picked up next year Mat can get some more seasoning in the OF before Hart or Braun takes over in CF. (Not sure I like Braun or Hart in CF, but it looks like it is headed that way unless Gamel stays at 3rd)

I could see Hart moving to CF, as he definitely has the speed for it. I really can't see Braun playing center effectively. He's doing fine as the left fielder, I hope they just leave him there. I doubt having your star offensive player change positions every single year is anything close to a good idea.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I wouldn't be shocked if the Brewers looked into trading Corey Hart for either a different RF or CF with a very good OBP, or for a starting picher... he's going to be arby eligible next year and his walk rate is trending in the wrong direction. He also could be very valuable to a club looking for a good solution in RF that they'd control for the next three years.

Then again, he's relatively cheap and under control for three more years, so I can definitely see why the Brewers would be hesitant to move him.

PostSeason, I must respectfully disagree with almost everything you have said in this thread. I understand trying to argue with you by pointing out statistics is useless as they've pretty much all been posted. From what I've seen here arguing with you is close to the same as arguing with my girlfriend. She just plain doesn't like some of the guys on the team, and no statistic will change her mind, because she remembers them striking out, remembers them only hitting solo home runs, remembers them missing that fly ball that cost the Crew the game... but doesn't remember all the "routein" balls that average CF's don't even get to. Doesn't realize he has been one of the best hitters with men on the Crew has had this year, and doesn't realize that a better percentage of his homeruns have come when he's hit with men on, than with the bases empty. Perception is what it is, and there's not much someone like me can to do change someone's perception. I will never understand how you can argue with statistics... but then again, I will also never truely understand women... I guess it's just one of those things...

I just saw the 9th inning play again...Clemente could not have thrown out Rivas...and Hardy had no chance if the throw was right to him, Luis was well more than halfway to home.

As i said in the first place, Cameron's angle was all wrong, in addition to it being too deep...he was running straight across CF to cut it off. His momentum was going right to the foul line, not towards the plate. No chance to get the runner, the throw correctly came in to hold the go ahead run at 1B.

On a base hit right at Cameron, he could have charged the ball and both got his momentum going the right way and shortening his throw, like the short fly ball in the 12th. On a single in LCF, it's automatic that run scores.

Archived