Brewer Fanatic

What do we do with the outfield next year?

logan82
  • Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Melvin and Co. would be stupid to not bring back Cameron.

Career Averages:

.250/.340/.449

2008 Season (age 35)

.244/.333/.506

With great defense in center. I don't understand all the anti-Cameron talk I hear. What kind of production was everyone expecting? The guy strikes out 140 times a year, hits .250 with a lot of walks, and goes 20-20. I'll take that in center any day of the week.

As for 2010, I'd rather see Braun in Center than Hart, assuming he keeps improving. Finding a new centerfielder who can hit is a lot harder than throwing a stick in left.

I don't think Gamel in the outfield is a good idea until they give him a shot to fail at 3B. I think 3B and SP are by far our most pressing issues for next year(I assume Sheets and Sabathia are gone). Pick up Cameron's option and leave Gamel at 3rd.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Let me clarify. By no means do I think Braun is ready to play center field right now. I do think his arm and speed project well there. He's been playing outfield for less than a year. If he regresses or simply doesn't improve, keep him in left. I think by 2010, however, we'll have a better grasp on whether or not he can handle the move, which is when it actually matters.

Also I was wondering about Cameron hitting 7 instead of Hall/Counsell the other day as well. I honestly believe Yost does it because Hall looks like he SHOULD hit with more power.

Earlier on in the season, I felt like it would be a no brainer to move Hart to center with LaPorta waiting in the wings...I guess now we have to actually make a decision. 10 million for Mike Cameron does seem a bit steep for me considering our payroll. Doesn't seem like he should make up that high of a percentage of our overall payroll. I'm on the DeJesus bandwagon, but I think it would take more than most would think now that he is showing signs of breaking out this year.

The Royals have no reason to trade a young SP, and rarely does any team, unless you wish to trade Hart or maybe Hardy.
Yeah that is what I was thinking. To get Greinke and DeJesus from KC would cost one of those players. And that is not worth it. Would they take Weeks and spare parts?

I guess if we can get a DeJesus type that could leadoff and play CF I would be okay with bringing Cameron back.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Cameron's hitting .244

And he also hasn't been exactly Willie Mays defensively, so it's a wash.

Huh?

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

And he also hasn't been exactly Willie Mays defensively, so it's a wash.

Huh?

Don't ask me. I don't understand what that meant either. He's been great in the field.

Sure he's had a couple of bad plays but no outfielder that covers as much ground as he does will be perfect.

It will be the same outfield as this year. Hopefully Gwynn is not the 5th OFer.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Well I don't get the 'wash' comment. I was just pointing out to someone else that said he was batting .230's that he's actually hitting .244 due to his recent hit streak.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

The very only reason two reasons I can see that we wouldn't pick up Cam's option is if:

-We trade for another CF that can put up close to the production in '09 and beyond, or;

-We sign Sheets or Sabathia to such a deal that we can't afford him.

'Zactly. The issue is not whether or not Cameron is worth $10M; the issue is that is it better to have Cameron at $10M and one of Sheets/Sabathia, or is it better to have Kapler at $3M and both of Sheets/Sabathia. Oh, and Fielder, Hardy, and Hart (plus Bush and Weeks) are arby-eligible next year too. It may come down to Cameron vs. the raise due Fielder/Hardy/Hart/Bush. (And if Kapler's coming back it won't be for $800K - someone is going to offer a lot more than that.)

he's also left a ton of base this year.

And also knocked 54 runners in this year so far after missing the first month of the season. Yeah, he's made a couple of huge misplays, but also covers a ton of ground in CF and has played very good defense overall.

I'd keep Cameron as well. If he produces again, he could be a Type B or maybe A after next season.

And not to get off the topic too much--what about bringing back the Branyan/Hall platoon as well? Is it for certain that we'll lose Branyan?

Letting Branyan go would be a mistake, imho. However it's clear Ned doesn't like him, so they have to find an "everyday" 3B. Bill Hall is no answer to any question other than, "how do the Brewers replace Craig Counsell"

Archived