Brewer Fanatic

What do we do with the outfield next year?

logan82

As for the outfield question, I would like to see the same outfield next season. Brantley in 2010 sounds about right to me, and who knows where Gamel will end up on defense. As far as 2009 goes I don't see an obvious outfield that's better than what we have.

As for this run-expectancy tangent, I've always been curious as to a situation like this: Hart, Weeks, Cameron, or any other player with some speed gets on base to start the inning. It's first and 2nd nobody out. If you're playing for one run, should you bunt him over to second, or let him try to steal a bag, hoping you can bunt him over to third with one out? I'd check out the tangotiger.net but I've got a Physics exam coming up and NEEEEEED to get some work done before the game.

My opinion was always try to steal the bag. If you have a guy who steals at a 80% success rate (high I know), and *assuming the bunt is successful 100% of the time, that means 100% of the time you'd have a guy on 2nd with 1 out (.689 runs expected, but I'm not sure the frequency of scoring 1 run) vs. 80% of the time with man on 3rd one out + 20% 2 out no one on. All you really need to figure out the rest of the answer is the frequency of scoring one run in those situations.

thanks in advance.

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like the playing for 1 run when down by one run or tied late in the game. Especially when the team's worst hitters with no power are due up like Kendall and Counsell.

I agree with this but I want to add on to it. I like the idea of small ball to score first, because I think it's important to get ahead early on in the game and put the pressure on the other team. I also like it to increase a one-run lead, because a one run lead can evaporate with one swing of the bat.

I also want to clarify that by advocating small ball, I am not suggesting we always "give up an out". If you have a guy on second with nobody out, I would like the hitter to go to right field to move the runner. But he doesnt have to give himself up....he can still get a hit to the right side. I'd like to get a guy who knows how to get hits to the right side so we dont have to always give up an out, it's not like I am suggesting we bunt every time we have a guy on first with nobody out. And as far as Counsell goes, he is a below average hitter and never will be anything more. I dont think using him is a good example because he's not really doing anything different when he moves a runner over, he is just, for the most part, incapable of getting a hit.

Hart was a guy I thought would really bust out this year but he has really struggled in the second half. He seems to get a pass with the focus on Hall/Counsell, Weeks, Kendall but Hart has been borderline bad in the second half. His OBP is .275 since the All Star game, that is horrid for a corner outfielder.

This is really what I'm concerned about, too. Chalking it up to fatigue holds no water for me. Corey Hart's approach at the plate is very badly broken imho, and needs to be fixed. Hart has gotten a free pass almost the entire time he's struggled. Meanwhile, Rickie Weeks has actually been hitting for months now, and is still railed on for his offense.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Totally agree on Hart, the best thing he has going for him is speed and its not like he steals 50 bags. His obp is horrible this year and especially in the 2nd half. Id consider trading him before Hardy or Fielder, maybe someone will overvalue the all star, 20/20 status. People are quick to dump Cameron but he has been better than Hart this year offensively and is a better defender.

I'd most likely stick with the same outfield. If I get a deal I like for Hart I take it. Kapler,maybe Nelson, keep rightfield warm while Gamel plays of in Nashville. If we don't make the play-offs I assume we send Cleveland Cain. Cameron keeps center warm for Brantley and by 2010 my of for many years is Braun, Brantley, Gamel. I'm ok moving Gamel from 3rd, especially if we keep Green. Then again if we keep Hart I'm more likely to keep Gamel at 3rd, don't want any part of Hart in CF.

Archived