Brewer Fanatic

What do we do with the outfield next year?

logan82

After going off topic in the 2B thread I thought somebody should start an outfield thread.

1. Pick up Cameron's option. He has been very good this year both on offense and defense. I doubt we could find similar production without committing to a multi-year contract for more money.

2. Swap Braun and Hart. I thought Hart had a good arm in RF, but I am not so sure.

3. Try to resign Kapler. I think he would make a good back-up if we can get him to stay.

4. Look for a LH outfielder to come off the bench. Doesn't have to be able to play CF because we could move Hart to play there in a pinch.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree with your ideas in regards to the OF. Cameron sure appears to be able to hit 30+ HRs if he played a full year, but what does concern me about his offense is he doesn't exactly 'fit' what the Brewers need. I don't see any harm in keeping him another year, but it's not a perfect match.

I personally don't think we'll see Gamel in the OF next year (be that in Nashville or Milwaukee) so I think it makes sense to keep Cameron. Kapler hasn't done anything to not come back in 2009.

I don't think I'd flip Braun or Hart next year though. I think eventually Braun might be the CF if he continues to improve and if that's the plan I'd keep him in LF until he is ready to take over in CF (2010?).

$10 million is a lot to pay for a 36 year old .230 hitter even if he does play good defense and hits 25 home runs especially on a team that could better use a lefthanded bat. Heck Hall could give that level of production out there if they move Hardy to 3B and Escobar to SS.

I'd rather find a veteran lefthanded OF bat even if I have to move Hart to CF. I'm also figuring that Brantley will be in lineup sometime in 2009.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Cameron's hitting .244
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Cameron's OPS .839

Torri Hunter .824.

Nice job, Doug.

If Cameron keeps it up, I vote for the same outfield next year. It's really too bad Nix can't hit in the majors like he does in AAA. He'd be the perfect complement to Kapler on the bench

IMO, a one year 10 million dollar contract is a great deal for a centerfielder who plays good defense and has an .840 OPS. I think Mike Cameron has been a great addition to the team, and I would pick up his option w/out question.

I would keep the outfield the way it is next season, and then have Michael Brantley(if hes not the PTBNL) replace Mike Cameron the year after. I also wouldn't mind seeing Cole Gillespe up sometime during next season to be our 4th/5th outfielder.

I agree with JohnBriggs. While, I'll agree that Cameron has performed better than I thought he would, if $10 mil is the going rate for an aging, past his prime, OF then the salary structure of MLB is more out of wack than I thought it was. Could he really fetch $10M on the open market? Really?

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

It's crazy how many still think "KKKammeron" is having a bad offensive year. Part of that is from relying on BA, the other part is just using the his first month of production to create an opinion of him. That reminds me, I hear that Kendall guy can really hit, now that he fixed his eyes!

Could he really fetch $10M on the open market? Really?

He's getting $10+mil from someone next year, yes. I think it's a forgone conclusion that his option gets picked up.

If Cameron had 25 more plate appearances, he'd have the 6th best OPS among CF in baseball. Virtually any left-hander you get to play the position is going to be a downgrade offensively. As for "past his prime" - he's not having a career best season, but he's actually pretty close, and has an OPS above his career norm. I would be shocked if the Brewers didn't pick his option up.

It always amazes me evey time that Corey's name is mentioned everyone wants him moved. The thought they we would ever move him from right field is just plain wrong.

He has 4 outfield assist should have at least 8 if a Kendall and JJ had made the plays. One game Corey threw home Kendall swiped at the ball and Bush forgot to back up the play and he was given the error. His arm is way above average according to every announcer that does play by play.

They all mention that Braun has not made any errors, but they all are also quick to say that he lays back on a lot of balls hit at him and doesn't take a chance on a lot of balls. Corey try's to make most of those plays thus sometimes resulting in an error.

I just don't think that Braun is close to being a right fielder. Just leave him in left, let him learn and continue mashing the ball.

If we have the same OF right now as in Opening Day 2009 with Kapler as our 4th OF and whoever else as the 5th OF, then that is completely fine by me. I just don't see how you can go with Tony Gwynn Jr or Michael Brantley at this point in CF in 2009 when you have a better option at a reasonable price in Cameron.

I think we should bring that Cameron "Disappointment" thread back and see if we have the same line of thinking.

Cameron has been everything that we could have hoped for and more. He has good power with a solid OPS and plays gold glove caliber CF. I will be very upset if we dont bring him back next year. Kapler has been a nice surprise as well and wont cost much so we should bring him back as well. Outfield is the strength of the team as is and we should keep it that way. The position to worry about is 3B because Hall has regressed once again.

I don't think the FO has any interest in Hart at CF. He could play there, and his offense would mean that he would be ok as an overall player, but overall he hasn't been good defensively. He certainly makes great plays, but there are plays he doesn't make either. I believe that the FO thinks that improved defense has helped this years pitching staff be better, and that last years horrid defense was a part of the collapse.

The Brewers picking up Cameron's option is the best $10 million the Brewers could spend this offseason. None of their own players are likely to be close to average there and there aren't any FA that I would want there. Plus, I just like the guy, he's fun to root for, and he seems to really fit in the clubhouse. That shouldn't be a major factor in the decision, but I think it might have some influence.

Yeah I don't see how we can go into next year without getting someone else for 3B. I can live with Weeks at 2B and wouldn't mind Durham coming back to semi platoon with him, we are stuck with Kendall at C I just hope Rivera gets more playtime, I'm ok with Cameron back in CF. We'll need some pitching help of course.

I'd keep Cameron as well. If he produces again, he could be a Type B or maybe A after next season.

And not to get off the topic too much--what about bringing back the Branyan/Hall platoon as well? Is it for certain that we'll lose Branyan?

I like Cameron, but I think 10M is too much too pay when we're going to need every penny for SP. Further, part of the reason this is only an average offensive team, is the lack of R/L and Power/OBP balance. I would rather see them go with one of our young guys in CF. Brantley .331/.409, 25 steals, LH bat, and only 22 strikeouts in 390 AB. Cain is an option too. Cain might be farther along defensively since he is the one playing CF at Huntsville.

I don't think the FO has any interest in Hart at CF. He could play there, and his offense would mean that he would be ok as an overall player, but overall he hasn't been good defensively.

I agree completely. Corey has been simply decent in RF, but nothing exceptional. I don't think he's shown enough in right to suggest that he can handle CF well over 162. In a pinch or for a few days if Cam got banged up or something, sure, but not every day.

Cameron has been everything that we could have hoped for and more. He has good power with a solid OPS and plays gold glove caliber CF. I will be very upset if we dont bring him back next year. Kapler has been a nice surprise as well and wont cost much so we should bring him back as well. Outfield is the strength of the team as is and we should keep it that way. The position to worry about is 3B because Hall has regressed once again.

Could not agree more. He's 137 points higher on OPS than Hall, and Hall spent a good amount of time platooning against lefties. Cameron and Kapler should both be back. The offense can not take another year of horrendous offensive performance from Bill Hall. The only problem is we have a choice on Cam's contract...we're locked in with Hall.

This may be off subject, but why is Hall hitting in front of Cameron with that dramatic of a difference in offensive statistics (other than Ned used a Sharpie and a Xerox to fill out the position portion of the lineup cards). Cam should be in the 6 hole.

Brantley has an ISO of .086--that's just isn't going to cut it. He can develop power, but next year you'd have Juan Pierre at best. Cain might finally be coming on but a BABIP of .370 in AA flashes large warning lights.

As to Kapler-he's decent because he can play CF, but as his BABIP falls, ie he stops being lucky, he'll return to what he was in Boston

Braun and Hart are back, and Cameron is probably 60-75% back. I have Brantley penciled in to take over sometime in 2010, or maybe be a reserve in '10 and take over in '11, but that's all silly BA style stuff.

If Cameron does not return, they'll continue to look for a lefty bat who can play CF, and I'll be forced to bring up Dave Dejesus weekly at Ramblings.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
The Brewers are in their "window of opportunity" right now. These next few years are not the years to try to fill key spots on the cheap with the Scott Podsedniks, Lyle Moutons, and Mike DeJeans of the world. That being said, the team isn't now and never will be in a position where they can spend freely just for the sake of spending, but if you're expecting to be a contender, I just don't see anything that might be available that will be more appealing than Cameron at 10 mil.

Archived