Brewer Fanatic

Witrado's Blogs

eanelson4
Q: Glenn of Phillips - What's the deal with the Brewers pulling out their shirts after a win? Who started this trend?

A: Brewers Mailbag - The team explination for this is when a working man gets off of work, what is the first thing he does? Untucks his shirt. That is their explination, not mine. Now, can we PLEASE, FINALLY stop asking about this? PLEASE!

Brilliant. Do they not have spellcheck on their blog reporting tools? I guess I would expect a little more of a beat writer than 4th grade spelling errors.

EDIT: Fixed spelling of title. - BtA

eh, i don't think it's a big deal. he has to answer a certain number and i'm sure is getting them done as fast as possible. why take the time to check for one or two errors? and i'm sure he counts on the copy editors to catch his spelling in his normal reporting.

like bork, there doesn't seem to be much point in reading them. it's either questions that we've brought up here a week before or yet another person who's in love with TGJ and wants him up on the team.

In yesterday's Witrado mailbag, here is the first question in its entirety:

Q: Spaulding of Omaha, NE - What are the chances, with Rickie Weeks still playing absolutely horribly and now reinjuring his thumb, that Ned Yost will finally bench him and let Ray Durham finish out the year at 2B? Is this even being discussed?! And why is he still batting leadoff?! Weeks hurts our chances of winning with each at bat and each ball hit in his direction. You can't even say he's worthless. Being worthless would imply no impact. Weeks has definitely had an impact - but it's been far from positive. Does no one within the organization see Weeks play as problematic?

A: Brewers Mailbag - In the last mailbag, I failed to answer a question completely and had some emails about it. So for anyone wondering why teams don't trade draft picks, it is because MLB rules don't allow picks to be traded. I answered the question as to why this might be the case without actually stating the rule. My aplogies, as I am still learning all the rules of the game, of which are there are about 800 truckloads. Again, I will try to be more informed when answering these questions. Now for this week's bag... I think people in the organization see that Weeks has hurt the team but Ned Yost will stay loyal to his second baseman, this I have no doubt about. It seems that Yost is going to be Stubborn on this one, and I don't know why. Everyone in the press box is sort of baffled by this one.

But here is one snippet that allowed me to lose ALL respect for Witrado:

I failed to answer a question completely and had some emails about it. So for anyone wondering why teams don't trade draft picks, it is because MLB rules don't allow picks to be traded. I answered the question as to why this might be the case without actually stating the rule. My aplogies, as I am still learning all the rules of the game, of which are there are about 800 truckloads. Again, I will try to be more informed when answering these questions.
You would think a medium-sized Metropolitan newspaper like the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel would have hired a beat writer who actually had more knowledge of the game than this. On top of all of that, his mailbags are absolutely brainless. The people who send Witrado questions basically have no knowledge of the game at all. But then again it was inevitable since the Brewers have gotten many new fans since they started winning ballgames and the casual or bandwagon fan have started to re-emerge at Miller Park.

But to add to my previous statement, I have met a couple sports writers outside of Milwaukee and the guy I worked for at the Beloit Daily News (Jim Franz) knows more about the facets of the game than Witrado and it makes me wonder how in the world the MJS hires these guys. I remember Michael Cunnigham a few years back and he was more informed than Witrado is.

I have heard from a pair of writers who say they have no idea how TW lucked his way into such a coveted assignment that many guys would have given their left...arm for. Judging on his writing and immaturity, he hasn't stepped it up since then. He's said hello to his west coast peeps in the game blogs so much, I quit reading them.

One person said he could barely handle preps, "borrowing" quotes from coaches in the pre-game because he was at the snack stand, misspelling names, and so on. One particular writer said "I almost turned in my press badge" the day he found out Tony was a Brewers' beat writer.

clearly, we need to get a petition going to get BTA or another knowledgeable bf.netter hired as Brewers beat writer for next season. mailbags with non-snarky, actual answers? that'd be awesome.

now I suddenly wonder if Witrado knows what OBP is.

Archived