Brewer Fanatic

Waukesha Northwoods team

Patrick425

If this belongs in the minor leagues section, feel free to move it.

Not sure how many people caught this, but living in Waukesha and being very involved in youth baseball in Waukesha, I have been getting a lot of emails about this over the past several months and now it looks like it will become a reality starting next year. I'm pretty excited about this...another local venue to catch some exciting, quality baseball.

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=785786

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

Awesome. I can't believe there were people who were against this. Not only actual voters but people putting their opinions in the Freeman etc.

I live in Waukesha and I wasn't a real big supporter of this. Not sure what kind of upgrades are going down, just don't want it to look out of place in the park. Plus, if I want to attend a ballgame, it'll be an MLB game.

Plus, if I want to attend a ballgame, it'll be an MLB game.
You do know that most MLB players played minor league ball at some point, right? In fact I think about 25 players who are either currently on active MLB rosters or were at some point this year played ball in the Northwoods league at some point in their careers.

Sounds kind of like my father in law who really enjoys watching NFL games but will not watch 1 second of a college game. I always try to remind him that most NFL players played college ball at some point.

While, yes, watching the higher quality of baseball that is played in the majors is worth the price of admission, I pretty much enjoy watching baseball at any level. I'll happily spend $5 - $10 to watch guys play their hearts out for the dream of one day reaching the show.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

It's not fair or accurate to call the Northwoods minor leagues
Ok sir, I sincerely apologize to anyone I may have offended by calling them a minor league team. Yikes. Instead of taking this repremanding type tone..couldn't you just say. "The Northwoods League is really not considered minor leagues"?

The point of my statement was that, minor league or not, there are several players from that league that have gone on to play in the majors and that watching players play purely for the love of the game can be refreshing.

Instead of taking this repremanding type tone..couldn't you just say. "The Northwoods League is really not considered minor leagues"?

It isn't the minors in any shape or form. A lot of people that are not familiar with the Northwoods, assume it is a minor league or indy league -- which it isn't -- just clarifying.

The point of my statement was that, minor league or not, there are several players from that league that have gone on to play in the majors and that watching players play purely for the love of the game can be refreshing.

No arguments here.

Unless your a person who lives in Waukesha I can't see how this will draw people. I can't stand driving in Waukesha because the streets are so screwy. Plus, in this portion of town there's really no where to park.

Like others have mentioned however, there won't be additional cost in (other than what the team is paying) if the idea bombs and at least the field gets an upgrade. So I guess there's not a down side...

If it's close to I94, they'll draw from about 30 minutes away.

Lots of the people who go to these games are 55+ and families, and while they go to Brewers' games, they are often looking for a cheap alternatives. You can easily have both in a metro market, even some cities have an NHL and minor league hockey.

Ive lived in Eau Claire and now Lacrosse. Both have pretty successful Northwoods teams. I've seen about 50 games over the last 3 years. To me, the level of play is close to what you would see in a solid D-1 college program. Not college world series stuff, but still not bad. It's fun and it is an inexpensive way to get to a game. If it creates some energy for the game in a city, then it is good for baseball. What I have liked is the pitch to kids and families that I have seen.

There have been rumblings of a NWL team heading to Waukesha for a few years now, and I'm happy to see it happen. I know initially people opposed having the projected attendance that a minor league team could draw (3,000-5,000), and I know a big part of the NWL becoming a reality in the area is that the projected attendance will max out between 1,500 and 3,000.

The Wisconsin teams (Madison, Eau Claire, Wausau, La Crosse, Green Bay) are among the most successful in the league, and I'm sure Waukesha will continue that.

I'm excited because Frame Park is 15 minutes away from my park, and of course because I have covered the league through my work with PG for the past 3-4 years.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I used to love playing at Frame Park when I was in high school. I think they'll do well there.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

davego[/b]]Ive lived in Eau Claire and now Lacrosse. Both have pretty successful Northwoods teams. I've seen about 50 games over the last 3 years. To me, the level of play is close to what you would see in a solid D-1 college program. Not college world series stuff, but still not bad. It's fun and it is an inexpensive way to get to a game. If it creates some energy for the game in a city, then it is good for baseball. What I have liked is the pitch to kids and families that I have seen.

I think the league does well in Eau Claire and Lacrosse because there aren't as many CONVENIENT options there when it comes to watching sports. UW-Milwaukee has a D-1 College program and they draw about 20 people a game.

Community Moderator

It all depends on the marketing and game experience. If they do it right like the Madison Mallards, they will bring in a few thousand per game. Otherwise they will only draw 500-1000.

The success of the Brewers should only help by getting more people interested in seeing baseball again. The actual cost to go to one of these games is about 1/4 the cost of a Brewers game when you throw in free parking and cheap concessions.

Does anyone have suggestions for the team name?

The story as linked above mentions that the stadium is going to have a seating capacity of 1,700. I'm not sure if there is going to be standing room or party decks such as the stadiums in Green Bay, La Crosse, Eau Claire and Madison, but at that small of a figure, it's clear they're not going for the same experience that the Mallards provide (which is probably a good thing, because Mallards games are about anything but the game itself).

You do know that most MLB players played minor league ball at some point, right? In fact I think about 25 players who are either currently on active MLB rosters or were at some point this year played ball in the Northwoods league at some point in their careers.

While, yes, watching the higher quality of baseball that is played in the majors is worth the price of admission, I pretty much enjoy watching baseball at any level. I'll happily spend $5 - $10 to watch guys play their hearts out for the dream of one day reaching the show.

I'm aware of what comprises the Northwoods League, also cognitive that many players reach the majors. Irrelevant. It's a bunch of guys from out of state I've never heard of, whom only play a year or two, playing college level baseball. How am I suppose to develop any attachment?

If I wish to see amateur baseball, for a buck I can see a Home Talent game.

I'm aware of what comprises the Northwoods League, also cognitive that many players reach the majors. Irrelevant. It's a bunch of guys from out of state I've never heard of, whom only play a year or two, playing college level baseball. How am I suppose to develop any attachment?

If I wish to see amateur baseball, for a buck I can see a Home Talent game.

You pay a buck to see a Home Talent League game? In my town it's free admission...a can of beer is only a buck, too. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Archived