Brewer Fanatic

What do we do next season? Durham or Weeks?

I was wondering what you Brewer Fans think we should consider for next season? Have the Brewers given up on Weeks? The lack of production and the ability to stay healthy are some concerns. Also, Weeks can't seem to put together a full season without having an injury or slump slow his progress. He cant seem to break the .230avg and a.360 OBP in a full season either. Do you see the Brewers shipping away Weeks for a pitcher if we lose the two aces? Or do we give him another chance because he has "so much upside"?

On the other hand, Durham looks like he still has a couple really good years in the tank. He has a great avg for a leadoff hitter and has an OBP around .380. I'm not sure what I want to see next season? I cant deal with Weeks not taking the next step year after year. He's what 25, has plenty of trade value still....

What are you guys thinking? I rather see Durham next season...

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'd rather see neither of them. Although I don't know what the Brewers have to replace them. I think Durham's days as an everyday 2nd basemen are over. If Durham could play other positions I would rather have him than Counsell. I still believe Weeks is going to have a real good season soon, but it won't be with the Brewers. He may need a change of scenery.

Last year Durham hit .218 / .295 / .343 in 464 at-bats, with 11 home runs. Who's to say he's not going to do that again?

I don't know what you mean about Rickie not being able to break the .230 average and .360 OBP--- in fact, in his 3 years with 350 or more at-bats, he hasn't hit lower than .230, he's been .239, .279, .235, and his OBPs have been .333, .363, and .374. He has broken those 6 potential thresholds that you say he can never seem to break 5 times in his career.

I'd rather see neither of them. Although I don't know what the Brewers have to replace them. I think Durham's days as an everyday 2nd basemen are over. If Durham could play other positions I would rather have him than Counsell. I still believe Weeks is going to have a real good season soon, but it won't be with the Brewers. He may need a change of scenery.
See thats what I was talking about with some friends. I think a trade would jump start his career. I dont get why the guy has such problems. I always thought he could be a 30 HR player and hit around .280... I just dont see that here..

Last year Durham hit .218 / .295 / .343 in 464 at-bats, with 11 home runs. Who's to say he's not going to do that again?

I don't know what you mean about Rickie not being able to break the .230 average and .360 OBP--- in fact, in his 3 years with 350 or more at-bats, he hasn't hit lower than .230, he's been .239, .279, .235, and his OBPs have been .333, .363, and .374. He has broken those 6 potential thresholds that you say he can never seem to break 5 times in his career.

I meant to say in a full season. He will never put those up in a full season. And projected numbers dont mean anything. Until he proves it...

Durham can't play every day and there is a good chance he'll be terrible next year, that is not a solution at 2B.

I'm fine with Weeks staying as the 2B, I also wouldn't mind seeing us sign someone like Orlando Hudson.

For all the complaints about Weeks we have two offensive players worse than him in the lineup almost every game in Hall/Counsell and Kendall and Weeks has been pretty decent since mid May with a line of .258/.340/.418/.748 which isn't that bad at 2B. If he were a decent fielder I'd really want to be patient with him another year, since he isn't I'm pretty open to replacing him with the proper player.

Check out this page and look at the comparable players. None of them say superstar, baseball great, or power hitter. Just guys. I think no matter what, Rickie is going to be just OK in Milwaukee. A name that comes to my mind when I think of Rickie is Glenn Braggs. Lots of hype, lots of potential, but not realized.

I wouldn't mind seeing Weeks getting moved out of the lead off spot in the lineup. Maybe trade for DeJesus and put him at the lead off spot even though I don't believe DeJesus is any better than Weeks is at the lead off spot. Putting Weeks in the 6th or 7th spot in the lineup could make Weeks the hitter he was when he first came up.

I meant to say in a full season. He will never put those up in a full season. And projected numbers dont mean anything. Until he proves it...

In those seasons he played 96, 95, and 118 games. Maybe a better way to prove this is to point out his 162-game averages: .244 / .350 / .402. That OBP isn't above your .360 line, but is that really relevant?

And the point stands about Durham, who at age 36 put up a 65 OPS+ last year. I'd never trust him with anything more than a backup job.

To say Rickie will never put those numbers up in a full season is projecting his future numbers, but you try to counter what I will project by saying that doesn't mean anything. I think it's reasonable to project a line of .240/.350/.400 yet this year, and obviously next year. That's better than what you can project for Durham.

brewjihad[/b]]I meant to say in a full season. He will never put those up in a full season. And projected numbers dont mean anything. Until he proves it...

In those seasons he played 96, 95, and 118 games. Maybe a better way to prove this is to point out his 162-game averages: .244 / .350 / .402. That OBP isn't above your .360 line, but is that really relevant?

And the point stands about Durham, who at age 36 put up a 65 OPS+ last year. I'd never trust him with anything more than a backup job.

To say Rickie will never put those numbers up in a full season is projecting his future numbers, but you try to counter what I will project by saying that doesn't mean anything. I think it's reasonable to project a line of .240/.350/.400 yet this year, and obviously next year. That's better than what you can project for Durham.

I see get what you saying, but is that acceptable? Or have we come to just realize that is what we will get from him? I cant live with all the potential and less than avg numbers. I cant be that only one?

Community Moderator

I'm not ready to give up on Weeks.

Unless he has a terrible September, I would like to see him starting again next year. However, Hardy should be getting some reps at 2B in Spring Training. If Weeks bombs April like he did this year, then you move Hardy to 2B and call up Escobar.

He's too good of a talent to give up on just yet.

Well, for this year I like Durham over Weeks.

For next year I like Weeks, unless one of these things happens.

1. We can swing a trade for Brian Roberts.

2. We have some combo of Hardy/Escobar as our middle infield. Escobar can also take over for Weeks as our lead-off man.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

For next year I like Weeks, unless one of these things happens.

1. We can swing a trade for Brian Roberts.

2. We have some combo of Hardy/Escobar as our middle infield. Escobar can also take over for Weeks as our lead-off man.

I see that happening soon, but by next year Im not sure that soon. If the Brewers bring up Escobar and he flat out shows he can make the roster and start then we trade Weeks. Do we just wait until mid-season next year or how many of you guys think Esco will be ready by mid season next year?

Why? Weeks is expected to be better and has been better than Durham since the start of July. Durham will probably have better stats than Weeks at the end of the year, but Weeks will put up better stats than Durham during Durham's time as a Brewer. I would put my faith in the young guy that has underperformed expectations than in the old guy who has played above expectations.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I really like Weeks, but I think it would be best for both to part ways this offseason. He'll put up some .380/.450 seasons for somebody. I just think he's a guy that could use a change of scenery.

Durham surely isn't the answer for the Brewers beyond this year. If he could play multiple postions, he'd be a very nice backup, but that of course isn't the case.

Hudson would be a nice player for the Brewers. They'd probably have to trade Hardy and bring up Escobar to take on that kind of salary.

I think Escobar will be an 8th hitter for his first couple of seasons, as I don't think he's gonna put up a .330ish BA in the bigs like he is in AA. With his OBP almost all coming from BA, it might be kind of ugly the first year or so.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Weeks should be starting 2B in 2009. His value is probably not that great right now - sure, lots of GMs probably want him but based on his performance no one is probably willing to give up much to get him.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I'm not sure why everyone is certain that Hardy can play second base. He's a sure handed, strong armed shortstop with average range. He profiles as a good fit at third defensively, but I don't see him fitting at second base because I think his range would be below average over there.

I wouldn't be surprised if Hardy demanded a trade if the Brewers tried moving him to 2B. And players in general don't move in their prime

Escobar is benefiting greatly from a BABIP of .389. That'll fall greatly and he could use another year to surpass Craig Counsell power levels.

If the Brewers cannot get what they want in trade lets do another 'infielder turned outfielder' and put Weeks in CF and move Hardy to SS to make room for Escobar. Keep Durham for another year if Weeks does, indeed, goes to CF. Then, jettison Cameron who is not worth the money he is scheduled to make in 2009.

I am sick and tired of people saying: He's expected... He's predicted to... He's got so much upside...

Year 1: He's a rookie... ok, sure, given.

Year 2: Sophmore slump... just another excuse for under producing.

Year 3: AVG/OBP Production is horrible for his spot, but defense improved a bit.

IMO three strikes ( which he seems to do alot ) and your out.

Durahm is over the hill. I believe his perfomance since joining the Brewers is based off of adrenaline becuase he's actually on a team that gives a crap and has hopes for the post season.

I would like to see Escobar move from SS to 2b and lead off in 09, trade Ricky for CASH & try to sign CC ( will be tough, but I think its doable ), Drop Camerons 10M option, Corey to CF, Gamel to RF, and Riverakendal catching duo 60/40.

sorry, just pissed of all the let downs RW has given us over the past years...

I'm not sure why everyone is certain that Hardy can play second base. He's a sure handed, strong armed shortstop with average range. He profiles as a good fit at third defensively, but I don't see him fitting at second base because I think his range would be below average over there.
I agree. Hardy is a much better fit at 3rd as I don't feel he is athletic enough to play 2nd. I would like to see the Brewers pull off a trade to get Roberts from Baltimore for Weeks while Rickie still has some trade value. I feel like Weeks has been this can't miss stock that the Brewers keep holding onto with the hopes that it'll shoot up and show it's great potential, but instead it keeps declining in value. The problem is, it's a high risk bet and they could be left with nothing if they don't trade him soon enough.

As for Durham, he fits a need this season as a left handed complement to Weeks. I would be very surprised if the Brewers tried to sign him for next year as he is not good enough to be an everyday starter, and he's too expensive to come off the bench.

Archived