Brewer Fanatic

Ushers at Miller Park

panthernick
Regarding the not letting fans back to their seats 'till a stoppage in play...

I really, really, hope they do this for the playoffs.

I think they should institute it right away.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My trip to AT&T in San Francisco was a breath of fresh air when it came the fan experience. The ushers there were amazing. Right before the game a family started walking down to their seats. One of the children had a big yellow sign made up that she was hoping would get shown on TV. An usher took the girl aside before she took her seat and very politely explained to her when she could hold up the sign and when it was not allowed. And she also explained in way that the little girl could understand, that holding up a sign will block the view of the people behind her. I complimented the usher after seeing her be so polite about the situation. The ushers there also will not allow fans to return to their seats until there is a stoppage in play. I think this rule has rubbed off on the fans there because I didn't notice many fans getting up and leaving their seats until the end of innings. The ushers are also quick to sit down the idiots who stand up and wave while talking on their cell phones during the middle of the game.

It's be really nice to see Miller Park start following this type of example, because it really made all the difference in the world when it came to enjoyment of the games. I know it would probably cause some uproar if these changes were made, but I think everyone would be able to settle into the rules over time. The ushers will also have to learn to be polite but firm. I've seen some ushers take an almost personal vendetta against some fans who really didn't deserve it. Although they have to deal with much more drunken bafoons than they do in SF.

Whatta bout the pop and beer that the slobs (like me) and their kids who spill all over the place? And the general garbage wrappers and cups? C'mon people, itsa ballpark! You are okay Nick - as long as your aren't spitting the seeds on someone else.......

It doesn't make sense for a stadium to give a hard time to the people buying things (food, beer, pink baseball bats) because people sitting in the seats are annoyed that they are getting up and buying things. Well, annoyed they're getting up at annoying times to spend money anyway.

I dislike it too when people get up in the middle of an inning (I don't mind the return part so much) but it doesn't make sense to give someone trouble who is holding $30.00 worth of beer and food in their hands because the cheapskate sitting next to them is annoyed they have to get up for a second.

It just doesn't make sense to harass the people spending the real money because the other people not spending money are annoyed. If I run a ballpark, I go out of my way to get people to get up at any time to spend gobs of cash on those kinds of profit margins and make the return trip just as nice so they don't feel uncomfortable doing it again.

And from a hardcore fan perspective, see it this way: they're spending money and supporting the team by buying things.

Now of course I'm the perfect fan when I go. I spend gobs of money on rip off beer (the game is just that much better with every beer...I'm there to party and have a good time. Like going to the bar) but I only get up between innings or some kind of longer stoppage and I stand in the entrance until the next batter is making his approach to the plate. I wish everyone did this but I stopped caring a long time ago. It's not going to change and it doesn't make sense for the ballpark to change it.

I know who you are speaking of. I just can't see an usher enforcing it for one "genre" of people and then let the 80yr old woman go to the bathroom only to hear an uproar from the 20-somethings who just got told to remain in their seats. Uniform enforcement is fair, yet can't be obtained w/ this problem.

Would it be easier to put signs up when you walk to your seat from the concourse(similar to the watch out for flying bats and balls) that says "please refrain from leaving your seat until inbetween innings".

( '_')

( '_')>⌐■-■

(⌐■-■)

I know who you are speaking of. I just can't see an usher enforcing it for one "genre" of people and then let the 80yr old woman go to the bathroom only to hear an uproar from the 20-somethings who just got told to remain in their seats. Uniform enforcement is fair, yet can't be obtained w/ this problem.

Would it be easier to put signs up when you walk to your seat from the concourse(similar to the watch out for flying bats and balls) that says "please refrain from leaving your seat until inbetween innings".

But what about the impulse buy? You can't let these people think it over and convince themselves they don't need the nacho fries in a baseball helmet. Also, you're assuming most people in attendance know what an inning is, much less what it means to be between them.

As an aside, I'm not sure how many people travel to densely populated places, are often around large groups of people etc. But you get all types. You also tend to learn that it isn't their problem they're annoying you. You learn that you have to stop being annoyed by little things and ignore them. Maybe some person gets up every 2 innings at bad times or takes forever to sit down in front of you. Look around them. Maybe some guys are drinking, having a good time and swearing a bit. Ignore them and if you have kids with you take that opportunity to teach them why this is low class behavior (or sit in the family section). Or maybe someone is a fan of another team and is acting like they're winning the world series after every called ball. Cheer for your team then.

The point is we don't need rules and laws etc because someones ideal of a baseball game is being violated. Just stop worrying about other people and focus on enjoying yourself. Don't let people ruin your good time and if anyone has a problem with you ignore them. I've seen too many people just sit there like wet blankets, angry because someone around them was ruining their good time. The only person who loses is the person feeling like that.

As an example, I hate the wave when the Brewers are down or tied or its close and it's the 4th inning, etc. I found that because everyone around me doing it is an idiot, it's more fun to just mock them. Yeah I hate how they get up every 10 seconds trying to get the thing going and I miss pitches, etc. Whatever. It's not going to ruin my good time.

If you can't stand being around lots of different kinds of people for a few hours then stay home. There's idiots everywhere. Learn to ignore them and be happy.

holybannana wrote:

But what about the impulse buy? You can't let these people think it over and convince themselves they don't need the nacho fries in a baseball helmet.

impluse buys aren't that impulsive anymore when you have to wait in line 10 mins to get said nachos.

Also, you're assuming most people in attendance know what an inning is, much less what it means to be between them.

If you think that low of the fans at Miller Park(I don't), you can always rephrase it to say "when play stops"

As an aside, I'm not sure how many people travel to densely populated places, are often around large groups of people etc. But you get all types. You also tend to learn that it isn't their problem they're annoying you. You learn that you have to stop being annoyed by little things and ignore them. Maybe some person gets up every 2 innings at bad times or takes forever to sit down in front of you. Look around them. Maybe some guys are drinking, having a good time and swearing a bit. Ignore them and if you have kids with you take that opportunity to teach them why this is low class behavior (or sit in the family section). Or maybe someone is a fan of another team and is acting like they're winning the world series after every called ball. Cheer for your team then.

The point is we don't need rules and laws etc because someones ideal of a baseball game is being violated. Just stop worrying about other people and focus on enjoying yourself. Don't let people ruin your good time and if anyone has a problem with you ignore them. I've seen too many people just sit there like wet blankets, angry because someone around them was ruining their good time. The only person who loses is the person feeling like that.

My only problem with people getting up is when they do it right infront of me during a big AB or something. It's not "my ideal of a baseball game" it's common courtesy. Nobody complains when the "shut off your cell phones" flashes before a movie starts, and yet, if someone wants to talk on a cell phone, isn't that "just them having fun" and only "ruining someone else's ideal of watching a movie?"

As an example, I hate the wave when the Brewers are down or tied or its close and it's the 4th inning, etc. I found that because everyone around me doing it is an idiot, it's more fun to just mock them. Yeah I hate how they get up every 10 seconds trying to get the thing going and I miss pitches, etc. Whatever. It's not going to ruin my good time.

The difference is the majority of the people enjoy the wave(if they didn't, nobody would do it), and if the guy can't get it going, he/she usually stops after 4-5 tries.

(cleaned up code --1992)

( '_')

( '_')>⌐■-■

(⌐■-■)

Nobody complains when the "shut off your cell phones" flashes before a movie starts, and yet, if someone wants to talk on a cell phone, isn't that "just them having fun" and only "ruining someone else's ideal of watching a movie?" ...

The difference is the majority of the people enjoy the wave(if they didn't, nobody would do it), and if the guy can't get it going, he/she usually stops after 4-5 tries.

Hi, I was mainly being sarcastic with the first few lines.

Anyway, I don't see how starting a wave is any different. And if it can't get going after 5+ tries (I've seen 10+ attempts) doesn't that mean the majority of people don't want it and we're in the same situation? At least when people get up they're going to buy something or use the bathroom. And people getting up in front of me 5+ times to do the wave is more than the average person will get up to get food and beer as by then they're probably so full and bloated they're ready to puke. Plus, since when is Miller Park a democracy? It doesn't make it "right" compared to the other argument simply because more people enjoy doing it. Do the wave between innings. Or better yet, stop embarrassing yourself Milwaukee and never, ever do the wave again.

As for shutting off your cell phone: that's actually a rule that theaters have and you can be removed if you're talking on a phone. Also, the 2 environments are totally different with a baseball game being a large scale event and a theater being an intimate thing. Theaters don't have replay, it isn't OK to ask someone next to you what happened, etc.

(pared back long quote --1992)

The wave was started down the third base line of the terrace level by the second inning. I was worried it was going to be a long game, but it didn't last long, thank god.

I'm really starting to hate those clown-made balloon flowers they give to kids in the Kid Zone. I had to tell a family 4 rows down to put the damn thing down, I couldn't see home plate.

As for the ushers, yesterday I went to the bathroom between innings and came back when a guy was at the plate. My seats were in the second to last row from the top, so I wasn't going to make it to them between pitches. I stood off to the side at the bottom of the stairs, waiting for a good time to go up and the usher came over and yelled at me. I explained that I was waiting for a break in the action so as not to disturb people and he told me to move anyway. I was not in the handicap area, nor in a walkway. I was standing with my back to the wall and watching the game through a handrail.

If the ushers don't understand etiquette, how can we expect anyone else to?

I was at the game yesterday, and not one single wave that I noticed. It was great. I hope people let that "tradition" die for good.

The wave was started several times during extra innings, always when the Pirates were batting. It originated from the left field corner field level. It made it about 2 1/2 sections before petering out. I was borderline upset.

And people getting up in front of me 5+ times to do the wave is more than the average person will get up to get food and beer as by then they're probably so full and bloated they're ready to puke.

That's assuming only one person ever gets up infront of you during the middle of an inning.

Theaters don't have replay

Last time i checked, there isn't replay at Miller Park except for the TVs out in the concourse/suites.

(fixed code --1992)

( '_')

( '_')>⌐■-■

(⌐■-■)

I think the argument is exactly the same for movie theatres as discussed by berniebrewer. They do have replay for movies, it's called DVD, or in fact, you can purchase another ticket for an additional showing. You only get one chance to watch it live from your seat. Very seldom do you see replays of plays shown on the Miller Park video board that you can see from your seat. I have to agree that the Brewers will likely make no effort. And to be quite honest, it isn't their business to tell people how to be considerate of others. If people's parents or parental figures couldn't the message of respect for other people's property or somebody else's home (Miller Park, neighbor, whatever) or just general respect for others, than I don't think a few signs are going to get it across either. This goes back to the post that started the whole thread. Whether it was disrespectful of authority and somebody else's home to spit sunflower seeds on the the floor. There are obviously different views on it as has been discussed and that's what makes the world go around. I'll personally choose to treat others as I would be treated whether it be a friend's basement or a corporate facility such as Miller Park. If others don't choose the same, I'll agree with banana and say I won't get my shorts in a bind over it.

And to be quite honest, it isn't their business to tell people how to be considerate of others.

I think it is their business to protect a person's right to watch a game. Much the same as making people sit in their designated seats instead of buying Terrace Reserved and moving down into Diamond Box seats. That's just my opinion though. It could be debated that having such a policy would alienate some fans. I am sure it would, but not insituting some policy will also alienate fans.

If people's parents or parental figures couldn't the message of respect for other people's property or somebody else's home (Miller Park, neighbor, whatever) or just general respect for others, than I don't think a few signs are going to get it across either.

I disagree. Several posters have mentioned similar poicies that were in effect in other stadiums and said that there were fewer people getting up in the middle of innings. One particular post mention that a similar policy was in effect and then repealed resulting in more people getting up during innings.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

And to be quite honest, it isn't their business to tell people how to be considerate of others.

I think it is their business to protect a person's right to watch a game. Much the same as making people sit in their designated seats instead of buying Terrace Reserved and moving down into Diamond Box seats. That's just my opinion though. It could be debated that having such a policy would alienate some fans. I am sure it would, but not insituting some policy will also alienate fans.

I'm not sure I understand how the 2 arguments are related at all. The reason you can't "upgrade" your seat is because they want to protect the value of the seats. This is how they make people spend big money if they want good seats. Exactly how are these similar?

As well, I'm not sure there is so much a "right" as there is a certain code of conduct guests must follow or else be asked to leave peacefully or forcefully. I'm not certain a typical person would agree that this apparent right to watch a game is being violated because someone has to get up, etc. It isn't like they're standing in front of you the entire game.

What about tall people in front of you? People with hats on? People walking in the aisle that's in your line of view of the action? Where do you draw the line? At what point is it not a live sporting event (where you expect people getting up and moving around, side effects of alcohol consumptions such as rowdiness, some lewd language and greatly raised voices in conversation and other "typical" sporting event fare) but a night at the Opera?

I agree with the parent to your post that you can't enforce consideration, etc. I try and be considerate because it is my nature at these things but a lot of people just don't realize they aren't or don't care to be in the first place. But I'm not convinced they're necessarily doing anything that infringes on my overall viewing of the game at large.

I think it is a "right" that is implicit in the purchase of the ticket. I am purchasing the ability to view the game live. I have paid for my seat, same as anyone else there. A person blocking my view, being obnoxious, etc... is infringing on the rights granted to me by holding that particular ticket. Just because you are a few rows ahead of me doesn't grant you more right to see the game than I have.

...I'll personally choose to treat others as I would be treated whether it be a friend's basement or a corporate facility such as Miller Park....
Miller Park was built by long-suffering taxpayers, not a corporation or baseball club.

Miller Park was built by long-suffering taxpayers, not a corporation or baseball club.
Completely?

I had already moved to Florida when they started building Miller Park. I thought the taxpaying percentage was well less than half let alone all taxpayer dollars. Shows what I know I guess.

Thanks for the read. I've found other sites that show $310 million of $400 Million was from tax dollars or roughly 77%. I'm not sure what that has to do with respecting a building wether it be public or private or who built it? Our tax dollars pay for lots of buildings and community ammentities, but I'm not going to go around spitting on the ground or urinating on the walls. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Thanks for the read. I've found other sites that show $310 million of $400 Million was from tax dollars or roughly 77%. I'm not sure what that has to do with respecting a building wether it be public or private or who built it? Our tax dollars pay for lots of buildings and community ammentities, but I'm not going to go around spitting on the ground or urinating on the walls. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

You are the first to say it should affect the respect for the building.

But it couldn't hurt the courtesy level of Brewers employees to remember that their corporate facility was paid for by the public. And Brewers fans should remember all the ways they have been paying for the team.

I agree, but it's similiar to that argument when I was a law enforcement officer, the whole "I pay your salary" deal. It's just doesnt hold water for me. But there are plenty of people who analyze their tax dollars, get mad over where taxes go and feel they have some inherent right to something because of some tax, etc. It's not a right or wrong opinion and to each his own.

I agree, but it's similiar to that argument when I was a law enforcement officer, the whole "I pay your salary" deal. It's just doesnt hold water for me. But there are plenty of people who analyze their tax dollars, get mad over where taxes go and feel they have some inherent right to something because of some tax, etc. It's not a right or wrong opinion and to each his own.
You don't have to have a sense of entitlement because you know how the stadium is financed. There are too many people who should know and don't so they can't understand what kind of stadium Miller Park is (not a MillerCoors product even even if the team cap looks like one) or how free the owners are being with their money.

If the Brewers do the customer service continuing training some companies do they could remind the employees they're going to have to ask the customers to raise their taxes to build MillerCoors stadium some day. A business may be able to be very customer oriented and still keep its more than a few unruly customers in line.

Archived